REAL tips on HOW TO USE THIS BOARD EFFECTIVELY AND BE SUCCESSFUL

Bette B.
on 6/24/11 1:09 am, edited 6/24/11 3:12 am
These are just a few suggestions to start you off. I'm sure that other posters will chime in with their tips.

FOREMOST: IF YOU ARE HAVING A MEDICAL EMERGENCY, ARE EXPERIENCING UNRESOLVED PAIN, CONSTANT VOMITING, ETC. DO NOT POST HERE FOR HELP. CALL 911, VISIT YOUR NEAREST HOSPITAL AND CALL YOUR PHYSICIAN(S) IMMEDIATELY!

- Obesity Help has their own list of TOS (Terms of Service) that you should read so you can be aware of their own requirements for a post's acceptability.

- No one - other than OH - owns, runs or dictates this or any other forum.

- Know that EVERYONE is allowed to post whatever they want to this or any other OH forum. You will hear both pros and cons of the band.

- Disregard comments from people who HAVE NOT HAD A BAND!

- Remember that even people who have had negative band experiences may have things to offer you.

- YOU are always welcome to post what you like. Obviously, issues and topics relating to band and band life are primary, but if you want to post a photo of your new puppy, feel free. If you want to tell us about your vacation, great! If you're having a crappy day or just lost your job, feel free to vent. Posts that are not band-related should be prefaced with "OT" (off topic) on the subject line.

- If you find a person or their comments disagreeable, you can block them using the BLOCK button, which can be found below the person's post(s). This is a very good function!

- Understand that everyone will have a different experience with the band. You may lose a lot of weight. You may lose very little weight. You may have no success at all. It's possible.

- It is recommended that you post band-related issues HERE, rather than on the Main Board, which can be notoriously "bandtagonistic."

- Remember that people post the same questions here all the time. Before posting, scroll down through recent posts to see if your question has already been asked.

- If your post doesn't get the quantity of responses you would like, please don't post that you're now pissed because no one cares. We may not have an answer to your issue or may have responded to that issue 5 times in the past hour.

- Understand that NO surgery is right for EVERYONE, regardless of what anyone says. Only you and you alone should make the decision of which procedure is right for you, your needs, your life and your expectation.

- Expect that no one here is a medical professional, regardless of what they may say. The Internet is full of BS artists and liars along with people who genuinely want to help you. For MEDICAL ADVICE, consult your own medical team: surgeon, nutritionist, primary care physician.

- Appreciate that most posters will be trying to help you resolve whatever issue you need addressed. But if someone tells you that you are doing something wrong ("You need to exercise more", for example) don't get pissed if you don't like the answer.

- Understand that you may not lose weight - especially large amounts of it - right after your surgery. Look for posts regarding "Bandster Hell" for details.

- Feel free to privately message (PM) people if you have an issue you would like to discuss off the board. Use the CONTACT button at the bottom of the person's post.

- You will, fairly quickly, learn what posts to read - and whose - and which to not bother with. There are a lot of topics that will just not interest you. Don't feel like you have to read or respond to all of them.

- TRY TO HAVE FUN. You will meet some people here who you will call "friend" for years, perhaps even life!

ETA a few more:

- Your surgeon and/or nutritionist should have given you a post-op diet to follow. If they HAVEN'T, be sure to ask for one. If they HAVE, FOLLOW IT. Please don't post that you're a day out of surgery, ate an apple and don't know what to do. You will most likely get and forum dope-slapping. Please don't act surprised if you do.

-Standard message board protocols apply. ALL CAPS MAKES IT LOOKS LIKE YOU ARE SHOUTING. That's fine, if you are actually trying to shout as in, "HELP ME!!" Caps are also fine for emphasis.

- Read your post before you hit "submit" to make sure it makes sense. There are many times when we read someone's post and actually have no idea what they are asking about.

- Please try not to use a font color that is hard to read, like light pink or pale blue, on the white OH background. Please try to avoid using a tiny font size. Not everyone has a large monitor.

Well, that's a place for you to start. Again these are just suggestions. Take them, don't take them. It's your call. I hope that some of the regulars will check in with some tips and gentle suggestions of their own.

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

looking4hope
on 6/24/11 1:17 am
Nice post
Highest 317 6/1 start pre-op diet312 6/15 2 days before surgery303 6/22 5 days post-op296  6/28 11 days post-op  290 7/5 18 days post-op 288 8/19 10 weeks post-op 278 9/10 274 11/6 268 2/18 257 3/26 249 5/14 237

Dev *.
on 6/24/11 1:17 am - Austin, TX
We also need a re-post of your "easy way out" essay. That was yours, right? Or was it someone else?

Banded 03/22/06  276/261/184 (highest/surgery/lowest)

Sleeved 07/11/2013  228/165 (surgery/current) (111lbs lost)

Mom to two of the cutest boys on earth.

Bette B.
on 6/24/11 1:45 am
 Yep. That was me. I'll have to post that later- it's been a while.

Stephanie M.
on 6/24/11 2:00 am
please do!

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

(deactivated member)
on 6/24/11 1:21 am, edited 6/24/11 1:22 am - ~Somewhere in~, PA
 Wow...did not know you had it in you BETTE...where were you when so many people were being run off from being constantly attacked by the band bashers...HEY I AM FOR ANY TYPE SUPPORT THAT IS POSITIVE... EVEN YOURS....
sfnativewm
on 6/24/11 1:29 am

I missed your posts a whole lot!!  
p.s.: Ignore nana's post!! 

~Ann~
Band removed and feeling alive with energy!

Bette B.
on 6/24/11 2:55 am
 I usually don't read her stuff, because I had her blocked. But I got a "you aren't gonna BELIEVE this!" PM this morning, so I had to read it. I'm glad I read it BEFORE I ate, because it would have caused me to lose my breakfast.

I never thought I would long for the days of Sandy R's brand of madness!

BuckeyeGirl
on 6/24/11 1:30 am - TN
 Great Tips! You are awesome, Bette, but...something tells me you know this already.

Thanks again,
Lindsey

(deactivated member)
on 6/24/11 2:17 am
This board shall only have one queen!!!

In all seriousness, I have valued Bette's posts way more than "she who shall not be named".
Most Active