Has anyone tried Overeaters Anonymous?

Megan C.
on 5/20/05 11:58 am - Monmouth, OR
Hello everyone, I'm about 2yrs & 2mos post-op. I've just read some of your posts and glad I'm not the only one experiencing setbacks. I started out weighing 323lbs and until a few months ago I had pretty much stablilized at about 218lbs. Now I find the scale creeping up to around 235!!! I feel like such a failure and find myself snacking when I'm really not even hungry. I try to snack smart and grab a small handful of wheat thins, or a piece of fruit or yogurt. I should have dealt with the head hunger issues a long time ago. I dread putting any more weight back on and you would think that would be motivation enough to exercise more and make better food choices. And I too am having the carb cravings and can't seem to stay away from the garlic bread, pasta, rice and flour tortillas. Plus I have no problems eating sweets like chocolate and cookies. I was warned so much about the "dumping syndrome" but I really haven't encountered it that much. I would probably be down to my goal weight of 180 if this had really been an issue for me. I know everyone says up your protein and drink more water. I've been trying to force myself to drink protein shakes and I don't seem to mind the Real Meals shakes as much as the protein powder my boyfriend got me from Costco. I know I need to be more disciplined and just do what needs to be done. But it's just so hard for me to break old habits. I mean I would much rather grab a bowl of cereal than to make a protein shake. Has anyone considered attending Overeaters Anonymous meetings? I haven't gone to one yet, but I did see a meeting listed in a local newspaper. There are also a couple of local TOPS meetings in the area. Can anyone tell me if they've been to any of these meetings and if so have they helped you at all with your head hunger issues?
Jaymie
on 6/7/05 4:43 am - Godfrey, IL
I can't speak for OA, but when I had my psych. eval, she suggest the possibility of going there for support. She emphasized how great of a support group they are. Might be worth looking into. Do you go to any support groups. I find that they are very helpful, and I am only one month out.
(deactivated member)
on 8/22/05 2:54 am - Hollywood, FL
Overeaters Anonymous is a wonderful group and program. It deals with the addiction that so many of us have. It is a great tool for handling LIFE without excess food. I recommend it extremely highly. And, it is free, except that a donation of $2 is requested at each meeting, but not required. You have nothing to lose (except maybe some more weight) by going. It is a warm and welcoming environment.
Most Active