New to this site..seeing what info everyone can give me

usmcchick1981
on 3/29/11 4:06 am - CAMBRIDGE, OH
Hi everyone!  I am new to this site so I'm here to find out what anyone can tell me about the lap band surgery.  I'm not even sure if my insurance will pay for it as I have managed care.

Okay, so anything....anyone?

Sincerely,
Lorrinda
D. Scott
on 3/29/11 5:23 am
RNY with
Hmm, where to begin? Can you tell me more about yourself like how much weight you need to lose, are you thinking of self paying if your insurance won't cover it? Are you looking for something that helps you do the work yourself or something that will do more of the work for you?

These are not meant to pry but lapband is sorta designed for a person with specific goals, meaning it will not lose the weight for you. It acts solely to restrict the amount and types of foods you eat. Think of it as like a small funnel opening on your stomach. Essentially foods will good through slower so they much be chewed well in small bites. If not they can get stuck and it gets very uncomfortable. Plus you have a smaller space so you will be full faster. Thats it in a nutshell. For that reason you still have to eat well, and exercise.

Something I have heard more times than I can count is "well if you still have to diet and exercise why do you need a lapband?" For some of us we just needed willpower, and that is what the band provides. Others however would prefer a procedure that even while not on our best behavior still aides in weightloss, that is really not the lapband.

Also because it requires maintenence and frequent return visits to your doctor its not a procedure I would advise for self pay patients. Best of luck deciding!!

Sleeve Revision from Lap-band November 23, 2012

Starting Weight: 236 Lowest Weight w/ Lap-Band: 160 Current Weight: 190

Goal Weight: 150...40lbs to go

psychomom
on 3/29/11 5:56 am - China Grove, NC
It would be better for you to google it and see if you are interested then call your ins and find out if it is even covered then go from there . If it is covered pick a good surgeon and go in for a consultation and see what he/she thinks is the best option and why for you! Do as much research as you can and make an educated decision . I looked up as much info online as I could find and then picked my Dr and went to a seminar and then a consultation and then researched even more and poured over all the info the Dr gave me .

usmcchick1981
on 3/29/11 6:47 am - CAMBRIDGE, OH
I'm sure you will all laugh when I tell you I weigh 203 lbs. Weight loss seems totally impossible for me. I never feel full, thats the major problem! It doesn't matter how I eat I am always hungry. I've tried Weigh****chers smart ones but my stomach growls alot so all I do is eat in between. I could eat salad until I turned green but it's like drinking water, it doesn't satisfy anything.  I've been "over weight" for the past 8yrs which is when my first child was born.  I'm not sure if this is possible but I feel as if my stomach itself grew when I was pregnant so it could take in 2xs the amount for carrying a child.  Once I had my son, the stomach itself never went back.  I now have a second child but my tubes are tied so this weight loss needs to happen and never come back.
I have had back issues ever since I was pregnant with my son and as we all know, the more you gain, the worse it gets.  I wanted to go in for a breast reduction because my dr and chiropractor referred me but my insurance isn't accepted any where close and the place that was only 2hrs from me doesnt accept my insurance.  So thats me in a paragraph
Kate -True Brit
on 3/29/11 6:55 am - UK

This is not to say don't ask! Always ask! But you might find it helpful to go back and look at old threads. I have responded to Qs like this 3 or 4 times in the last couple of days! Look for the good and the bad! Check out the regular photo parades. Look at the What are you Eating Today threads.

Check out threads on here and on the other surgery boards.

Then ask specific Qs.

kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Jean M.
on 3/29/11 7:07 am
Revision on 08/16/12
Welcome, Lorrinda.

I wrote an entire book about living and succeeding with the adjustable gastric band. It's 572 pages so way, way too big for an OH post. Of course I want you to buy my book, but first I suggest that you look here on the OH band forum at the right hand side of the page where it says About Lap-Band System, especially the sections about post-op diet & exercise. If you go to the Realize Band forum you can find similar information about the Realize band (works basically the same as the Lap-Band, but made by a different company).

Also, hang around here for a week or two reading as many posts as you can. That will give you an idea of the issues people deal with after band surgery. Ask questions as they occur to you, by posting on other people's threads or by posting your own thread. If you encounter members who you admire or who intrigue you, click on their avatar and see what information they have posted on their OH profiles and blogs. 

Jean
Jean

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

Country
on 3/29/11 7:35 am
Hi Jean,

Too funny I just bought your book from Amazon.. waiting for it to come.. I got the Realize band on March 8.  Am very excited to read your book.

Thanks for writing it!!

-Country

usmcchick1981
on 3/29/11 9:38 am - CAMBRIDGE, OH
Jean, I would def. like to read your book.  Thanks for telling me where to click on the side page because I wasn't sure where to go.
(deactivated member)
on 3/29/11 7:10 am - Califreakinfornia , CA
My advice would be to get any other surgery and forget about the band.
usmcchick1981
on 3/29/11 9:35 am - CAMBRIDGE, OH
Pumpkin X, if you want to email me and tell me why you make that statement, feel free. Not sure if you wanted to write the "why" on my page.  If you dont mind, please tell me why you wouldnt chose the band.
Most Active