Running (Treadmill) vs Elliptical

Sam LifeNerd
on 8/10/12 5:53 am
 I wanted to get some feedback from others about the benefits or cons of running on the treadmills vs the elliptical?

WHY?

I started the Couch25k back in April, built up and ran my first road course last month (35:44) but in the last few weeks before the race I had to back off, was having a little more crunching and soreness in my knee.  (They both sound awful when walking up the stairs at home)

I had WLS because of my knees, I am sure that "most" of the stuff that is supposed to cushion them is worn out or thin/gone, etc.  Lots of crunching, etc and when I was 355 lbs I would have some real issues even walking on some days.

So... I "want" to run, I have been doing the barefoot running thing and I do believe it helps.. but I also want to prevent (or delay) any knee surgery and such as long as possible.

All that said, I tried the elliptical last week for the first time since pre-surgery.  I used to HATE that machine, it felt like it put a TON of pressure on my knees, and I could not last even 60 seconds on it.

Over the last week I have used it 3-4 times, today being the longest session at 2.37 miles in approx 25 minutes.  I had to stop today with growing strain/pain in right hip area, mostly I think from a "new" workout, not having used that muscle when running.

Monday I ran a 5k on the treadmill, approx 36-37 minutes, ranging from 3.5 mph up to 7.2 mph, mostly 5-6 mph.

So, finally here is the question or comments I am looking for:

Which burns more calories?  (Elliptical appears to according to the machine #s)

Which will help me stay in shape for future 5ks?  IOW, will running a 5k on the elliptical keep me ready to go run a 5k on a weekend if I want?

I "prefer" the elliptical because I don't have to "set" the speed, I just run, it slows up and down as I do, whereas the treadmill I am having to push buttons.  So the elliptical seems more "normal" like me actually out there running?  Thoughts?

Finally.. I am also mixing in the bike at the gym, did 30 minutes on it on Wednesday... any other recommendations?  There is a glider thing I have not tried yet...

I appreciate the help and thoughts, all are welcomed!!
Sam

Kim S.
on 8/10/12 7:16 am - Helena, AL
I feel your pain.  Literally!

I've been running for about 3 years now, and I do not ever do more than 4 miles.  My knees cannot handle it.  I have the crunching-and arthritis, so some days I can barely run.

My first suggestion, if you haven't done so, is to see a good ortho.  I had an MRI done to ensure that there was nothing that needed to be fixed, and to make sure I couldn't do further damage.  Happily, I was cleared to run-he said listen to my body and stop when it hurts.  I had the "magic" injection once in my right knee and haven't need another since (that was 2 years ago).

As far as which one burns more calories:  The treadmill and the elliptical are both cardio, so I'd say it is likely close to the same calorie expenditure.  As far as which one is better "training" for running?  I'd say the treadmill, only because it more closely mimics "real" running, but they are both great cardio workouts.  Oh, and those calorie counters on the machines: they are just averages-not what you are really burning.  Depending on how fit you are, you could be burning more or less that the displayed amount.

Bottom line:  What do you enjoy doing?  Stick with what you like, and you'll do it longer and more often.  As you build cardio resistence from any source it will make running easier. Make sure your knee health is cleared before you do permanent damage that may sideline you. 

Keep up the great work!

cabin111
on 8/10/12 4:25 pm
I tried going back to jogging post op.  I have a bad back...so jogging, tennis, and racquetball are out.  They want to do surgery on my back, but I am hoping to die of a heart attack before that happens!!  Two thought...biking and swimming.  I tried swimming, but I was so cold I dropped it and now do walking and bike riding as my main exercises...
I am also older and am worried about breaking some bones.  Good luck on your choice of exercises...The sky is the limit!!  PS  Ice skating-rollerskating...But those could be bad on the knees...
Most Active