I know ppl are eating after rny, so what is it!!?!???

Laura B.
on 11/12/10 12:46 pm - Lima, OH
 I feel like i am eating the same things and i am getting to the point where I have to force myself to take another bite, or try and drink a protein shake to get all my PROTEIN IN. I am not hungry, food is not good to me, and if it is then i dont get enough protein! PLEASE TELL ME WHAT DO YOU EAT 2months post op!  If i eat chicken, or tuna Im gonna puke. 
sjbob
on 11/15/10 12:02 am - Willingboro, NJ
I suggest that you first go the the Diet and Nutrition Forum and look at Guidelines following WLS on the right side column.  I know that it doesn' answer you question directly.  You should contact the nutritionist from your surgeon's office for further help.  They want you to succeed as much as you do.
pjwilsen
on 4/10/11 8:48 am
 Hi, Laura:

I am so sorry you are having this difficulty. I was not hungry at first either, and everything I consumed grossed me out. 

For the first 6 months, I ate almost no animal protein. I subsisted on Nonfat Plain Greek Yogurt with splenda and small amounts of shelled soy beans from Trader Joes.

I gagged down some shakes when I could tolerate them. It was a big struggle, but I tried to get in the protein quota, for when I didn't my hair fell out and I felt sluggish. I would not try to consume too much at once.

As time went on, I got somewhat of an appetite back. I started eating spicy (raw) tuna rolls without rice, but this is not for the faint of heart. I loved sashimi before surgery and it is a regular staple for me now. I do not eat beef, pork or chicken, for I still have trouble keeping it down, and this is almost 6 years out. 

The Nonfat Greek Yogurt was a good base for smoothies made with a touch of fruit for flavor. It's good if you are sensitive to the aftertaste of protein shakes. Also, I know some people who have good luck with fat free refried beans.

Keep me posted, and write anytime you like. Keeping you in my thoughts. 

-Pam

antntar
on 5/4/11 10:38 am - philadelphia, PA
Hi! I just wanted to thank you for posting this. I am having the same trouble and I am 2 months out as well. Sometimes just thinking about a protein shake makes me sick. I cant seem to come up with an eating plan that I like and that incorporates the protein I need. Please let me know if you get any helpful info!

poorlil
on 5/9/11 12:52 pm, edited 5/9/11 12:52 pm
Hi Laura,
I'm 3 months post-op VSG. I've been searching this site for exactly this. Until now I thought I was the only one with this problem. I'm not complaining, not being obsessed with food is wonderful but I worry about not getting the proper nutrition through food, I want to learn how to eat a healthy diet but nothing tastes good. I am constantly trying new foods hoping that something will go down well. I have a protein drink for breakfast, a Kashi bar for lunch and 1/4 - 1/2 a greek yogurt when I get home from work. Those are the only things that taste okay and go down well. I try to eat something for dinner but often I'm just not in the mood so I might have another protein drink or some more yogurt. Anything I've tried in the magic bullet I can't tolerate either, too much air whipped into it. Also a lot of foods give me instant heart burn so I stay away from acidc foods like tomatos and store bought orange juice. Yesterday I bought oranges and juiced them, It tasted good and no heart burn. I no longer like chicken, pork, beef, shrimp, eggs, cheese, tomatos, garlic, and anything spicey and it goes without saying, I don't eat any carbs. Just trying to eat protein and produce! Also, it's really hard to drink enough water. I carry it with me everywhere I go but still can't manage to drink more than 24-32oz of water each day and that is including the water I mix my protein drink with.

I am also very interested in hearing other people's thoughts and suggestions. Is this something that will improve with time? 

Tali S.
on 12/12/11 4:15 am - Jerusalem, Israel
eggs? cheese? refried beans? soups?!
i'm 3 weeks out and in addition to the above my nutritionist has me eating white toast with white cheese, and cucumbers and tomatoes (minus skins and tomato seeds)
(deactivated member)
on 12/1/10 1:02 am - east falmouth, MA
 Don't force yourself to eat or worry too much about it... This is the hard part and it gets better. Just hang in there and get through these weeks.  Get the vitamins and fluids for sure...
Never force yourself to take that bite anyway... that is just counter to the point anyway.... 

relax and think of something else...

Most Active