Losing weight the hard way!!!

Andrea H.
on 6/10/11 8:56 am - Middletown, NJ
VSG on 04/08/13
 I jus****ched a video on Yahoo, about a women who lost 300 lbs.   The reporter says, "she didn't have radical surgery, she lost it the HARD way.  She lost it with nutrition and exercise."   So does this mean I took the easy way out?  I think I work just as hard as someone who didn't have surgery.  I love the fact that people who never have to experience being obese thinks surgery is "the easy way out".   That reporter just pissed me off!!!  

Just figured I would share.  

HW 300, SW (Realize Band) 268, Revision to VSG 264

Lisaizme
on 6/10/11 9:04 am - TX
uh huh.. like a scalpel is a magic wand that makes the fat miraculously disappear.

I just laugh at people's ignorance when they call surgery the easy way.  :)
Lisa
"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." Reinhold Niebuhr

steelerfan1
on 6/10/11 9:16 am, edited 6/10/11 9:16 am
I dont think I took the easy way out . I have to work just as hard as she does . I have to eat right, I have to exercise, I have to drink my water.

Just because I got this band around my stomach does not stop me from eating. I could sit down and eat a gallon of ice cream right now if I wanted to , or I could sit down and eat a whole roll of cookies or candy bars.

I still have to make the decision on what foods to eat, and how much to eat .  The band dont stop you from doing that .

All the band does for me is remind me to slow down to eat, and not to eat so much that is all , I can still eat anything and everything that I did before the band , but now Im choosing better foods to eat for the most part .

It's amazing what you can learn about yourself when you go through this process.

Quit Smoking
10/8/10
Starting BMI  52.9  BMI now  44.4        updated  6/6/11

(deactivated member)
on 6/10/11 9:46 am
Come on ....be honest! I got my band because it is easier than doing it the hard way..Why would I have an operation if it didn't help me??
I know I couldn't have lost the weight without the help, and I am happy to admit it..

WLS does help you loose weigh....Why else would you do it???

Petra
steelerfan1
on 6/10/11 10:21 am
Petra,

I have to disagree with you .  Getting this surgery is not any easier.  The band dont take the head hunger away, the band dont make you stop from stress eating, the band dont stop you from emotional eating .

You still have to deal with all those things .   Just because we got the band , the band dont stop them things,  Like I said before the band dont stop you from overeating .  We can eat around the band anytime we want to  if that wasn't the case then nobody would gain weight back with the band and we know that isn't true from the stories on this board.

WLS dont necessary guarantee you to lose weight.  You still have to make the right choices on food.

I can sit here and eat a McDonald's hash brown and fries for breakfast, for lunch french fries and some kind of burger all in one cup portion size of course, and then for dinner a slice of pizza.

All that food can be eaten in one cup per meal  but those are not good choices in food.  Do you really think you are going to lose weight eating them kind of foods ? 

WLS dont guarantee you nothing. It's the person that has to put the work in to guarantee you something.

Quit Smoking
10/8/10
Starting BMI  52.9  BMI now  44.4        updated  6/6/11

(deactivated member)
on 6/10/11 11:09 am

So you got your band despite the fact that you could do it all without the "tool"?.. Like I said
"I" couldn't have done it without the band....and I glady admit that it is EASIER than without the band.

I am not saying it is EASY, it is easier,,,because I have little to no willpower and if I did I wouldn't be fat to begin with....

I am talking about ME no one else..so please don't get upset because you feel that you are doing it the "As Hard as" way..

I'm saying it is easier FOR ME..

Petra

D. Scott
on 6/11/11 3:10 am
RNY with
While I agree that we all definitely had surgery to make the impossible possible, it did not turn out to be the "easy" route for sure. I don't think its quite fair though to group Lapband in an all inclusive WLS category since there are some procedures such as DS and RNY that DO lose weight for you as a result of malabsorption. I am still not saying those are the easy path either but Lapband does nothing but allow you to eat less and sometimes not even that unless you have great restriction. I can tell you I am finally restricted again right now and gaining weight because I am eating all the wrong foods. I have to start tracking, exercising, and stick to my portion control before I am going to stop gaining and hopefully get back on the losing side, but I assure you those meddling minds who think its easy have no clue the work that goes into it. Lapband still requires diet, exercise, mind control over head hunger, and most definitely still involves a daily mind ass-whipping. Right now to me this is very much the "hard way". Not only because I have to work so much at it, but because I have tons of eyes on me waiting for me to fail so they can be rudely judgemental. I get compared to RNY'er and Ds'ers ALL THE TIME. ("Didn't you get that surgery so-and-so had who lost over 100lbs, they have done so well"...grrr)

Sleeve Revision from Lap-band November 23, 2012

Starting Weight: 236 Lowest Weight w/ Lap-Band: 160 Current Weight: 190

Goal Weight: 150...40lbs to go

(deactivated member)
on 6/11/11 3:45 am
I agree, but you do see my point, right? Without the "tool" we wouldn't be where we are.
I never said it is easy, I said it is easier for ME. And, as I said, even thou we work hard to get to where we are going...We wouldn't get there without the "tool" . Now, not having had DS or RNY or VSG I wouldn't presume to say "they" are the easy way out or not..I don't think  those people would take kindly to the assumption it is the 'EASY way"

I don't think its quite fair though to group Lapband in an all inclusive WLS category since there are some procedures such as DS and RNY that DO lose weight for you as a result of malabsorption

You are implying that the Lapband is "harder" then the rest, right?

So it is the easy way out with the other WLS, but not the band??

IMO whatever helps..good for you....

And I wouldn't worry about what other people say to your progress, you are doing this for yourself and not them...:))
Andrea H.
on 6/10/11 10:00 am - Middletown, NJ
VSG on 04/08/13
I am being honest, and I don't think having surgery to lose weight was ever an easy way out. My opinion it was the only way or be fat for the rest of my life. I have to watch what I eat, I have to exercise and drink water the same way I just have a tool that helps me where she has will power. Something I don't have!

Good for her for losing it in 3 years all by herself, it was just the skinny reporter who said she did it "the hard way". If the hard way worked for everyone United States would not have an obesity problem. Just my opinion.

HW 300, SW (Realize Band) 268, Revision to VSG 264

(deactivated member)
on 6/10/11 11:12 am

Andrea, I totally agree with you..I didn't mean it is the easy way,,it is the easier way,
I,like you, have little willpower, and the Gibbslap I get from my band helps me to stop stuffing my face.
Like I said not EASY WAY, buy WAY EASIER

Most Active