I can't see the logic???

Evelyn M.
on 6/24/11 8:13 pm - United Kingdom
HI All,

I was banded 07/03/11 and had my first fill 04/22/11, so I have now 4.6cc in my band. I didn't really feel restriction and had no problem whatsoever to eat "normal" portions. On Wednesday, I was so stressed at work, I ate A LOT, which I shouldn't have been doing. chocolate, baked beans, 2 bananas, pasta, potatoe salad and turkey mince etc... obviously not all in one go, but during the whole day I was eating quite a bit (I should mention that I am quite obviously a stress and emotional eater).
Thursday I woke up and I felt quite tight. In the mornings that is nothing new to me, but this time it lastet through the day, and so it was yesterday and today. I even lost FINALLY almost 3 pounds in that three days, and before that I was on a major plateau. My portions are little, I feel satisfied very quickly, just the way it should be.

My question: How is this possible??Is it even possible or did something happen in my head? I mean, I had a fill over 2 months ago and now I feel restriction? I have no logic explanation for this. Also, how come we can feel tighter in the morning than in the evening? I am very pleased with the restriction, I just do not understand how it is posisble??? Any opinions?
Roll on weight loss!

vlp1968
on 6/24/11 8:35 pm
Not sure why you suddenly got tight, but lucky for you. Enjoy it. Yes, it is very common to be tight in the am. When I was tighter, I just had a protien shake for breakfast.
crystal M.
on 6/24/11 9:26 pm - Joliet, IL
You might want to call your surgeon just to see what they think.  A band slip can cause sudden tightness (or looseness).  He can check your band and make sure everything is in tip-top shape.

That said...it is normal to have your band get loser or tighter.  You have to remember your band is sitting around living tissue.  Tissue that responds to weather, emotions, illness and so on.  People can get suddenly tight or lose.  What I wanted to ask is...are you able to eat at least 4 oz of protein and half a cup of veggies???  If not then you are too tight.  If you are too tight that you aren't able to follow the Band diet then you need to see your doctor.  I knew someone that kept her band too tight because she was losing lots of weight.  Well long story short...she ended up losing her band and gained back most of her weight in a year.  I don't want to scare you I just want to make sure you understand the risk of keeping your band too tight.  It is tempting to keep your band tight when you are losing 5+ lbs a week.  You have to think of your health and long term success.  

Good luck. 

Lisaizme
on 6/24/11 9:33 pm - TX
Good point on the band slip possibility.  The over consumption and subsequent tightness made me think that slippage might have occurred and I thought about mentioning it, but I wasn't clear in my own mind about the signs/symptoms.
Lisa
"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." Reinhold Niebuhr

Evelyn M.
on 6/25/11 12:50 am - United Kingdom
HIya,

I always thought a band slip would come hand-in-hand with some kind of pain, or am I mistaken? I have an appointment fortunately on Tuesday anyway, I will definitely discuss it with my surgeon. I am definitely able to eat my proteins and veggies, so I don't think I am too tight, I always thought before I was too lose. Please don't misunderstand my post, I am delighted that I am "there", at least since three days now, and I really hope it stays like this, I just do not understand how this is physically possible or if it is a head thing (however, your explanation with the living tissue does make sense to me).
I am also still able to eat everything, so all goes down smoothly, no stuck problems whatsoever. Could it be that the lapband arrived in my mind, if that makes sense?

Thanks for your help! Evelyn
Roll on weight loss!

crystal M.
on 6/25/11 2:54 am - Joliet, IL
Yes the person I knew that had a slip her first symptom for months was that she was too tight...but she didn't say anything to her doctor because she was losing tons of weight.  But after several months of ignoring the tightness she also started to get acid reflux.  So yes it is possible for some to have no symptoms at all except tightness.  Everyone is different.  I'm glad you will talk to your doctor.  Nothing wrong with being extra careful.  Let us know what he said.
Lisaizme
on 6/24/11 9:28 pm - TX
Your dates are a bit confusing.. banded 07/03/11 ?   It's still June 2011.  And you had a fill 04/22/11 ?  The fill before the banding??

Anyhow, guessing that the banding was 07/03/10.. and for some reason, it took 8 or 9 months to get a fill..it's not unusual for a fill to take a while to "kick in" although 2 months is a bit longer than I've heard.

We're not looking for restriction in terms of the band making us stop eating.  What you want to achieve is appetite dimming, so that you can stop on small amounts of food and be satisfied.  It is a subtle but important difference.

People who depend on the band to make them stop eating can eventually stretch out the upper stomach (or pouch) and therefore start eating larger amts of food to get that "full feeling" and stall in their weight loss, or even gain.  :(

You might want to read Dr. Simpson's article about banding and how it's not about restriction.

http://drsimpson.net/fills/Lap-band-eating/lap-band-not-rest riction/lap-band-and-restriction.html

As to why we are tighter after waking up from sleep..  I've heard the theory advanced that drainage from sinuses pool in the upper stomach and maybe even above the band and sorta "clog" things up.  That's why many bandsters drink something warm first upon wakening to prime the pump so to speak.. so they can eat or take meds without issues.

It would be helpful to you if you can find another way to deal with emotions or stress other than eating.  I'm not scolding, I've been guilty of it too, but your long term success and health of your band will be improved if you can find alternates.  If you can, consider going to therapy (the person who did your pre-op psych evaluation would be an option if you clicked with them), or getting some self-help books or even just take a short walk when stressed.. or if you have an office where you can close the door.. do so and do something physical (jog in place, do pushups) for a bit.  I'm just brain-storming, I'm sure you or some other posters can come up with some better ideas on relieving stress while at work.

Congrats on being satisfied on smaller amounts.  I hope that stays with you for a long time (or at least until you've dropped a size or two.. then you'll need more fill).
Lisa
"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." Reinhold Niebuhr

Evelyn M.
on 6/25/11 12:44 am - United Kingdom
oops, sorry Lisa, I tried to write the dates in the US way (I am from the UK), but succeeded only with the April one..:) So I was banded on 7th March 2011 and had my first fill 22nd of April 2011. There, I think it's much safer if I write the dates like this, sorry for the confusion :)

Thank you for your input. When I said restriction, I did not mean that I could not eat anymore- unfortunately I always could eat more- but I really really do not feel the need to because I feel utterly satisfied with the small portions. Even now, I just went to so our weekly shopping I passed by the sweets section and I think this is the very first time I did not feel the urge to buy any chocolate. Great NSV for me as a sweety :))

You are absolutely right on my emotional eating, this has always been my killer and I really need to get it sorted.

Thanks again for your comment :)
Roll on weight loss!

got2wantit
on 6/24/11 9:39 pm
Evelyn,
I hope that someone can solve the mystery. I go through the same things that you described. My band also gets tighter when I am stressed and with all the lay offs going on around me I am stressed alot. I am suffering right now because my last fill 3 weeks ago is a smidge to tight and I can't drink liquids, but I can eat so quess which one I am doing? Best of luck in your WL and I hope you het some answers today from others.
Evelyn M.
on 6/25/11 12:52 am - United Kingdom
oh no :(( Did you make another appointment to get a slight unfill? I hope so too we solve the mystery, but I will speak with my surgeon next week and ask him.
All the Best to you :) Evelyn
Roll on weight loss!

Most Active