Greetings from the other side

Larakatya
on 4/4/04 12:15 pm - Twin Cities, MN
Hello my fellow GLBT WLS family members! I had my surgery on April 1st. I am feeling good. It wasn't that bad. My joke is that except for the intense abdominal pain and pretty flowers in my bedroom, it doesn't feel like I had surgery at all. Even though I hurt, I took walks in the hospital and am being conscientious to walk around my apartment which helps get the gas out. (I am SO GASSY! ) The first shower I took in the hospital was the best ever! My muscles were really sore post-op and the shower made them feel so much better. My girlfriend has been amazing throughout this process. I pray that you will all have someone in your life who will help take care of you the way she has done for me. It is very amazing to eat 1/4 of a cup of something and have it fill you up so intensely. The medicines make me pretty sleepy. But I feel good enough today to sit at the Thank you for all your good thoughts, and well wishes. I pray that all of you will have the smooth transition that I have experienced. Unsolicited bits of wisdom for preops from your Post-op sister: 1. eat light before your bowel prep. A salad was easy to "release" An easier bowel prep is worth far more than any "last supper" 2. use baby wipes for bowel prep - makes process much less painful. 3. Wear something VERY loose around the waist to the hospital 4. bring a pillow to the hospital - excellent for the ride home, when tummy is sensitive. 5. Have them put an icepack inside the binder around your tummy. When the pain meds start to wear off, and you can't take another for an hour, this provides AMAZING relief. Make sure it has some kind of cottoney layer between your skin and the plastic. 6. buy little cups - 3oz ones for the bathroom work great. Makes meals easy, are big enough that you don't end up spilling your tiny portions over the sides. 7. Sugar Free popsicles - WONDERFUL! but be careful, they make me VERY full if I eat them too fast. 8. Know that a single can of cream of chicken soup will last 5 meals! So don't worry about buying "enough" food. 9. if you have the means, have someone with you at the hospital - you are drugged out, and they are giving you information. Is a very good idea to have someone who isn't on large amounts of opiates listening along to help you remember. 10. If you can, call ahead and request a private room in your hospital. It was so nice not to have to deal with anyone else during this very private time. 11. All I took to the hospital was the following: CD Player/headphones - to listen to music through the surgery. Chapstick - a MUST as you will be dried out from the surgery and the Oxygen, Pillow - for lap on car ride home. Stuffed Tigger - for love. Anything else would have been just extra baggage. Best of luck to you all on your journeys, ~Lara Lap RNY 4-1-04 400-352-goal of 260
ruthdebra
on 4/4/04 12:40 pm - Palm Springs, CA
Hi Lara - thank you for your advice. I'm the one *****cently moved from MN to CA. My surgery is a week from tomorrow and I'll be in the hospital until Friday. It sounds as if you are having a great easy recovery. Hope that all continues to go well for you. I too have a wonderfully supportive partner. Keep in touch.
jrhd
on 4/6/04 11:14 am - Bagley, MN
Congratulations Laura! It's great to hear that you're doing well- I will be having my surgery at Abbott too, and it's wonderful to hear advice and a positive experience from someone in the area. Speedy Recovery, Jenn
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hi I'm new on here
Zellawillfly · 2 replies · 380 views
No activity!
Corey150 · 0 replies · 951 views
RNY Surgery date closing in
missymoomoo12 · 1 replies · 1327 views