Medicaid of North Carolina - Who will accept this plan?

Ann C.
on 8/2/15 11:03 pm

So, I have been on the fence for about 10 years and I seem to only continue to be yo-yo-ing and I want to be here for my son, its just us... However, things have changed drastically financially.  So I find myself on Medicaid in NC.  I went to REX's info Session at the end of 2014 and at that time they were saying that they accept Medicaid.  Went to my appointment a month ago only to be told that they do not!

So I registered for an info session with WakeMed; only to find out the same thing. 

Is there anyone that has been able to use Medicaid here in Wake County or near?  I am desperate and this was my goal for 2015... I'm not giving up, but I was hoping maybe someone here may know something or have used the plan.

Ann

Ann C.

DahliaLady71
on 11/24/15 5:40 pm

Hi,

I have NC Medicaid too. I talked to my PCP last night. Medicaid covers the surgery, but you are responsible for paying for the pre-op appointments such as tests and the psych evaluation. However, if you go to a practitioner that accepts Medicaid, then I'm assuming you'd pay whatever your normal co-pay is. I'm not 100% sure of this. I'm trying to find answers too. When I find out, I'll let you know. I am trying to decide between 2 hospitals--Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center in Winston-Salem or Catawba Valley Medical Center in Hickory which is closer for me. For Medicaid patients wanting to have the surgery at Baptist, I was told there was some kind of an 18-month waiting list just to get into the program, which is another reason I'm considering the hospital in Hickory. 

Good luck to you, and like I said I'll let you know what I find out.

Ann C.
on 12/1/15 6:08 am

Hello, Lady!!

I am glad someone reached out.  I feel like I am in uncharted waters.  However, I do have a question or two for you.

How do I even get in a see a Primary?  Do I have to chose that ahead of time?

What about Duke?  I should have done this years ago, but I was TOO scared and now I am regretting it as life takes you where it wants you to go.  :)

I look forward to sharing info with you, but I sorta had given up, but I now have renewed spirit.

Please let me know what you find out and I will do the same.

A

Ann C.

DahliaLady71
on 12/1/15 6:24 am

Medicaid covers the surgery. I was told this by a social worker at my local health department who looked it up on Medicaid's website. This is where I go to see my primary care physician. I pay a $3 co-pay there and everywhere I go for Medicaid covered services. If it were me, I'd try to get myself established with a primary care physician who accepts Medicaid as soon as I could. Medicaid will need 5 year's worth of medical records showing where you've struggled to lose weight through other methods like Weigh****chers or calorie counting, etc. You'll also have to go on a 6 month physician supervised diet before Medicaid will approve you for surgery. And your primary will have to write a letter of medical necessity to Medicaid. Different hospitals require different things. Most require you to attend an educational seminar where they will explain the surgeries and try to answer your questions. I don't know anything about Duke specifically, but if you go to their website for their surgical weight loss program, you can probably find a phone number to call for more information. 

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have other questions and I'll try to help you.

Most Active