Run my first marathon or recover!? :(

Sam LifeNerd
on 10/14/13 11:44 pm

Several of you know already that I have been training since last part of June for my first ever marathon, which is scheduled 10/26.

The training system I am using is Galloway's Run/Walk/Run and I am averaging 12-13 minute miles when I keep my pace slow on purpose. Otherwise was running 10-11 miles on short runs.

I had gotten up to 20 miles on 9/17 and was doing one last long run on Saturday, 10/5, hoping for 23 miles. Running mostly facing traffic (left side of road), did a circuit around a lake on a trail and then a couple BIG hills and the IT band in my left knee has been getting progressively tighter the whole run.

I stretched it on the walk break portions, but pain is building and after an extended walk portion at mile 17, I just cannot run anymore, cannot find a "gait" that is not painful and I just walk. At mile 18.4 I decide that walking the rest of the miles to 23 is not really "helping" and better off to recover so I head home.

I took a full week off of running, bought and used a foam roller on my left leg a few times, and it was feeling pretty good, just a twinge every once in a while.

Ran yesterday morning, leg feels great for the first 2.x miles but by mile 3 it was getting tight and I wrap up my short run.

IT band def hurting yesterday, but less sore today, did foam roll the heck out of it last night for 5 minutes or so.

SO, all that to ask this question. Where do I go from here? I only have 10 days until my marathon.

This would be a major life bucket item for me...seriously considering my first ever tattoo to commemorate the occasion after finishing.

I have read a bunch of IT band threads already. (Strength running site, etc) I could therapy the heck out of it for the next 10 days...

But... should I still go for the race? Should I skip running (or even walking/elliptical) for the next 10 days to maximize my recovery other than stretching/PT?

My goal is to FINISH the marathon, time be damned, other than I want to get off the course by 2:30pm when they close it (6.5 hours) Time wise, I could have walked the rest and finished (18.4 miles, 4:09) since my walk is 3.5 mph.

I know some of you have been here, I would love your thoughts on this situation. I have seen threads that say IT band is "just pain" and running through the pain will NOT further the injury...?

Sam

kellybelly333
on 10/15/13 2:04 am - Toronto, Canada

This is happening to me as well. I've been going to physio, and today i'm seeing a chiropractor who does Active Release Therapy, at an athletic wellness centre. I am hoping he has good news for me.

The longest run I did was almost 22 miles, and I felt great at that time. The last long run I finished was three weeks ago. I attempted 10 miles on the weekend, and did 8 when I had to stop. I can walk, no problem, but as soon as I run, the pain starts after that point. I am still doing the marathon this Sunday, and will walk it if I have to. I was hoping for an under 4:30 time, but I can't imagine that happening at all. Oh well, I WILL finish.

I say you still should try.

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

kellybelly333
on 10/15/13 2:06 am - Toronto, Canada

Oh, and i've been told to skip running as well. I have been spinning, and Sunday's run was the first run in a week....so, I should have listened and kept on resting it (well, resting from running). I have the endurance to finish, but my IT band is making me feel like I really have to figure out mind over matter!

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Sam LifeNerd
on 10/15/13 3:09 am

On my way to see a PT here in a couple hours!  Pain is a LOT less today after using foam roller last night. 

Fingers crossed.. if I could run the first 15+ miles and had to walk the last 10 I could still beat them closing the course.  (6.5 hours)

I feel like a "real runner" now that I am discussing my running injuries and talking about running anyway, lol!  (Was hoping my Galloway Run/Walk/Run strategy would keep me injury free....)

Sam

MacMadame
on 10/15/13 6:20 am - Northern, CA

It takes 10-14 days for fitness gains to be realized. So nothing you do now is going to make you complete this marathon any faster or better. It's all about maintaining the fitness you've got while not getting injured at this point.

Even if you weren't injured, I'd tell you to taper right now and that means cut back on your volume drastically and do all short stuff but at race pace (or faster). With the injury, I'd tell you to even back off that and just do short stuff at a pace that doesn't aggravate your injury.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Sam LifeNerd
on 10/15/13 7:30 am

Yeah, taper was to officially start 10/6 after that run anyway, so week 1 of taper was ZERO running.  This week is low miles, probably a 5k on my running days at most.  

PT was a BIG help, got some daily homework to get those muscles/ligaments to loosen up but I am a GO for the marathon at this point!  :)

Sam

LJ1972
on 10/15/13 7:51 am - FL

My IT used to feel like an ice pick within 100yrds.   foam roll foam roll foam roll;  leg extension / curls;   on your runs do trails or off the pavement / treadmill to build up your glutes (short notice, I know, but every bit helps).  The IT gets weak when we run on level surfaces and the glutes don't have to work to balance.  Good luck!

COURAGE TO START, STRENGTH TO ENDURE, RESOLVE TO FINISH 
                              HW 353 SW 317 Original GW 180  Current Wt  170 
                               First 5k 59:18; 5k PR 32:06;  1st 10k 1:20:27; PR 1:08:36
                                                    1st Half Marathon 2:48

Pensacola Double Bridge Run 15k- 1:47:34
                                                  Three Sprint Triathlons

Sam LifeNerd
on 10/15/13 11:36 pm

Just a quick update, PT went great yesterday, he showed me how to target the IT band connection at the hip, boy could I feel that!  He gave me a small inflatable ball to put at that connection and lay on it for 5 minutes.  Then the same for rear of leg/same connection area.  Finally in the lower back on my right side!

My hip was rotated/out of position on the right which causes my left leg to move oddly I guess, basically that is the cause, IT band tightness is the symptom.  

Did my "homework" last night which was good and he told me to go run today!!

Leg felt great on my run, got in 4.1 miles (47:05) with no tightness, I could feel it just a little bit.  When I got home, used my foam roller to target the tightness (rear leg connection was worst) and the ball on the front for just a minute or so until the dog decided she needed to go outside/started barking her fool head off.

All told, felt great, and THEN the leg started getting tighter on my drive to work!  aha!  So, stretching a bit here and there but thinking back it got tighter later on Monday too after the run, so I just need to stay after it.

Feeling MUCH better / more encouraged and signed up for my bus time for the race this morning!!  (My race is point to point, park at the end, they bus us to the start)

Sam

kellybelly333
on 10/21/13 12:00 am - Toronto, Canada

Glad to hear you are doing better. Keep it up!! I am just about to post my marathon experience! :-)

Most Active