Need some advice for the Goofy Challenge

MacMadame
on 9/1/11 2:29 pm - Northern, CA
I'm trying to finalize my travel plans for our WDW Marathon Weekend trip. I'm curious when everyone else is coming and going, where you are staying, what kind of park passes are you getting, are you signing up the family for any of the spectator packages, etc.

Right now we're thinking of arriving on Wed. before. Mini-Mac and I might do the family 5k Fun Run on Thurs. Then the race on Sat. and Sun. Then fly home on Tues.

But I know some of you recommend doing the race at the beginning of your vacation, not the end. This plan has us doing it somewhere in the middle, which I can see as being less than ideal since that means I have to take it easy on Thurs. and Friday.

Also, are there any plans for us to get together as a group during the week and, if so, before or after the race?

We're thinking of staying in the park but at one of the value hotels. We will probably go over to Universal at least one day to see Harry Potter world, but the rest of the time we'll be on site so we don't plan to get a rental car.

What are other people doing?

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Sue M.
on 9/1/11 7:46 pm - Nantucket, MA
we haven't booked yet... but our plan is to fly in Friday morning and fly home Tuesday afternoon.  My boyfriend is a teacher, so he can't really take too much time off during the school year. :(

anyway, we decided that it was best for us to have time AFTER the race before getting on the plane.  we will go to a park on Monday just for fun and walk around as much as we feel ok about. 

We plan to stay at one of the Disney Value hotels, since the convenience is worth it!

I'm hoping "the gang" can meet up for dinner or Friday or something. 
Read my blog, BARIATHLETE   I run because I can.

First 5K race October 4, 2009   (34.59)  PR 5/22/11 (27:26)
First 5 Mile: January 1, 2011 (50:30)
First 10K: July 4, 2010 (1:03.26) New PR 4/10/11 (1:01.14)
First 10 Mile: April 11, 2010  (1:46.15)
First 1/2 marathon: June 13, 2010 (2:22.21)  PR: 5/1/11 (2:17.30)
First Marathon: October 16, 2011: 5:47:20

Goofy Challenge: January 7-8, 2012
If you think you can, you can.  If you think you can't, you're right. - Mary Kay Ash
superconducting
on 9/1/11 10:55 pm - Montgomery, NY
 I havent decided whether we're taking the kids or not, since they will have started school.  Generally with the kids we stay off in Buena Vista at a condo type hotel as its way more cost effective (we have 5).  If its just the wife and I, I am thinking of staying at wilderness lodge or animal kingdom.  We were there a few years ago for new years, and it was NUTS.. so my thought is for the park we'll do it after the race weekend if at all, it ought to be very calm and no lines at all, although I would think most of the crowds would be gone anyway the days before.

Seht
on 9/2/11 2:09 am
We are all booked. 

We are flying in on the Monday the 2nd and leaving on Monday the 9th
We are staying at one of the Disney affiliate hotes (Disney's All Star Movie Resort)

I wanted the race to be at the end of my vacation.  I didn't want any race injuries or pain/discomfort to ruin my families vacation.  This way we get all week to leisurely enjoy the parks and Florida attend the expo etc.  I'll race on the weekend then fly home the next day.

We will probably buy a park hopper pass.  I was thinking that my son might like to do one of the swamp tours down there in FL so we might do that one day, or we may just rent a car and be tourists.

It would be great to see everyone, have a meal or something together before the race.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

MacMadame
on 9/2/11 2:29 am - Northern, CA
Aren't you worried you'll show up at the race exhausted? I'm always going full tilt when I go to a theme park.

Seht
on 9/2/11 2:36 am
Nope I'm more worried about ruining my families vaction because I'm all cripled up and can't walk worth a damn the next day or two.  So I'd rather do the vacation part first and then the run at the end.

I hate feeling like I have to run through the parks.
Our general park attack is to leisurely walk through the park, see the sights, do some rides, go back to the hotel for lunch or a nap, then maybe go back for some more.  Do some window shopping, make a wish list do some pin trading. 

Besides we probably won't spend the whole time there.  We might go do one of the Gator swamp boat tours, or go check out some other attractions.  I was thinking of getting one of the Orland City Passes http://www.city-discovery.com/orlando/tour.php?id=4134

We can do that for the 3-4 days then I'll have some rest time, then the race.
We might even just spend a day sitting at the pool relaxing and drinking adult beverages ;-)

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

MacMadame
on 9/2/11 3:26 am - Northern, CA
I wasn't overly crippled after either of my IMs but I do see people hobbling around like they are 100 after. I figure I can tell my family to go to the parks without me on Monday, if necessary. 

Then again, maybe I should just go when it's cheapest. LOL

MacMadame
on 9/2/11 2:16 am - Northern, CA
The Wilderness Lodge is great! (We've stayed there, Carribean Beach Resort, and Port Orleans.) We think we'll stay at the Value hotels on site but I may work with a travel agent and be flexible.

We're talking our two kids. We've always taken our kids out of school for WDW because I think travel is educational.  My youngest's school agrees so that's not a problem. The oldest is in college. That may be trickier. 

Trying to decide if we should fly in Thurs. or Fri. If we get in really late on Fri., it's going to be awful to get up at, what, 3 am? to make it to the start line on time. But I'm not sure I'd want to tramp around the parks on Friday. It doesn't seem like a good taper strategy!

I found an airline sale where we can leave from Oakland (my favorite airport) and save $75 per ticket over SFO! But I'm sure it's going to go away soon so I have to decide. 

We're thinking of staying a week and maybe through the next weekend. Of course, I haven't added up the hotel cost for such a stay.... it's just that coming from CA, it seems not worth it if we don't stay a long time. We want to see all 4 parks and Harry Potter World so that's at least 5 days we'd need after the races.

Scott William
on 9/2/11 11:54 am
I have all my Disney race reports in my signature link. My first Goofy included hammering Magic Kingdom after the half on Saturday. That was a strategy that I would not recommend. I would also try to get there on Thursday. That leaves all day Friday to get your packet without being rushed. Knowing that you have to get your packet the day you arrive is stressful and irritating.

I would recommend getting together early on Friday (4 or 5pm). Perhaps the meal at the expo, which is at the wide world of sports complex, wouldn't be a bad idea because Disney will provide transportation for those without a car. Another suggestion is somewhere at Downtown Disney for the same reason. Also, I would set a designated meeting place for before the race to meet. Perhaps the W section for WLS. There are three staging areas before the races. The first is about 1/2 mile from where the bus drops you off. This is the family meet up area and as far as non-participants can go. Surrounding the perimeter are large letters A-Z so you can meet and find your people after the race. They also make good meet up markers before the race. The second staging area is through the baggage drop area. You will find about 3,000 port-o-potties through there. (Use the ones in the corners. Fewer lines for more toilets). After you get through there it's about another mile to the corrals. The energy and excitement is nearly overwhelming. Don't stop at the first bathrooms. There are more ahead.

What were we talking about again before I began to ramble...?
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
mcarthur01
on 9/2/11 10:27 pm - Cumming, GA
we will get there thurs or fri.  and go to the park on Monday.  I agree, with Scott, downtown disney for an early meeting 4 or 5 is good pon Friday, we needed to get on the bus @ 3am saturday, so the wakeup call was more like 2:30am.  take it easy on saturday, try to get a nap in, do the race sunday... do what you can sunday afternoon and go to "Marathon Monday", they started a new thing last year, if you complete the full marathon you bring a card they give you in your packet along with your medal and you get a one day one park pass for "free" on Monday.  We did Magic Kingdom last year, it was really awesome, there were thousands of Marathon finishers all wearing their shirts and medals limping around the park.  we stayed at saratoga springs across the water from downtown disney and found it was a really good lower cost alternative that had more apartment like room with full kitchens etc.
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

Most Active