Dreaded Regain!! Can I get back on track???

Ok2BHuman
on 5/22/15 11:44 pm - Red Wing, MN
RNY on 01/24/12

I had gastric bypass in 2012. I weighed 381 at my highest and had to get down to 350 before surgery. It was tough but I did it. Post op I never got thin. My hair was weak and falling out and I looked gaunt and pale @ 240 pounds ...my lowest weight in years. This is the lowest I would get and have in two years slowly regained and currently weigh 290. The surgery didn't fail me ...I failed to do the work needed to keep losing weight and to maintain it. I have had to start back on Metformin because the diabetes is resurfacing. I feel lost, hopeless, depressed and most of all I feel sad. I got the surgery that saved my life and I'm blowing it. I'm not looking for sympathy. I am looking for some helpful ideas on how to get back on track from people in the know. Sadly, I viewed this surgery as a magic bullet and thought "well I have malabsorption and that will carry me through and do the work for me. BIG mistake and a terrible lie to tell myself. I don't want to be over three hundred pounds again and I do want to be healthy. Any words or wisdom or advice? Be gentle...I already feel like a huge failure. Chrisitne

Kathyjs
on 6/26/15 7:51 pm

You still have your. 'Tool' time to use it.i never think of this new life as another diet. I firmly believe it's portion control. It's hard to eyeball portions. Start weighing and measuring. Clean the cupboards of all the crap. Get some good healthy food on hand. Lastly log every bite. Really up the water and exercise. You can do this. One day at a time . Starting NOW. I am only 60 miles from you in Wi :) 

NYMom222
on 9/4/15 9:59 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Why don't you post on the RNY or general Boards. They have more action and you will get more responses.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

SouthernmostStar
on 9/7/15 11:13 am
VSG on 01/25/12

You are not a failure.  You hit a rough spot.  I know how you feel.  I'm in a rough spot too.  Just remember that it took guts, commitment and effort for you to have WLS and lose weight in the first place.  You, and I, and anyone else can get back on track.

There is, sadly, no magic bullet.  It takes work and commitment.  I'm reaching out to the forums here for support and advice.  I'm also reaching out to other professionals and support groups.   Sometimes, I find I need to break my effort down into the smallest steps -- one meal, one snack at a time and build on that.  Remember how far you've come.  Remind yourself of how much you want it.  Be willing to do whatever it takes.  I'm reminding myself as much as you.

Whatever the case, do not beat yourself up and say rotten things to yourself.  You're human.  Forgive yourself and start again.  You can do it.  So can I!

Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Brandi Girl
on 12/9/15 9:15 am
WLS on 10/18/11

I'm in the same situation as you! I feel like i blew this great opportunity I was given :( Something I said I would never let happen. But today is another day! Today is the day WE take control over our lives and health! Today WE decide to do better! Today-not Monday. Today-not tomorrow. Today WE can do this together! We know what needs to be done. WE just need support from those who have been where we were and where we are now! And that is here. Together WE WILL do this :D

(deactivated member)
on 2/9/18 5:15 pm

The key if you read other posters' experiences is to move every day no matter what. I used to get up every morning and made excericising first thing my number one priority.

Besides this I personally would emphasize a low fat diet. Perhaps try weigh****chers just to get an idea of free foods and food choices portions and parameters.

You CAN do this. ((())))

Most Active