Time for a fill?

Sapphire1964
on 4/4/11 5:37 am
Hello everyone - several weeks ago I finally reached a point where I felt "full" ALL the time - although frustrating (cause let's face it, I AM a food-a-holic) because I had trouble even fitting in an apple for either a mid-day or an evening snack, it was kind of cool to NOT be hungry in the slightest.  Now, that has kind of changed.  I also know that I am eating over what is considered optimal for me with the band, so I think it's time for a fill?!?  I've been doing good on the weight loss so far - last time I saw the doc he didn't think I needed a fill (I'm at .55 in a 10cc band) but I'm beginning to think I do - I've lost some more weight but today ugh feel horrible (maybe it's cause it was free at work and I had a hot dog with chili - threw away the Bun (!) and tortilla chips with cheese/chili)...i will probably be UP tomorrow because of my choice at lunch, but since I know that I can't let it get me down.  Anyway, had to share that bit as I feel horrible ugh full bloated not in a good way either and wanted to see if any of you felt that way before getting a fill (where you noticed a difference on satiety after meals) - thanks!

RNY 04/05/04
BOB 12/30/10 (Band over Bypass)  

crystal M.
on 4/4/11 6:42 am - Joliet, IL
If you feel full after 4-6 oz of lean protein and for 4 hours after a meal then you are fine.  These are the questions my surgeon asks me to determine if I need a fill. 

Although, I have 9.9 ccs in my band I can tell you I can easily eat a hot dog w/o the bun and some chips.  A hot dog falls with in the 4-6 oz.  If your band is so full you can't eat one hotdog w/o the bun then I would think you are too full.  You have to be able to eat good healthy lean protein and veggie...which actually is more filling than a hot dog.  I would say judge your need for a fill based on the your surgeon's criteria and not the that you cheated today and ate a hot dog and chilli.  You ate the wrong things today but tomorrow is another day.  Make your self a healthy meal tomorrow and see if you can finish that.  If you feel full after the meal don't get a fill.     
Lisa O.
on 4/4/11 7:07 am - Snoqualmie, WA
Here are the 3 questions asked to determine if you need a fill:

1.  Are you hungry between meals?
2.  Has your WL stalled?
3.  Can you eat more than one cup of food at a time?

If you answer yes to 2 or more of these questions you may need a fill.

There is no way that I could eat a hot dog with chili AND chips with cheese chili.  I only have 5.8 in my band but I've never needed more than that for good restriction.  HOWEVER, the fill amount is relative only to your personal experience.  There is no consistancy whatsoever when it comes to fill amounts and restriction. 

Keep working on the portion size.  More than 1/2 a cup per meal may be  too much for your pouch capacity unless you're talking about soft foods or liquids.  You may have a larger pouch than I do, but if I go over 1/2 cup, the  food will be resting in the lower part of my esophagus until it works it way through the band opening and that is not good!

I hope you get a fill if you need one.  Just remember, there are many ways to work around the band and ultimately you have to control portion size and food quality.  Unfortunately the band doesn't do it all, even with great restriction!

Hang in there!

Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

(deactivated member)
on 4/4/11 7:16 am - Des Moines, IA
I have never felt full since I got my band.  I feel "satisfied", but not full.  Sounds like you were on the tight side if you couldn't eat an apple.  Just because you can "overeat" doesn't mean you need a fill.  You should go by how long you can go without being hungry for 3-4 hours after eating 3 oz of dense protein and 1/4 c veggie etc.   A hot dog is not dense protein to me.  I've never eaten one since my band actually.  I'm talking chicken, beef, pork, fish etc.

I  figure some hunger won't kill me.  I just drink some fluids and it helps.

They say that just because you can, doesn't mean  you should. 

Don't totally depend on your band to stop you from eating, you have to do some of the work also.

I know that sounds a little tough, but you want to keep your band safe and not be too tight and end up just eating sliders down the road. 

Good luck,
Kristi
kbagnell
on 4/5/11 3:57 am - Bristol, Canada
Sounds like sage advice to me, Kristi!  I am actually revelling in the feeling of being slightly hungry or empty, or whatever you call it!  At least I'm not stuffed like I was before.  Protein, veggies, dairy and no crap.  I won't even have it in the house so as not to be tempted.  IF I need something sweet I make old fashioned cocoa - low fat milk, cocoa powder and splenda.  It really does the trick!  I am inspired by your success!  Karol
(deactivated member)
on 4/5/11 4:15 am - Des Moines, IA
Thanks Karol!
Most Active