Early morning cardio and breakfast

SkottiRNY
on 12/7/16 11:55 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 07/07/15

Hey there,

So, can someone enlighten me as to what is a good idea for something to eat/drink before cardio for an early morning workout. I will be getting up at 5 am to be at the gym for 5:30... that is my plan. 97.382% of the time I will do only the stationary bike or the treadmill. The other part I will actually do both cardio and weights. For the most part, cardio is my focus. I intend on spending 1 hour doing cardio. By the time I shower and get to work it will be 7:30.

What should I have before 5:30? Do I need a bit of food or protein drink to get me going? What about afterwards? That will be "breakfast" time, so should I eat what I normally do for breakfast?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Skotti

"Not every day is Fantastic, but at least I have the opportunity to live every day." ~ Skotti RNY

My YouTube Channel

HW: 419 lbs August 2014  - SW: 340 lbs - GW: 219 lbs 

RNY July 7, 2015

cabin111
on 12/7/16 7:10 pm, edited 12/7/16 11:51 am

Just talking outloud...Take with a grain of salt.  For about the first 5 years post op I would have a couple spoonfuls of Wendy's Chili in the morning.  You have your protein (beans and beef)...Also the beans have fiber.  Right out of the fridge or heat up in the container (microwave) and run.  I would add cheese to my chili...But that can defeat the iron vs calcium issue of not mixing them together.   Another thought would be plain Greek yogurt...Add your own real fruit.  Have it in a plastic container (with a throwaway plastic spoon).  The fresh fruit would not be real bad carbs...That can help you though the workout.  Just my thoughts.  Brian  PS  When I'm running around (working a lot), I've kept plain nuts, raisins, rye crackers, and Cheerios in my pockets if I feel my blood sugar level falling... 

SkottiRNY
on 12/7/16 7:50 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 07/07/15

Thanks Cabin111 !

I figured I should have something prior, just wasn't sure what. I know getting up at 5 and being at the gym for 5:30 doesn't leave a lot of time to have anything, but something is better than nothing. I would probably start with the yogurt. Then when I get to work, I can nibble on a small breakfast.

Thanks,

Skotti 

"Not every day is Fantastic, but at least I have the opportunity to live every day." ~ Skotti RNY

My YouTube Channel

RNY July 7, 2015

Gwen M.
on 12/8/16 7:36 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I do my morning cardio fasted and drink my morning breakfast protein shake afterward.  I have no problems with this routine - it's what I've been doing pretty much since surgery, in fact!  I don't add food to my diet to compensate for exercise.  I just rearrange the timing of my meals sometimes.  And make sure to hydrate :)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/14/16 2:14 pm

what is your goal?  lose fat? build muscles? 

if you are looking for toning and fat loss - fasting before you exercise may be great way to do it. ( I have coffee) .

I know works for me. Then 3o moin after my exercise - I had a great - loaded protein meal (shake would be fine)

but- make sure your BS does not crash when you start working out while fasting. I had to start slowly - so my body would know that it needs to burn fat. 

A First few times I had to have a handy "BS fix with me" just in case... to use when my BS dropped too much ..by week 2 I did not need anything... 

I used PB pr almond butter..or....i.e.- Lindt chocolate truffles - the blue ones - have just enough sugar fat and some protein to raise my BS up but not cause RH.  and they are easy to carry..

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

SkottiRNY
on 12/15/16 5:42 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 07/07/15

Thanks H.a.l.a B.! 

For the time being, my goal is to maintain weight(or lose a pound or two as needed). Someday down the road, I might go back to lifting weights, but I am not in a rush for that. 

Just keeping a healthy active lifestyle is my goal for now. :)

Cheers,

Skotti

My YouTube Channel

RNY July 7, 2015

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/15/16 7:58 am

Ok. If you trying just maintain - moderation may be a key.  Not enough cardio is not good - too much cardio may be even worse. 

A lot of people start very intensive cardio- they then discover that they need to add carbs and calories - if for nothing else is to prevent low BS and to be able to be that active.  Develop new eating habits.    Then"life happens" or injury.. and they continue eating as the y were eating but they no longer can do such an intense cardio. And can gain a lot of weight in a very short time. 

I start doing more cardio -.when I try to gain weight.... cardio burns a lot of sugar - glycogen. That makes me hungry - so I eat more... 

In maintenance - to prevent that- I do a short cardio - then some slower exercises to maintain my muscles mass or increase it. Slower exercise - my body can burn fat, not sugars - so it does not affect my BS too much...also building and maintaining muscles allows me to continue eating as i normally do even if I don't have time or simply can't exercise (i.e. recent surgery - I am "grounded" until the end of this year... except slow walking. )

It may be a good idea to hire a personal trainer for a 2-3 sessions - some one that can help you with your goals. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active