Training for 1st 10K...

JsSkinnyMom
on 8/19/11 3:59 am - Youngsville, LA
We have a local 10K coming up on Nov. 12th that I'd love to do.  It would be my first race.  The prob is that I just started running about 4 or 5 weeks ago.  The most I've ran is about 2.25 miles.  Do you guys think I could be ready in time to run 6 whole miles?  My pace Thursday morning was 13.56 so I'm clearly VERY slow.  I'm so scared that as I start trying to add miles that my pace will suffer (even more).  I think I'd be so embarrassed if I finished with a 15 minute pace.  I just don't want little old lady walkers to be flying by me!  lol  Do y'all have any advice, tips, etc?  I'm going to do a modified Jeff Galloway training program.  He starts you off at 20-25 minute sessions though so I've bumped up the times since I'm already able to run for about 33 minutes at a time.

Be honest.  If you think it's too soon or that I'd totally embarrass myself, I want to know!

Thanks guys!
 J's Skinny Mom  

HW 238 / SW 235 / CW 120  
ModestoK
on 8/19/11 5:58 am
I recently started doing the Couch to 5K training and noticed that they had information on 10K training as well.  So I don't have any practical experience and I've managed to pull a ligament in my hip so jogging is out for a couple of weeks for moi.  (Doing ellipical trainer instead; have no idea why jogging hurts but the machine doesn't???) 

Here is a link to Hal Higdon's 8 week 10K training:
http://www.halhigdon.com/10ktraining/10kintro.htm

With his Novice training, he starts you off running 2.5 miles.  You are almost there, and his program is for 8 weeks.  You have far longer than that.  I say go for it.

Training for your first 10-K

Week Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun
1 Stretch & strength 2.5 m run 30 min cross 2 m run
+ strength
Rest 40 min cross 3 m run
2 Stretch & strength 2.5 m run 30 min cross 2 m run
+ strength
Rest 40 min cross 3.5 m run
3 Stretch & strength 2.5 m run 35 min cross 2 m run
+ strength
Rest 50 min cross 4 m run
4 Stretch & strength 3 m run 35 min cross 2 m run
+ strength
Rest 50 min cross 4 m run
5 Stretch & strength 3 m run 40 min cross 2 m run
+ strength
Rest 60 min cross 4.5 m run
6 Stretch & strength 3 m run 40 min cross 2 m run
+ strength
Rest 60 min cross 5 m run
7 Stretch & strength 3 m run 45 min cross 2 m run
+ strength
Rest 60 min cross 5.5 m run
8 Stretch & strength 3 m run 30 min cross 2 m run
+ strength
Rest Rest 10-K Race

Oh yeah - the C25K also has some podcasts with good training music.  Joe Bob sez "Check it out."

Good luck!
Kim
                                      ~  Kim  ~

HW - 283        SW - 257.5     Goal - 156
Thanks to all the DS vets who have paid it forward - I <3 you guys!  
Looking for DS support & information?   Check out :     http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/index.cgi

CAnutfarmer
on 8/19/11 9:19 am
I'm currently following Hal Higdon's Half Marathon Training Program and it has been pretty easy to follow. You have plenty of time to do the program and can even repeat a few weeks if you like.

Don't worry about the pace. I'm really slow too and find that I don't get any slower while adding miles. Pretty consistent! LOL   

When you get to the race there will be people who will be faster, slower and everywhere in between. Have fun  : )

HW 254 SW 247 CW 162 GW 145  

First 5K                                        37:48
First Trail 1/2 Marathon            3hr 30min
First Regular 1/2 Marathon     3hr 7min
1/2 Marathon 5/20/12               3hr 6min
FitRD
on 8/23/11 1:23 pm, edited 8/23/11 1:23 pm
 JsSkinnyMom,
Congratulations on your running! It sounds as though you have considered a walk-jog-run program. One that lets you progress at your own pace and still master the race. How frequently are you working out? Jeff Galloway has a good reputation so I think you're on the right track. 10k is actually 6.2 miles (the .2 counts! (:) Consistency is the key to success and not perfection...sounds like you're on the right track. You'll need to listen to your body and prevent injuries at all cost. Another popular training method is heart rate training...having some sense of pace will allow you to also chart your progress. Never worry about embarrassing yourself-feel proud for taking on such an ambitious challenge. Be sure to check with your MD to see that you're taking the steps you need so that you can progress at your bodies best pace....best of luck! FitRD
JsSkinnyMom
on 8/23/11 9:39 pm - Youngsville, LA
I'm running 3 days a week, twice during the week and a "long" run on Sundays.  I'm trying to up my time each week.  Last week I ran about 33 minutes on my weekday runs and 41.5 on my Sunday run.  This Tuesday I ran 40 minutes.  I think I'll plan to do 40 again on Friday then 50 (???) on Sunday.  I also go to the gym a couple of times a week to XT.  Tonight I'll do a 1 hour zumba class and Thursday I'll do the weight room.  And to clarify, my pace is only running, no walking...I'm just THAT slow!  lol
 J's Skinny Mom  

HW 238 / SW 235 / CW 120  
FitRD
on 8/24/11 1:25 am
 JsSkinnyMom,
Wow! I cannot commend you enough! If the 10k (6.2mile run) is your current goal you'll have a few decisions to make. Training can be a bit like a recipe for cooking...there are several ways to get a great result, tastes are personal yet we need some main ingredients to call it the same dish. First, one of the standard rules of fitness is to focus on either intensity or duration when modifiying your program and never both. While cross training is a good strategy I find it's best once you have a base level of fitness. I believe you mentioned a 10 week time line before the race? At this time, I think it's best for you to focus on building that base...duration. Increase the number of times you have aerobic workouts (zumba will not give you the same result as the constant running). Distance is your new friend. What was your longest run? To help you improve your distance don't be afraid to alternate race walking and light jogging. Please, please, please stop the negative talk when it comes to speeeeeed! From what you suggested--the goal is to finish this 10K race...and that my friend I've no doubt in my mind & experience that you WILL DO! With 10 weeks out the focus is getting some longer distance workouts in...get those minutes up to 45-50-60 minutes 4-5 times per week. There no greater gain in forcing your body to run this all...ask yourself if I jog-race walk can I go longer? Can I even go longer that 1 hour? This is aerobic training (yes, you'll also be strengthening your body) the focus here will be aerobic training. You have time to think about speed after a good month of this training. My suggestion would be to get your workout up to 4-5 days per week and get your minutes up to 60 minutes (or more). (walk-run). You will be amazed that your time will come down naturally after you get this base training in. Training has a lot of moving parts...are you familiar with your heart rate? another great way to measure your progress...do you keep an exercise log? this will help you to monitor not only your training but also how you feel...we all have good days, better days and days that well....they could be better...probably the biggest lesson to learn is listening to your body--you're the only one that can hear it talk...learning how to push yourself enough but not too much so that you set yourself back...understanding your heart rate is interesting and also can be fun because as you get in better shape you'll notice how your system recovers faster and maintains a steady pace easier...the talk-test is a good measure as well...I hope this is helpful! I'd love to see you succeed at your personal goal! FitRD
Most Active