Beginning weight training and related questions

melanieannd
on 7/16/12 6:16 am - TX
VSG on 06/13/12
Hello everyone, I am 1 month post-op from having VSG. I see my surgeon tomorrow and am anxious to find out when I will be cleared for weight training. In anticipation of that I had a few questions about said training. First of all, the primary goal is to loose weight. Coupled with that is the goal of losing primarily fat and keeping as much muscle as possible. I previously lost over 100 pounds on my own prior to a severe car accident, so I have had experience with doing weights. I read something about testing for your one rep maximum and testing every 6 weeks or so to test that you're improving. What I need to know is how do I figure out how much weight to begin with? Also, with my goals, what combination of sets/reps should I focus on?

Alternatively I had another question: what are the consequences of the lower body weight exercises? I have been wondering this for a long time. A few years ago when I was exercising every single day, I would do cardio 5 days a week and weights twice a week. Sometimes my lower body would be too sore from the weight training that I'd have to skip a day of cardio. If the lower body is worked during cardio, what additional outcome does weight training with the lower body involve?

Finally, when I do begin weight training, I plan on teaching/helping my husband who has never lifted weights. He is only slightly overweight, but his main goal is to work on losing his belly of course and build up his muscles. Is there anything differently I should have him do versus myself? I imagine he will be starting with heavier weights, but should he be doing more or less sets and reps as opposed to myself?

Thanks in advance for any input!

Check out my blog, http://www.missingmelanie.com and like me on Facebook. :) http://www.facebook.com/pages/Missing-Melanie/618740441485479

Kim S.
on 7/17/12 4:23 am - Helena, AL
You are wise to consider exercise an important part of your new lifestyle-by exercising regularly you can limit the amount of muscle loss during the weight loss phase.

The best thing to do is have a good plan for consistently changing the part of the body you are working and to have good variety.  Keep the body guessing what is coming next....in P90X it is referred to as muscle confusion...and it has worked very well for me.

I started cardio and weight training in August 2008-6 months before my surgery.  In the beginning, I would do upper body weights one day, then cardio the next, then lower body weights, then cardio, then yoga, then running, then a rest day.  Now, for weight work, I primarily do only upper body and use my running/hiking for my lower body work....my leg muscles were getting too big and it was making my pants legs too tight.

Try to start out with 5 lbs.  If that is too heavy, then back down, if too light, increase a bit.  The most important thing to remember in weight training is that proper form is crucial-and you should "feel" the last 3 in a set....so if you can do 8 in a set, and feel the last 3, you are good.  You'll want to increase your weight when you no longer "feel it", but always remember that you must keep good form. 

I'm more for increasing weight rather than trying to do a bunch of sets.  I do a max of 3 sets of 8-15 depending on the exercise.  I use 15 lb weights for most of the upper body exercises.  If I use the Nautilus machine, I generally use 40-60 lbs for those exercises.  I prefer free weights over the machines.

Wait until you get clearance from your doctor to begin and remember, the key to a long lasting exercise program is finding things you like to do.

Let me know if I can help in any way.

melanieannd
on 7/17/12 6:37 am - TX
VSG on 06/13/12
Thanks for the input! I just met with my surgeon today and he cleared me to begin with weights, was expecting to have to wait another week at least. Anyhow, they offer a 3 month membership to the hospital's gym that comes with a fitness assessment so I will be using the assessment at the very least. Not sure I'll keep going to that gym though since it's 15 miles from us, so I'd end up spending just as much on gas as I would in membership fees to go to one that's around the corner. E-mailed the trainer there to set up an assessment so hopefully that helps. :) 

Check out my blog, http://www.missingmelanie.com and like me on Facebook. :) http://www.facebook.com/pages/Missing-Melanie/618740441485479

juleskar
on 7/22/12 6:01 pm
 Can you please explain to me the reasoning behind doing sets? Do you work the muscle 8-15 times to the point of fatigue, then rest and do it again 3 times? Or do you work the muscle 8-15 times to the point of fatigue, then work a different muscle, then go back to the original muscle? I'm sorry if this sounds confusing or stupid...I just don't understand this.
Thank you!
Kim S.
on 7/22/12 8:33 pm - Helena, AL
 Yes-I work to fatigue, move on and repeat.  Like when I do arms-I do shoulder, biceps then triceps-then repeat the set. It gives the muscle time to recover- then you "abuse" it again!

Most Active