C25K & musings

pamkb
on 5/12/11 11:54 pm - Crestview, FL
alrighty then - Week 1 is DONE and it went well and was able to complete each interval.  Made sure to stretch after each run so did not experience any muscle soreness but legs would feel tired and 'heavy' the next day.   Every other day I walk 5 miles and it is during this walk that I am doing my C25K training so I have just a "tad" more cool-down than a 5 minute walk.  I imagine the leg tiredness is normal??  I have no idea what is normal anymore, the morbidly obese life is gone; after 6 months and 80 pounds - everything is still so new & with another 60 pounds or so to go, it is still constantly changing.

Will do W2D1 on Saturday and am a little stressed about the 90 second intervals. 

For those who have found and championed the athlete inside, at times did you find yourself second guessing the ideas or belief that you could be an athelete?  I recently hired a personal trainer for strength training twice a week, and the days I am not doing my walk, I am doing zumba, spin or step aerobics with one complete day of rest.  Physically I feel great and sleep really, really well at night.  But a few times I have a mental stumbling block because in my head I am still a morbidly obese person and have no business envisioning running my first 5k and beyond.  Did you question your body's ability to really become an athlete?

I am creating my own revolution and PAMdemonium reigns!

RNY 11/16/2010

SW 270, CW 155, GW 135

1st 5k time 40:34 (Dec 2013)

Paul C.
on 5/13/11 12:02 am - Cumming, GA
As for your question about being an Athelete.  I question this most days I just have a hard time seeing myself as an athlete, I do what I do to prove to myself that I can do it, and for the most part I enjoy doing it and feel better after having done a race or a workout.

I even have a hard time considering myself a runner.  I run 5Ks and am training for a 10K and possibly a Half this year but when I see how "Runners".  I had met some runners who do a lot of marathons and my friend introduced me as a runner and I commented I was so far from being a runner.  They asked what I had done and talked about my workouts and then they said "You are a runner". 

I think I spent so many years doing nothing that I will really have to do a lot before I prove to myself that I am an athlete.  The people on this forum make doing so that much easier and enjoyable.
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
Kim S.
on 5/13/11 12:36 am - Helena, AL
A couple weeks ago my husband and I were jogging on the beach and a fisherman stopped us and asked if we were the runners that he almost snagged in his line...he wanted to apologize. 

We weren't, but I turned to my husband and said "he thinks we are RUNNERS!"  And you know what--WE ARE!

It takes a long time to consider yourself an athlete.  I still don't know if I consider myself an athlete.  I do consider myself fit and active....and that is an amazing accomplishment for me and the greatest one of this journey of which I'm most proud.

I was completely sedentary and had never in my life been active or athletic.  My life is completely different now.  I am more confident in my physical abilities after 2 years of committed exercising.  My confidence really soared once I was able to do all of the workouts in my P90X series.  It took me a long time to muster the courage to take my running outdoors....I did it in the safety of my basement on the treadmill.  One day I just put on my ipod and said "I'm going out".  Once I got on the path and started running and passing other runners, it hit me--this is for me, no one else.  I just did it.  And I've never stopped.  I love running, hiking and weight training now--and most importantly I love the way I feel and look!

You are so wise to make physical fitness a key part of your journey.  I suspect those of us that do will likely not be on the "Failed Weight Loss Surgery" or "Revision" boards!

Kim

redenallen
on 5/13/11 4:36 am
I feel exactly the same way you do.  I have always wanted to be an athlete.  I married a star athlete from our old "high school days"; hoewever, I have never been anywhere near athletic mainly due to my weight.  Now that I am in the gym 5+ days a week I am starting to see some potential but I too have the mental issues with my own self image or how I think others may perceive me.  My husband always comments on my dedication and how much progress I've made and I too am starting to shape and mold my thought processes to hone the athlete inside me.  I won't give up!  Most of the time when I am at the gym I target in on a person that appears to be physically fit and watch what they do.  That challenges me to push myself a little harder which is what I need sometimes.  Most of the time I surprise myself. 

fatfreemama
on 5/13/11 8:11 am - San Jose, CA
I've completed 3 half marathons, walking the first two and jogging/walking the third and finally ran my first 5K in 42 minutes. Am I an athlete? I still don't think so. After my first half, my mentor turned to me and said "You are now a long distance athlete". I've spent my whole life klutzy and unathletic, I don't know if I'll ever fully believe I'm an athlete. But I love how I feel, I love the shape my body is taking with the weight lifting (my arms are toned and shapely), and I don't ever want to stop.

Congrats on how far you've come. You've got the right attitude. Good luck with the C25K! If I can do it, anyone can.

Jan
Bay to Breakers 12K May 15, 2011 (1:54:40)           First 5K 5/23/11 (41:22)
Half Marathons: Napa:  7/18/10  (4:11:21)   7/17/11 (3:30:58)   7/15/12  (3:13:11.5) 

SJ Rock and Roll: 10/2/10 (3:58:22)  Run Surf City: 2/6/11 (3:19:54) 
                         Diva: 5/6/12 (3:35:00) 
HW/SW/CW  349/326/176
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Albert Einstein

jenna F.
on 5/14/11 11:20 pm
 Just wanted to let you know that you aren't alone in this! I am starting week 2 of C25K today and I have the same fears as you about being able to do this. However, I keep reminding myself that every day I am getting stronger and I  CAN DO THIS!!

pamkb
on 5/15/11 4:56 am - Crestview, FL
Yes, Jenna, WE CAN DO THIS!!

How did you W2 run go today.  I did W2D1 yesterday and felt good during and after but today, my legs feel heavy and tired.  They are going to have to recover alot if I am going to do D2 tomorrow.

Let's keep posting and encouraging each other through this!

I am creating my own revolution and PAMdemonium reigns!

RNY 11/16/2010

SW 270, CW 155, GW 135

1st 5k time 40:34 (Dec 2013)

jenna F.
on 5/15/11 6:10 am
 I haven't made it to the gym, gonna start week 2 tomorrow, will let you know how it goes :)

Are you doing a protein recovery shake after your workouts? I know that I have noticed a big difference in how I am the day after my workouts since I started having mine after I run.

jenna F.
on 5/15/11 11:50 pm
 Week 2 day 1 is done and I felt great!! I was really suprised at how much stonger my body is getting by doing this! The last run was the hardest but I pushed through and did it!

Most Active