BCBS of AL PPO... Consfusing to find PPO-approved Bariatician near ATL

josiemorehouse
on 10/2/13 3:59 am - Villa Rica, GA

Okay so I know they're out there, but BCBS says 'search the national provider search', yet it comes up with just 3 doctors, all of which are in Alabama.  Now, I CAN drive over there, I'm in Villa Rica and it would be an hour drive.  But... it would be an hour drive.  If I found the surgeon over there, that'd mean I'd have to endure a 1 hr drive back from there post-surgery.  Um, that would really suck!

So I live like 45 minutes west of Atlanta.  You'd THINK that there would be a plethora of BCBS PPO providers on this side, but I'm just not having any luck.  Does anyone in/around the Atlanta area know of any providers who ARE BCBS PPO okay?

Also, to make the process go smoothly, should I have my PCP submit a request for predetermination now, before I start the 6 month diet plan?  I mean, I know the BCBS of AL requirements and I know I meet them, but does it matter if I get the predetermination request submitted before my 6 month plan or after? 

I have dealt with insurance companies before, needing approval for surgery (I've had elective breast reduction surgery 10 yrs ago, then had spinal fusion done 2 years ago after 6 years of fighting with them about my back pain).  I'm good with meeting all of their requirements.  I'm 5'4" and 230-ish lbs, putting me at the BMI range of 39-41 (depending on the day), and a life-long battle with weight loss, plus I have high cholesterol and high blood pressure.  I just want to make sure I'm doing the right steps in the right order.

Thanks in advance for any information anyone can provide. :)

- Josie

jacklynnsmama
on 10/3/13 2:13 pm, edited 10/3/13 2:14 pm - WA
RNY on 12/16/13

All my bcbs preferred hospitals are in Seattle, about an hour from me. I thought that was bad until I met some other people at my first appointment.... they had traveled 3 hours from central Washington! Ugh. 

Sorry I'm not any help. 

uglymouse
on 10/4/13 10:47 am - newnan, GA
I know my doctor is at Piedmont Hospital in .Atlanta. There were people in my NUT class that had BCBS. I have United Healthcare.
Most Active