lap band vs gastric sleeve

d_thomcat2000
on 5/4/11 4:34 am - Kapaa, HI
I have been spending a lot of time on the gastric sleeve forum.  I will have to go to Mexico for whatever surgery i decide on.  I live on one of the smaller of the Hawaiian islands.  My struggle with my decision regarding what kind of surgery  is access to aftercare. 

For the gastric sleeve I keep thinking of the dreaded leak.  The idea of cutting part of my stomach away, I don't know, it just seems so radical. 

For the lap-band I keep thinking about having to fly off island for fills and the different complications  people have with the lap band, for example slippage or things get twisted and the band has to be removed. 

I have heard the pros and the cons of  gastric sleeve argument and if perhaps I had the appropriate aftercare I would go that way.  I would love to hear from banders their thoughts as to why they are so happy with the lap band.  

steelerfan1
on 5/4/11 4:43 am, edited 5/4/11 4:45 am
I'm very happy with my band , BUT I will be very honest with you . If you do not have the aftercare near you for the lap band then I would not even consider getting this surgery done .

The lap band takes alot of care the first yr. I have to see my doc every month , I have been very lucky that I haven't had no fills since my surgery but not everybody is like that you could be that you need one every month.

If you dont have the money to fly back and forth for your fills and doc visits then I would not get one .

I got my lap band because I can see the hospital from my bathroom window . Its just across the river from me and a two minute drive.

And I knew the lap band would work for me because of my eating style.

I do love the lap band but I will be very very honest with you I dont think getting the lap band would be the best decision for you just because you do not live anywhere close to aftercare that the band really does need.

I am no way telling you not to get one . I have lost 50 pounds 30 inches in five months and have done all this without a fill  but with your situation I dont think it would be best for you to get one.

Quit Smoking
10/8/10
Starting BMI  52.9  BMI now  44.4        updated  6/6/11

d_thomcat2000
on 5/4/11 5:04 am - Kapaa, HI
Thank you for your honest and great answer.  This is the kind of info I need. 
steelerfan1
on 5/4/11 5:24 am
You are very welcome :o) Good luck in making your choice and do what is best for you that is all that matters in the long run :o)

Quit Smoking
10/8/10
Starting BMI  52.9  BMI now  44.4        updated  6/6/11

kdolphin
on 5/4/11 5:43 am - FL
HI,

I agree, without aftercare the band should not be done.  Recently I had a band to sleeve revision and it was done in Mexico by Dr Aceves.

When I had my band I went to the Dr about 5-6 times a year, more the first year.  My band was great when it was working and since I had a problem being allergic to mosquito bites which I didn't know when I was banded, my stomach would swell and I couldn't swallow anything.  So my revision was done with what I consider one of the very best revision surgeons.  For the past 9 weeks no problems and I flew back to Florida after my surgery so I am quite a way from Mexico.

We will be moving to Maui in a month or so but if I would still have had the band we wouldn't be doing it since the after care would have been so hard.

Good Luck with whatever you decide. 
soup7777
on 5/4/11 6:05 am - TX
Lap band does require a lot of follow ups for the doctor.  I ended up having about 7 fills, and probably still need another one here (I notice my portion sizes are about 2 cups, and not a cup).

My insurance would only cover that or gastric bypass (not sleeve).  I didn't like the thought of things being cut up (like you), so I opted for the band.  It also allows you to be in more control.

I don't know much about gastric sleeve.  I know it's like you have to remind yourself to eat.  But I always wondered, if your issue with food was psychological (i.e. stress eater), would it help with that as well?  Or would you just eat and not realize it?
MARIA F.
on 5/4/11 6:26 am - Athens, GA

The band can get very expensive. Now me for example, I self paid also (in the states, however I am looking to revise to VSG in Mexico). I have had my Lap-Band 18 mos. During that time I have had 16 fills and 4 partial unfills. Omg! If I had to fly to all those Drs. apts. that would have cost me a FORTUNE! And worse than that...............I still don't have restriction/sweet spot, so it would have been an even more expensive venture for NOTHING! :-(

I suggest reading on the revision forum and seeing which of the two are having more ppl revise FROM it, the band or the VSG. After all...............if the band was that great all those ppl wouldn't want to be putting theirselves through the pain and expense of yet another WLS now would they???

Good luck!

FormerlyFluffy.com

(deactivated member)
on 5/4/11 6:48 am
If you are going to be chasing your band's sweet spot then you you are going to be spending a lot on fills and unfills.  A good doctor will have you moving up slow progressive fills and you shouldn't need an unfill, but if you are one of those people who's body doesn't tolerate the band well then you will be chasing the sweet spot forever. If you are like me then your sweet spot moves over time.  Towards the end of my band even it was too tight even completly emptied.

Also, if you do consider the band make sure that an emergency room near you will do an unfill in an emergency.  Not all emergency rooms will unfill a band.

I finally had my band removed two weeks ago to have the VSG because of all the complications with the band.
Hislady
on 5/4/11 11:53 am - Vancouver, WA
I would never recommend the band for someone unless they had after care right where you live. The band can go from fine to extremely dangerous in a matter of hours. It takes constant fills and unfills and many of us never do find the illusive green zone. Also there are  a lot of us that end up with the same issue Bear talked about with a band that tightens by itself for no reason whatsoever. I've finally had mine completely emptied because of this. Myself I wouldn't wish the band on my worst enemy! Once the sleeve is done, it's done and no more messing with it. It works like the band is supposed to but doesn't!
d_thomcat2000
on 5/6/11 5:02 am - Kapaa, HI
I wanted to thank everyone for your answers.  No band for me.  And as it stands now no gastric sleeve.  There is no appropriate after care here for either kind of surgery. 
Most Active