What are realistic exercise requirments.

onebigcelt
on 1/14/14 3:25 am - midlothian, VA
RNY on 11/22/13

I am swimming 30mins of laps with fins on for extra resistance twice a week and I am doing 1.5 Hours of light martial arts. I am also helping to coach my sons indoor soccer team. About an hour of walking around and standing. I try to get out and walk some but the weather has been nasty and being a single father I can't get out much. So is this enough or do I need to force my self to do more?

PetHairMagnet
on 1/14/14 4:11 am
RNY on 05/13/13

I would say this is way too little. That is just me, take it FWIW.

Don't use the single parent card as an excuse, kids DO feel it when parents do that, this from the child of divorced parents.  It is one of the few things my siblings and I have in common as our pain through the divorce--a sense that we kept them from doing things, even though I know it was an excuse, it felt very real as a reason when I was young.  Take your son on a run. If he's too young to run with you, then get a stroller and go. My marathoner neighbor pushes her two girls in a double running stroller, even her 10 year old sometimes. Or use the drop in care at the gym.  Go to the largest mall and walk as quickly as you can in laps around the mall, wear a FitBit or other pedometer and go until you hit 2.5 miles at a brisk pace. 

I work out for at least an hour 6 days a week. I do an hour of Warrior Training (just started this week) on M/W and run every other day, taking one day off a week from running...and anything especially physical. I do Pilates or yoga on days that I do not run or have Warrior Training. 

My expectation is that I need to get the lifestyle change of 6 day a week exercise in NOW so that I will continue to do it for life. I, quite frankly, was afraid that if I got to goal weight without pushing myself through exercise NOW that I would tell myself it was okay to not workout when it was wet, or cold, or I was tired, or whatever. I have a 'no excuses' approach to exercise. I had a pretty bad accident in October (not at all related to exercise) and did not work out the days I was in the immobilization device, but as soon as I was cleared by the Orthopedist and put in Physical Therapy, I was actively seeking upper body exercises I could do until my legs healed. I am back to running and training for a half marathon now. Having that goal is a huge encourager to me. I put it out there--my friends know, everyone on my FB page knows, my co-workers know. So having that extra 'push' from others is very helpful for me!  I know that I cannot just let it go by the wayside, kwim?

You are talking about less than 2.5 hours of exercise. Walking around and standing don't count for anything. I coached soccer for both my boys and even my most strenuous coaching day is NOTHING like what I have going on in my life now. Get up and get going and include your child in your activity to the degree that you are able--it is great for both of you! :)

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

jimjayhawk
on 1/14/14 6:25 pm
RNY on 02/10/13

Realistic??? Tough question for anyone else to answer for you. When I was at your stage in the process the answer was almost always much, much more than what I was doing. 

I get to the local fitness center 1st thing 5-6 mornings a week for an hour of cardio and then 3 days I do a bit of lifting. 

I needed some objective means of keeping track/measuring what I was doing so I got a FITBIT to log my steps and activity level. It syncs up with my computer, phone, etc. and helps me get off my duff on those days that I might otherwise stay on my duff and not do a whole lot. Even so, I have much more sedentary time than I would like... but I am thankful to have a minimum and the willingness to see how much more I can do on any given day. 

PetHairMagnet
on 1/15/14 5:32 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On January 15, 2014 at 2:25 AM Pacific Time, jimjayhawk wrote:

Realistic??? Tough question for anyone else to answer for you. When I was at your stage in the process the answer was almost always much, much more than what I was doing. 

I get to the local fitness center 1st thing 5-6 mornings a week for an hour of cardio and then 3 days I do a bit of lifting. 

I needed some objective means of keeping track/measuring what I was doing so I got a FITBIT to log my steps and activity level. It syncs up with my computer, phone, etc. and helps me get off my duff on those days that I might otherwise stay on my duff and not do a whole lot. Even so, I have much more sedentary time than I would like... but I am thankful to have a minimum and the willingness to see how much more I can do on any given day. 

Yes, the FitBit is a great item to use!! There are basic and more advanced, all are inexpensive. 

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

MacMadame
on 1/15/14 3:11 pm - Northern, CA

I'd say you are doing the bare minimum for weight loss and health. It's a very good beginning. What you do now depends on your goals. So ... what are you goals? mail

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

LoveAfterWLS
on 1/26/14 11:19 am - GA

I would try and increase it a little bit but on the other hand, any activity is better than no activity.  Since you are already in the pool, try something that I do.  I tread water for an hour at a time.  It's kind of boring unless you have someone to do it with you but the hour does seem to go by pretty fast and it burns a lot of calories and is not so bad on the knees.  Good luck!

Visit my dating website for bariatric patients ----> www.loveafterwls.com 

Friends K.
on 1/26/14 11:43 am
RNY on 01/14/14

That amount works for me.  I can exercise 3 times a week for 30 minutes at a medium intensity and actively lose weight and stay fit!

5'4" SW=285 PreOp=-13 (surgery @272#,1/14/14), 2week=-12 (260#), 1M=-20 (252#), 2M=-9.5(242.5#), 3M=-18 (224#), 4 M =-10 (214#), 5 M=-11 (202#) 6 M=-11(190.5), 7M=-7.5 (183), 8 M=-6 lbs (177) 9M=-5 (172) 10M=-7.5 (164.5#)

PetHairMagnet
on 1/27/14 12:57 am
RNY on 05/13/13

Have you made any increases in the past two weeks? Let's celebrate that!

weightloser1
on 2/10/14 1:26 pm

you are offcourse doing well. and remember that every work has an output so,  go ahead and continue to workout. In my opinion, this is the better way for exercise. swimming and martial arts are one of the interesting activity.

NorthernStar
on 2/11/14 4:04 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

I think a good goal to aim for is being moderately active for at least 30 minutes, 4-5 days a week. You are definitely getting out there and moving so good for you! Only you can control the intensity you work at.

I will say that working out intensely and efficiently for shorter periods of time is MUCH better than hours of low intensity, stead-state cardio.

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

Most Active