nausea

fluffynurse
on 5/16/11 3:40 am - cuyahoga falls, OH
I was wondering if there is anyone else that has experienced nausea after RNY.  I had my surg 8/09.  I am anemic and have some electrolytes that are off.  It does not seem to be related to what I eat (I watch the sugar and fat content of everything I eat) or when I eat.  I can eat something one day and I am ok and another day I will become nauseated.  Also it can come out of the blue with no relation to eating.  It has gone on for so long that now I don't eat when I am away from home.
Thanks for your help.
Amy

Sharon J.
on 8/12/11 3:26 pm - Pensacola, FL
 Amy, I had my surgery in '08, but I distinctly remember the nausea afterwards.  Even the smell of aftershave from the bathroom where my hubby was shaving (and I was in the living room) would nearly have me heaving.  Now this far out, I still have problems with foods that I eat.  It may not be the same food each time though.  I will say that it is getting so much better as time passes.  I am not afraid to eat when away from home now, but I am careful about fatty foods and really rich sweets.  Additionally, blood sugar, I believe, plays a role in this whole nausea thing.  I will also get the "shakes" and feel really rotten.  I am starting to believe, however, that this is dumping syndrome. I have decided to try and pay closer attention to when and how this happens.  At any rate, I hope that you are feeling better by now.  I notice your post was in May and this is August.  Take care, Sherry

stephensharpless
on 8/20/11 7:13 am, edited 8/20/11 7:14 am - CA
I had my surgery in September of 2003, and quickly lost 250 pounds.  This was too much, and with doctors help have gotten back to 180 which is what the doctor thinks is good.  My main problem is nausea.  I have had it since the surgery.  Tried several meds and finally settled on zofran.  It works some of the time and even the generic is somewhat pricey.  I do okay with fish, pasta, veggies and some fruit.  I do not handle meat or eggs at all well.  I also take vitamins D and B-12 in orally dissolvable tablets along with chewable Calcium.
Unrelated to the surgery but about a month after the surgery i had an infection that turned into septic shock and spent a month in ICU.  Luckily i had updated my medic alert bracelet, and the hospital i was in, though not familiar with gastric bypass, was able to contact my surgeon for the right things to do.  My surgeon was Dr. Mirande in Klamath Falls, Or,  I highly recommend him.  He has brought me through various problems i have had.

Most Active