Just waiting.....wanting surgery YESTERDAY!!!

sobersarina
on 4/27/13 10:45 pm - ME

Hi all.

I am a new member here and was excited to see a section for LGBT! I am trying to not hurry or worry about the process of surgery but I want to have my surgery and get going. I have lost 24 pounds on my own in the last several months and my SWL team is Extremely happy with me but I am so eager to get the surgery done and start seeing real results and living the life I have always wanted and know is available to me as a healthier person. When I make a decision I want to move forward with it ASAP! I know this is a process and life time changes but I want the surgery NOW (talk about instant gratification needed lol). I am just looking for ideas on how to handle the anxiety and fear of waiting.

I have never been successful with weight loss and this is why I am turning to bariatric surgery. Part of me is so excited to be on this journey but another part is scared that somehow this will be taken away from me and I will fail like every other time I have tried. I am so close to my surgery (I just have to meet with the surgeon and get my surgery date.) that the waiting is almost painful. I AM SO READY to have this done and have done all the prelim stuff to get ready. I am taking all suggestions and eating and practicing what I need to do. I keep being told it is a process and this I know but.....I am excited and so afraid that it won't happen. For so long I have not thought a solution to my prison of obesity was possible. This surgery and the changes I have made already have shown me the keys and the door. I just want to get moving and am waiting (not so patiently it seems).  Now that I have hope I am so afraid that it will be taken away. Any suggestions or anyone who has been where I am and would like to comment or offer advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks,

Sarina     

Minemake14
on 5/7/13 7:22 pm

When is your surgery?  I know it feels like forever from when we finally decide to do the surgery, and waking up in recovery! I felt he same way- the day will come, and I hope you have an event-less recovery. I was in and out of the hospital in 36 hours, up walking, no nausea, (ask for a patch behind your ear before surgery)  minimal pain and zero complications.  Surgery was 12 weeks ago I am down 51 pounds and feel great- but that is not to say that I don't struggle...each meal has the potential to be more self sabotage and I try to be very mindful of that, and what I chose to eat.  I have lost so much weight in this short time I too get some fear that the other shoe will drop, that I will stop losing, that I will somehow screw this up like every other diet...the surgery does not remove my nuerosis:)  I work with a therapist for that...and many people find it really helps in the early months to deal with the emotional and mental part of this journey.  You might keep that thought tucked away.  I wish this board was more active, I will do my part to check in here more often. Good luck to you.

sobersarina
on 5/15/13 2:23 am - ME

Thanks for the reply. I finally got my surgery date and it is on June 4th. I am excited and anxious and a little afraid. I have been in process for only 4 months but it has been a lot of work and sustained effort to make changes and keep moving forward. Congratulations on the weight loss. I know it is a struggle even after because our brains are not surgically altered but I know it will be worth it. I need this surgery as a behavior modification and nothing else has ever worked. I will keep watching and look forward to hearing more about your weight loss adventures.   

sobersarina
on 5/17/13 12:56 am - ME

Tom,

Thanks for the encouragement. I also have done lots of research and am so ready for this next phase of my life. It is good to hear from those who have gone before me!

Sarina

ohbearly
on 5/16/13 12:44 am - Mogadore, OH
Revision on 07/31/13

You definitely have the right attitude. Five years ago when I had my WLS I made a strong commitment to change my life. That was beyond the surgery. As I prepared, I began walking daily. I researched, researched and researched what makes a WLS person successful. I looked for role models in the community. I found that being active and living positively led to a higher success rate. Good luck on your journey.

Tom

Follow my journey to a happy, healthy, active life at TomBilcze.com 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Hi I'm new on here
Zellawillfly · 2 replies · 375 views
No activity!
Corey150 · 0 replies · 948 views
RNY Surgery date closing in
missymoomoo12 · 1 replies · 1325 views