New to exercise looking for some advice

gtayl006
on 8/22/12 10:10 pm
I am 5 weeks post op and feeling GREAT. I am looking to incorporate some exercise in my plan. any suggestions on what to do? I have a gym at my apartment complex.

I have never been a big exercise person, though I do love riding my bike, but it is curently way too hot in Florida..

Kim S.
on 8/23/12 8:00 am - Helena, AL
First, see what you are cleared to do (by your WL sugeon).

You should start out with good ole walking.  As you are stronger, pick up the pace, distance and begin to intensify by pumping your arms.

Then, you can try all different things.  You will only stick with exercise that you truly enjoy.  Try everything!  I NEVER thought I'd like running, but I do!

hrford
on 8/25/12 6:26 am
VSG on 03/19/12
 I concur start with walking, then as you feel better, look at maybe some classes (I know tons of people who love Zumba), add weights to your arms when walking (light ones) and then just find something you like.  I love to run.  Gives me time to think and I get all anxious if I can't go, but running may not be your thing, it may be something else.  YOu need to enjoy it or you won't keep it up!

HW: 270 SW: 234.4 CW: 135.0 1stGW:149 (GOAL MET)afreshstart-hreneeh.blogspot.com/
1st 5k: 5/12/12 44:55  PR 4miles: 12/31/2012 35:49

LeighAnne89
on 8/30/12 9:36 pm - KY
 Clear things with your doctor first but I am a month out today and started the c25k and I loved it. I t was so easy for me to do and you just feel so good when your done but if you would like to check it out heres the site, http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/get-running-with-couch-to-5k.aspx
G
ood luck hun.
archer1276
on 9/7/12 3:29 pm - Winfield Park, NJ
As always, check with your Doctor first...
I like variety in my training ,and many of my clients do not like jumping exercises and prefer low-to-no imact.  So here are some ideas you may like:
1) Swimming or even just treading water.  Water is obviously supportive, but also resistive and builds fantastic muscle endurance as well as strength and requires a moderate cardio output.  Everything should progress in small steps, but eventually the higher intensity (higher BPM) exercises will yield greater results.
2) Medicine Ball tosses.  Start with a workout partner doing a chest pass like in basketball.  The MB's may be labelled in kg, so 1kg = 2.2lb, 2kg = 4.4lb etc.  Use the lightest one first to grow accustomed to the motion.  Try 5 sets of 10 throws each.  You may find it so much fun you lose count and do twice as many!
3) Thrusters.  Combination of A squat and Overhead Dumbell press.  Grab 2 dumbells (8-10 lbs each). Keeping your back as upright as you can, slowly squat to the height of a chair with the dumbells held at shoulder height.  TIP: shift your hips/butt backward as you do to retain balance as you lower; there should be enough weight driving thru your heels, that you can wiggle your toes slightly while fully squatting.  Stand from the squat and as you come to full height, press the dumbells straight overhead, keeping your elbows close to your ears as you do so. That's one rep.  Try 3 sets of 8 to begin with.
4) Medicine Ball Squat-to-Overhead Press-to-Tricep Extension.
Similar to "thrusters", above, but holding one small medicine ball with both hands (just below your ***** instead of dumbells. Perform a slow squat, then press the medicine ball from chest level to the overhead position, then lower it behind your head by ONLY bending the elbows. Le the forearms fall to a position parallel with the ground, then use the triceps to push the ball back to the overhead position.  That's one repetition.  Try 3 sets of 8.
reesemorgon
on 9/24/12 5:24 am, edited 10/2/12 12:20 am
Strength to fight against the disease: Studies have shown that people have a sedentary life seem to have heart problems, common problems and obesity, swimming regularly. Swimming helps to strengthen the muscles of your body, to provide you with more endurance, and it can help you to fight against the above-mentioned diseases.

Most Active