Long Run

billmacc7
on 11/3/13 2:30 am - MA

Well, did an 8 mile run. Only problem is lately my right knee has been bothering me...ALOT. I tore some ligaments some years ago before I had bypass surgery.  A question I have is, can anyone suggest a way I can stretch out or minimize the problems I am having with my right knee....Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Yours in WLS Journey,

Bill Mac

MacMadame
on 11/3/13 4:29 am - Northern, CA

I just read an article that suggested that a forefoot strike is good for knee pain. 

http://www.running-physio.com/selecting-the-right-shoe/

It's a great article even if it doesn't help your issue. 

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

nfarris79
on 11/3/13 5:41 am - Germantown, MD

Not a PT, so take my response with a grain of (uneducated) salt.... I would guess it'd depend on where you're having pain. E.G streching out or foam rolling the connected muscles that are attached to the problematic ligaments. Some people have IT band issues, so there are specific stretches for that. I usually have pain on the inside of my knees, so I try to concentrate on shin & quads stretches. Hope that helps!

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

Day_dream_believer
on 11/3/13 6:03 am

My husband swears by the barefoot running shoes.  He is a Marine and has destroyed both knees through the years but must keep up with the running.  (I joke the reason I have to be in shape is because I will have to carry him around in a few years thanks to the years of abuse due to training.)  He has had very little knee pain since the switch. 

billmacc7
on 11/3/13 11:12 am - MA

Thanks for the suggestions. Going to try to incorporate them as I have come to LOVE running and do not want to stop...

Yours in WLS Journey,

Bill Mac

Sam LifeNerd
on 11/10/13 10:38 pm

I would say the biggest question is where the pain is on the knee.  Mine is on the outside and thus IT band related!!  If it is IT band then the foam roller is the start, and my PT has me target the TOP of my leg where the IT comes back in to connect!

SO I have a little ball I put on my "front pocket" area and lie on it for 5 minutes (you can find the spot that is the most sore/needs release) and then the same on the rear buttock area, again you find the sore spot.

My IT band issues started as my runs got longer... there are also specific exercises we can do to strengthen the leg/buttocks, etc to help.

You are not alone my friend!

Sam

Waterwench
on 11/11/13 10:00 pm - portland, OR

Runner's Knee, or Patellar Tendonitis, is very common with new runners or when upping mileage. The best thing to do to treat is to follow RICE: Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation.

Rest does not mean stay off the knee for days, but it can mean ramping down the mileage for a day or two after the long run before going up again. Rest is when our bodies heal.

ICING pre-AND post-run is a terrific way to decrease any swelling or inflammation, and speed recovery. When I do a long run, particularly over rough terrain, I always take an ice bath. But we're talking 20-milers--I don't think you'd need an ice bath for an 8-mile run. :)

Compression is a good way to go for post-run. Buy an elastic knee brace and wear it for a few hours and see if it makes a difference.

Elevation? Lie down with your knee propped up on some pillows. It will help any excess fluid flow back into the main circulation to be dealt with by the kidneys.

PREVENTION: Up your mileage slowly and steadily. Increase 10% per week for 3 weeks, then take a cut-back week to recover. Try not to do too many trails or hills--both can be hard on knees.

There's an exercise my sports-med PT gave me that I swear by. It develops the vastus medialis obliquus (VMO) muscle around the knee, that helps support it and hold it in proper position while running. You need 2 five pound ankle weights. The exercise is called "Weighted Leg Lifts."

Lie on your back with your knees drawn up and legs perpendicular to your body, bent at the knees as if you were seated in a chair. While holding one leg in the bent position, lift your other leg up until your toe points to the ceiling. Do this in sets of 5, alternating legs. My PT said to do this to the point of exhaustion, 5 days a week for 6 weeks. (Not sure if he was kidding!!) After that you can do it 2-3 times a week for maintenance.

Since starting the exercise I have never had any knee problems--and I've run over 9,500 miles in the last 4 1/2 years!

"Fall down 7 times--STAND UP 8!"

Most Active