Cigna questions

littlekaty
on 11/9/11 1:45 am, edited 11/9/11 1:55 am - Tacoma, WA
VSG on 06/03/19
I've now been at my employer for a year which means in January my medical benefits will start. I am enrolling in a Cigna plan which my employers policy states that weight loss surgery is excluded unless deemed medically necessary with a BMI of over 40 (which I have), 6 months of an approved nonsurgical weight loss program, two years of medically documented obesity (my doctor has my pregnancy records from 2 years ago for my 20 month old son where my weight was obviously obese) and some other kind of unspecifed criteria determined by the plan administrator (no clue what that means).

What is a 6 month approved non surgical weight loss program that Cigna will approve?  If you lose any weight during that time do they deny you?  Reading on here it sounds like they do everything they can to deny you.  I am just scared right now. I've done everything I can to lose weight and I'm at the beginning of researching surgery and it is overwhelming

I've read some pretty negative things about Cigna here but the only other plan my employer offers is a Aetna plan that flat out excludes surgery with no medical exceptions

Lori F.
on 11/21/11 3:28 am - Chula Vista, CA
Cigna sucks. But follow everything to a "t" and then you can fight and appeal. I've lost four times, but I am still not giving up. My surgeon's office did a 6 month supervised diet at his office. I did lost a bit, and you may too, but you will still be MO, I assume. And you may gain it back, as we all know. You won't know unless you try!!!!
Pre-band highest weight: 244
Pre-band surgery weight: 233
Lowest: 199 ( for, like, a day)
CW:
260 (yes, with the band!) 
Current Fill: 5cc in 10cc band
BMI: 49
tntalso29
on 12/5/11 11:34 am - Walnut Grove, CA
I'm going to have surgery on Dec. 12th and my insurance is Cigna. It is a PPO plan.  

I had the same conditions in having a 6 month medically approved weight loss program...having a BMI over 40, etc.  While I saw my  Primary Doctor at annual physicals and she had suggested diets in the past...her documentation wasn't good enough and I wasn't visiting her on a regular enough basis to have Cigna consider this as an approved weight loss program..  So....the weight loss/surgery center where I was interested in going for  bariatric surgery set me up on a program where I was seen by a Dietician, given a high protein diet to follow and then see her each month for six months.  I kept a journal of what I was eating, doing for physical activity, etc.  She would weigh me each month, tracking my progress.   When my 6 months was up....I had lost about 13 lbs., but was still obese with a high BMI.  Another requirement is to have a physological evaluation...something the center set up for me.  I met with the Physchologist for about 90 minutes for an evaluation.  She would then write up her evaluation in a report. With that completed, all of that, along with my physical information was submitted by the center to Cigna.   When submitted, it took about 2-3 weeks to get a reply.  The first time...they denied my submission.  They stated I needed to have a letter of authorization/acceptance from my Primary Care Physician.  Once my regular doctor wrote/sent the letter in noting my health issues and agreeing with my going forward with surgery, within 10 days I got an acceptance letter from Cigna.  (I have to say that overall Cigna was pretty helpful.  They were pretty clear about what the requirements were and I could call to get clarification or ask a question anytime.  I called once on a Sunday to find out the status of my submission and the Cust. Service person was able to tell me where it was and approximately how much more time it would take to go through review.  It's really a matter of dotting the i's and crossing the "t's"....you just have to know all those things up front...otherwise you can run into issues. )
My suggestion is to look for a surgery center that is a comprehensive weight loss center.  That way  they have the programs and staff that can handle all aspects of preparing for surgery, understand the insurance requirements and then follow-up and group meetings to help after surgery.     Good luck to you.....
Most Active