Tuesday workouts/training/etc

nfarris79
on 3/11/14 9:41 am - Germantown, MD

Taper week - ran (used in the most generous terms) 3 miles per training. What wasn't per training was the BG incident I had mid-run.... all the classic symptoms (shaky, nausea, sweaty, vision, etc) so I knew it was my blood sugar dropping too fast. Ugh, what a drag! Didn't pass out, had to walk a bit and take a seat until the symptoms passed enough to get to my car to go buy some gatorade. Felt a bit better but still have a headache & nauseated. Gonna take my BG in a bit just to make sure than 4 hours later, all is back to normal. Do NOT need this happening on race day! Sheesh....

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

billmacc7
on 3/11/14 12:33 pm - MA

Hi Nfarris79 sorry to hear u had a tough run...just a question, what is BG?  I ran, and I use that term loosely, 4 miles today but struggled as I had some leg cramps which I think are a residual from long run of 16 on Sunday...Hope to feel better for my run tomorrow!

Yours in WLS Journey,

Bill Mac

nfarris79
on 3/11/14 7:51 pm - Germantown, MD

BG= blood glucose. I'm getting a bit worried that I'm having some kind of issues with it, maybe RH (reactive hypoglycemia) or prediabetes or something, so getting my labs done ASAP just to make sure nothing's going array...

So, on the topic of leg cramps, I sometimes take extra potassium if I'm noticing them more than expected, but it's also a good idea to check w/ you dr and make sure you don't have any imbalances going on. And of course, most recommend making sure you're stretching and I even use foam rollers when I notice more tightness than usual. Hope that helps!

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

weightloser1
on 3/11/14 7:10 pm

What is meant by BG? Actually I go through the 7 miles of Marathon. I have started a quick workout.

My health is my Highest Priority.

PetHairMagnet
on 3/11/14 9:24 pm
RNY on 05/13/13
On March 11, 2014 at 4:41 PM Pacific Time, nfarris79 wrote:

Taper week - ran (used in the most generous terms) 3 miles per training. What wasn't per training was the BG incident I had mid-run.... all the classic symptoms (shaky, nausea, sweaty, vision, etc) so I knew it was my blood sugar dropping too fast. Ugh, what a drag! Didn't pass out, had to walk a bit and take a seat until the symptoms passed enough to get to my car to go buy some gatorade. Felt a bit better but still have a headache & nauseated. Gonna take my BG in a bit just to make sure than 4 hours later, all is back to normal. Do NOT need this happening on race day! Sheesh....

Oh, scary!

My trainer has told me to carry Gatorade 'beans' with me on runs. Have you ever tried them? I have wondered if they were a big no-no and so far I have not needed them, but your post makes me wonder if I am being foolish in not carrying them after all. 

Sending positive thoughts that all was well later on!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

weightloser1
on 3/12/14 10:38 pm
On March 12, 2014 at 4:24 AM Pacific Time, PetHairMagnet wrote:
On March 11, 2014 at 4:41 PM Pacific Time, nfarris79 wrote:

Oh, scary!

My trainer has told me to carry Gatorade 'beans' with me on runs. Have you ever tried them? I have wondered if they were a big no-no and so far I have not needed them, but your post makes me wonder if I am being foolish in not carrying them after all. 

Sending positive thoughts that all was well later on!

I didn't tried. But I take some nuts while running.

My health is my Highest Priority.

MacMadame
on 3/16/14 6:27 am - Northern, CA

I did my first track workout in a long time this Tuesday. I started a triathlon training program. We're training for a Sprint triathlon in June.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Most Active