Caffeine and the band

ShrinkingHopefully
on 5/9/11 10:46 am
Had my first coffee today that was not decaf since my surgery and only a small one. What is the reason we can't have caffeine?
Bette B.
on 5/9/11 11:09 am
 I couldn't have caffeine for 6 weeks after my surgery, but have had it every day (SEVERAL times a day, some days!) since then. 

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

Jshivery
on 5/9/11 11:20 am
Revision on 03/10/16
Oh, Bette, I'm glad I'm not the only one...Holy crap-ola, I gave all but 1 cup up before surgery, but I'm about 6 wks out and I have 2-3 cups a day.  How I love thy coffee!!!  LOL  1 of my favs is SF iced vanilla coffee from McDonalds.  I only have 1 maybe 1 time a week...

I think they say not to drink caffiene because its a diuretic(sp)....So my NUT said, for every cup of caffeine, I needed to add a cup of water.  I drink about 96-100 oz of water anyway....

Hislady
on 5/9/11 11:29 am - Vancouver, WA
My first couple of weeks I couldn't stand the taste but after that I've had a couple of cups or more a day. It isn't a diurectic if you are used to drinking it only if you don't usually drink it. I wouldn't put up with a life without coffee!
crystal M.
on 5/9/11 11:32 am - Joliet, IL
I was told it stimulates your appetite.  I don't need any extra help in that department.  I weened myself off caffeine years ago.  I only have it now with my occasional iced tea. 
Lisaizme
on 5/9/11 11:39 am - TX
According to my doctor there's no reason we can't have caffeine.  We do need to be careful that we don't overload our coffee with high calorie creams & sugars.

That caffeine = diuretic is a myth that is taking forever to die.  In normal amounts ( 2 or 3 cups a day) it's no more dehydrating than water is.  Google "caffeine dehydrating" and see what you find.  :)

Of course, if your doctor thinks differently, I can't tell you to go against his orders.  
Lisa
"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." Reinhold Niebuhr

JoMixx
on 5/10/11 9:53 am - West Yarmouth, MA

Hi - thanks for your post Lisa...I didn't realize that caffeine/diuretic was a myth so I always drink as much water as the coffee...eg...I have 8 oz of coffee, I add 8 extra ounces of water so some days I end up drinking 80 something ounces of water.

Surgery 1/6/11 , 14ml band - 0ml fill      
sesmith
on 5/9/11 11:40 am
 my doc says ok to coffee and caffeine
Jshivery
on 5/9/11 11:50 am
Revision on 03/10/16
I stand corrected.  All I know is I can't live with out it.  I love my coffee and when i don't have it, I'm a walking zombie!!!!

steelerfan1
on 5/9/11 12:04 pm, edited 5/9/11 12:04 pm
I was allowed no caffeine the first six weeks after surgery but I drin**** Tea all the time.  Caffeine has never stimulated my appetite so it dont bother me .

I only drink caffeine on the weekends though. through the week it's noting bu****er but weekends it's nothing but Ice Tea lol.

Quit Smoking
10/8/10
Starting BMI  52.9  BMI now  44.4        updated  6/6/11

Most Active