Did you have to get fill taken out for surgery?

michele1
on 4/13/11 4:10 am
Revision on 07/07/15
Hello everyone.......

I just wanted to know if anyone has ever had surgery and anesthesia without having to get some fill taken out of their band?

They want to do nasal surgery on me, I have always had problems with nausea when having anesthesia. 

I wouldn't mind having the fill taken out but I am having a hard time keeping the weight off and have even gained a few pounds with what I think is good restriction heaven forbid without any.

I do plan of course on checking with my surgeon as it will be his call but was just wondering in the meantime.......

Thanks,

Michele
LuciousLA & Babylapband
on 4/13/11 4:33 am - Greenbelt, MD
Lap Band on 02/13/06 with
My doctor said I did not have to but I did because I thought would wake up choking, I really wish I had not.
michele1
on 4/13/11 7:40 am
Revision on 07/07/15
Thank you so much for your response.....it seems like I have been battling these last 20 pounds I want to lose...... losing 10 and then gaining it back over and over so I don't even want to think what it would be like without the band.

Of course I will listen to what my Doc says but hoping I won't have to...........

Thanks again,

Michele
Jean M.
on 4/13/11 4:57 am
Revision on 08/16/12
Michele,

I didn't have any fill taken out prior to my port repair surgery and had no problems, but I didn't have a whole lot of fill in there at that time.

When you've had nausea from anesthesia in the past, have you been given any anti-nausea meds? Did they help? If not, I'd be tempted to have a little bit of fill removed. Otherwise, leave it alone.

Before you're discharged after the nasal surgery, you'll be able to get anti-nausea meds by injection and they work really fast that way (my experience right after my original band surgery), and if the doc sends you home with an anti-nausea med (suppository or pill), you should be OK. But I'm not a doctor!

Jean

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

michele1
on 4/13/11 8:27 am
Revision on 07/07/15
Jean,

Thank you so much for your response I appreciate it! I still had nausea after the lap band surgery regardless of the anti-nausea medication but then again of course I had surgery on my stomach..... when I had my wrist operated on about 10 years ago I had no issues with nausea because of the medication......

After the lap band they gave me  painkillers so that might have been what caused it..... either way I will follow my Docs advise.....I wouldn't want to put the band at risk I haven't vomited since having the band and don't pb or slime. Don't want to gain weight but don't want to risk losing the band.

Once again thanks for posting, the surgeon does know best but he doesn't have a band around his stomach so he can only go on what he is taught.

Michele

Melanie V.
on 4/13/11 11:05 pm - Denver, CO
 Did they put a patch behind your ear? That has worked wonders for me.
Surgery 2/3/10 Weight 207
Current 165
Goal 140
Believe you can and you're halfway there. -Theodore Roosevelt-
PameW
on 4/13/11 5:26 am
I had surgery last October and did not get an unfill prior to it.
michele1
on 4/13/11 8:28 am
Revision on 07/07/15

Pam,

Thanks for responding, although I will take my surgeons advise it is good to hear from someone that has actually gone through it!

Michele

Lisa O.
on 4/13/11 6:53 am - Snoqualmie, WA
I had 2 cc's removed when I had my hysterectomy last Oct.  It wasn't necessary and I wish I hadn't done it.  It took forever to get my restriction back afterwards.  Just request and anti nausea.  I had a patch behind my ear for the hysterectomy and a pill before my band surgery.  Both worked great, no nausea at all for me.

Best~
Lias O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

michele1
on 4/13/11 8:32 am
Revision on 07/07/15
Lisa,

Thanks....that is what I am afraid of, my worse fear. I will speak with the nasal surgeon about the anti-nausea meds they use and get his opinion but of course most of the time no one knows what the band is LOL.....

Michele

Most Active