Nervous - Feet falling apart.

Scott William
on 5/20/11 11:32 am
For 5+ years I have been running pretty much pain and injury free.  However, this March I was accepted into the Mt. Washington Road Race and have been really pushing the hill training.  As I sit here my feet are killing me.  My left big toe is painful at the second joint and both feet hurt right on the top middle of the foot. 

My guess is that I am overdoing it a bit as a result of my nervousness about the race.  My second race ever was a 12 miler and I was fine.  I have done two goofy's and been fine.  Never did I have any thoughts about not finishing but this race has gotten to me.  Part of me knows that with the relatively short distance (7.6) and generous finishing time, I will definitely finish.  Another part knows that I am in for 2+ hours of hell doing what many fat people don't do well and that's going up and I am still 255-260. 

I really don't even know what I want to get out of this thread.  I guess that putting my fears out there will help me get past them.  I do know one thing though - not getting to the start line because I am injured definitely won't help me finish.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
fatfreemama
on 5/20/11 11:53 am - San Jose, CA
 Scott, 

You have nothing to fear.  You've got this.  I mean look, you've done 2 goofys!  This is only 7.6 miles.  It may be up hill, but you've got this.  I do hill walking in Saratoga every Friday with a friend.  Well, last weekend I did Bay to Breakers in San Francisco, and there was one big hill which you know, in San Francisco, is big.  I was nervous about it but with all my Friday walking, it was a piece of cake.  You will do fine also. 

I don't know anything about your toe, but I do know that the times I had pain on top of my foot in the middle it was because my laces were too tight.  There's a vein that runs down the top of your foot that I was putting too much pressure on.  Don't know if that's your cause, but it's a thought.

GOod luck.  You've got this.
Jan
Bay to Breakers 12K May 15, 2011 (1:54:40)           First 5K 5/23/11 (41:22)
Half Marathons: Napa:  7/18/10  (4:11:21)   7/17/11 (3:30:58)   7/15/12  (3:13:11.5) 

SJ Rock and Roll: 10/2/10 (3:58:22)  Run Surf City: 2/6/11 (3:19:54) 
                         Diva: 5/6/12 (3:35:00) 
HW/SW/CW  349/326/176
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Albert Einstein

DANCBJAMMIN
on 5/20/11 1:49 pm - Fort Worth, TX
Dude, I had the same EXACT thing andpain happen to me after my first attempt at 100 miles. The answer was so simple. It was because of tight calfs! Find a chiro around you that does ART and have him help relaese the bound up muscle back by your a chiles tendon. It will be instant relief. Do not lose hope, this is normal when you start doing serious hill work! It is the same symptom as Plantar Fasciatis, but is showing up on top of the foot instead of bottom... The cause is the same though. Tight calfs. Do lots of stretching and getsome Active Release Technique ART! You will be just fine man...
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Scott William
on 5/20/11 7:30 pm
Thanks man.  Now I guess that I know the purpose of the thread.
Scott

mcarthur01
on 5/21/11 1:18 am - Cumming, GA
Good luck buddy, I don't have any better advice to give you... But with your experience, you'll be able to power through this.
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

Rob S.
on 5/21/11 9:09 am - DE
You may be suffering from plantar. Even if your not a good foot remedy is to take a tennis ball and roll it under foot for at least a minute on any of the pressure points. Especially the toes. May not work but I've done it for the past year and my feet are the only part of my body that do not hurt. 

You'll do fine on the hills. Live the dream.
Rob

Rob  

Scott William
on 5/21/11 8:31 pm
I went to the clinic yesterday and it's most likely gout. I thought that was only for old people and I'm not quite there yet. I was also unaware that it is completely debilitating and is as painful as anything I have experienced in the last 5-10 years. Hopefully the anti-inflamitorys will work. The good news is that I won't do it harm by using it so it comes down to how much pain I can handle with respect to exercise.
Scott

DANCBJAMMIN
on 5/21/11 11:30 pm - Fort Worth, TX
Just found this...

Gout

Gouty arthritis - acute; Gout - acute; Hyperuricemia; Tophaceous gout; Tophi; Podagra; Gout - chronic; Chronic gout; Acute gout; Acute gouty arthritis

Last reviewed: June 17, 2009.

Gout is a kind of arthritis that occurs when uric acid builds up in the joints.

• Acute gout is a painful condition that typically affects one joint.

• Chronic gout is repeated episodes of pain and inflammation, which may involve more than one joint.

Causes, incidence, and risk factors

Gout is caused by having higher-than-normal levels of uric acid in your body. Your body may make too much uric acid, or have a hard time getting rid of uric acid. If too much uric acid builds up in the fluid around the joints (synovial fluid), uric acid crystals form. These crystals cause the joint to swell up and become inflamed.

Not everyone with high uric acid levels in the blood has gout.

The exact cause is unknown. Gout may run in families. It is more common in males, postmenopausal women, and people who drink alcohol. People who take certain medicines, such as hydrochlorothiazide and other water pills, may have higher levels of uric acid in the blood.

The condition may also develop in people with:

The condition may occur after taking medicines that interfere with the removal of uric acid from the body.

Symptoms

Symptoms of acute gouty attacks:

• Symptoms develop suddenly and usually involve only one or a few joints. The big toe, knee, or ankle joints are most often affected.

• The pain frequently starts during the night and is often described as throbbing, crushing, or excruciating.

• The joint appears warm and red. It is usually very tender (it hurts to lay a sheet or blanket over it).

• There may be a fever.

• The attack may go away in several days, but may return from time to time. Additional attacks usually last longer.

After a first gouty attack, people will have no symptoms. Some people will go months or even years between gouty attacks.

Some people may develop chronic gouty arthritis, but others may have no further attacks. Those with chronic arthritis develop joint deformities and loss of motion in the joints. They will have joint pain and other symptoms most of the time.

Tophi are lumps below the skin around joints or in other places. They may drain chalky material. Tophi usually develop only after a patient has had the disease for many years.

After one gouty attack, more than half of people will have another attack.

Signs and tests

Tests that may be done include:

Treatment

Treatments for a sudden attack or flare-up of gout:

• Your doctor will recommend that you take nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as ibuprofen, naproxen, or indomethacin as soon as your symptoms begin. You will need to take prescription-strength medicines for 4 - 10 days.

• Your health care provider may occasionally prescribe strong painkillers such as codeine, hydrocodone, and oxycodone.

• A prescription medicine called colchicine helps reduce pain, swelling, and inflammation.

• Corticosteroids can also be very effective. Your doctor may inject the inflamed joint with steroids to relieve the pain.

• The pain often goes away within 12 hours of starting treatment, and is completely relieved in 48 hours.

Daily use of allopurinol or probenecid decrease uric acid levels in your blood. Your doctor may prescribe these medicines if:

• You have several attacks during the same year

• You have signs of gouty arthritis

• You have uric acid kidney stones

Some diet and lifestyle changes may help prevent gouty attacks:

• Avoid alcohol, anchovies, sardines, oils, herring, organ meat (liver, kidney, and sweetbreads), legumes (dried beans and peas), gravies, mushrooms, spinach, asparagus, cauliflower, consommé, and baking or brewer's yeast.

• Limit how much meat you eat at each meal.

• Avoid fatty foods such as salad dressings, ice cream, and fried foods.

• Eat enough carbohydrates.

• If you are losing weight, lose it slowly. Quick weight loss may cause uric acid kidney stones to form.

See also: Kidney stones

Expectations (prognosis)

Proper treatment of acute attacks allows people to live a normal life. However, the acute form of the disease may progress to chronic gout.

Complications

Calling your health care provider

Call for an appointment with your health care provider if you have symptoms of acute gouty arthritis.

Prevention

The disorder itself may not be preventable, but you may be able to avoid things that trigger your symptoms. Limit alcohol consumption and follow a low-purine diet.

Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Scott William
on 5/22/11 9:40 am
Thanks Dan.  I was sure before but this is definitely what's going on after reading this.  I am also going to ask my Chiro about the active release because that is still there when I finish on the treadmill.
Scott

Most Active