The Kettlebell Swing!

Raze
on 1/1/15 3:46 pm

I just want to give a shout out to this somewhat curious and underused workout that I have found extremely effective and easy to do for the loathe to workout WLS person such as myself. Yeah, I really don't like working out. It makes me feel angry and too "pumped up." I hate that feeling. Doesn't matter the kind of workout, me and physical assertion of the weight loss sort makes me want to jump off a cliff. So I needed to find something fast, effective, doesn't take much time to do, and can be done standing in one place, feet on the floor. I also hate jumping around. However I have current weight loss goal and find exercising works along with using my pouch wisely. So, here I go again!

The "kettlebell swing" is what I will be using to achieve my weight loss goal and variations of. IMO this is the perfect cardio / strength building exercise a lazy WLS person can do for maximum results with as little time put in as possible. You don't need to set up a routine or any time limits, just start doing it everyday for whatever amount of time. You will find yourself doing it more and more and more and the weight will take care of itself using your surgery, however you do that depending on your surgery type.

A kettlebell comes in varying weights and sizes. For the complete newbie a lighter weight is best. I will post a picture of one below, and provide a you tube link of how to do this simple exercise. IMO what is GREAT about this particular routine is it is a near full body workout in one motion. It uses your arms, shoulders, neck, hands, abs, back and legs in one simple exercise. Now, it will not bulk you up, and it is non too specific to those areas, but is general. Which makes it simple and easy to do for those without physical limitations. But perhaps the BEST thing about this workout is the cardio aspect of it. As you may have heard and read its the cardio part of most workouts which burns calories and fat. "Puff, Pant, and Perspire" as the old saying goes. Heart rate up, oxygen moving in and out. Well the kettlebell swing will get you there in a hurry! A real hurry. And again and again and again after each repetition routine. Do just twenty reps of the kettlebell swing with the proper weight for YOU, and you'll be breathing like you've just run up the bleachers at a football stadium. Each and every time you pick up this simple "bell" and swing it.

And a link to a 30sec instructional video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7PbrKTJJhE

And that's all there is to it! Other routines exist and variations of this simple swing, as well. And use common sense for warming up and stretching, of course. But just this simple motion along with proper weight will strengthen you and most of all take off pounds and inches just "swinging" in one spot. As said I am lazy when it comes to working out. I need simple, did, and done. This does it for me and imo is a great exercise for fat people, WLS people, people with little time, and folks who don't like to workout but want to lose weight. I am going to take off 20 pounds doing just this one thing with a 20 pound weight to start, and working up to a 30lb weight. If just getting started however I would recommend the lowest weight possible such as 10 or even 5 pounds until accustomed to the motion. I also recommend cast iron weights as they seem more evenly balanced.

Good luck, all. And happy swinging!

Tracy D.
on 1/7/15 4:15 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

And it will make your glutes feel like someone kicked you in the a$$ for days!!  At least for the first week or so until your body gets used to it.  I do another workout on a regular basis but whenever I add an additional kettlebell workout (I do one from Prevention magazine) it works muscles that I forgot I had :-) 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Raze
on 1/7/15 10:14 am, edited 2/24/15 1:26 am

yes!. most definitely works muscles you forgot or did not know you had. i started this past Monday and am going for my second workout tonight. just going to stand here in my living room and watch basketball while doing it. looking to lose some pounds and take a couple inches off my waist to get down to my next jeans size

i'm gonna look great and order like....5 pair to start! just gotta get this out of the way, first! 

IMO

lindajoyce
on 1/14/15 5:17 pm - San Diego, CA

The thing that is beneficial is it's dynamic nature of the swing the opportunity to overload or injure the body is quite low.

Venus Factor John Barban

Raze
on 2/24/15 1:23 am, edited 2/24/15 1:27 am

i agree. its quite a natural motion. and its easy to warm up and do the motion without weights and when adding weight to vary it. i will very soon be at my goal and will set another when there. i will buy some new jeans and enjoy them, as well

this workout for me has been strangely addicting. its not easy, but it is simple and effective. i don't weigh and won't weigh until my second goal is reached, but the current pants are bigger on me and the few pair of smaller pants i have fit snugly, but not so snug to be tight. so, just want to get to the point where the smaller size fits more comfortably and my first goal will be reached

IMO

Most Active