HELP

Patiurple
on 6/30/11 5:41 am - Wheatland, OK
heres the scoop I have a friend who had lap band about three months after I had rny. Almost three years ago. since her surgery she lost all but about 20 pounds to be at goal. BUT she has gained everything back plus. Claims she cant eat anything but cheetos and coke.  everything else comes back up. been to her surgeon to unfilled her sent her to see a psych and was cleared. has anyone else had this problem?  searching for answers ty
being healthy has its rewards....take the challenge and just do it
Lisa O.
on 6/30/11 6:23 am - Snoqualmie, WA
It sounds like she is too tight and it's unfortunate that her surgeon couldn't be more helpful.  Did she have him do an upper GI?  It's certainly within her rights to request one.  The first step would be to rule out any complications like a slip, etc.  If her band is in good shape then she's going to have to make some decisions...

It's easy to eat around the band if you choose to.  Maladaptive eating behaviors, (turning to slider foods and liquid calories because it's easier than eating dense protein),  are common if your too tight or when you don't want to use the band eating skills necessary, i.e., chewing well, eating slowly, measuring portions, not drinking with meals, etc.  I could also eat Cheetos all day but choose not to. 

She may have been living with a too tight band for a long time and it simple defeated her because she was so limited.  Keeping a tight band doesn't do what you think it might, it doesn't make you lose weight faster and it often sabotages your effort to eat well.  It's not worth it!  Been there, done that!

Soda is not recommended for band patients.  It's supposed to be hard on the stoma but the jury is still out on that one. 

It take patience and a lot of tweaking to get the band to a good level where it does its job without being too restrictive and some people report never getting restriction.  If she's not willing to keep trying, (barring any complications with the band), then she may need to consider a revision.

You're a good friend to look out for her! 

Best~
Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

kathkeb
on 6/30/11 6:23 am
Nope ---- hmmm, I don't even know if I can eat cheetos, because I have not tried.

coke -- a bad idea all around

She really thinks that she can eat cheetos and coke, but can't drink a protein shake or eat tuna?
Extremely hard for me to believe.

I completely understand people who say that they can't eat solid protein well -- and I am sorry that they struggle --- but cheetos and coke --- sounds like a picky 4 year old to me
Kath

Patiurple
on 6/30/11 6:38 am - Wheatland, OK
the sad part is before she haad her surgery I told her all the facts about lap band how it could be sabatoged and that she had to live a new life.
I cant even imagine eatting cheetos...and to drink COKE i would die...she knows all of this but claims everything else makes her vomit. hard to beleive. her surgeon unfilled her no restriction at all  but then she never was completley filled. she claims the pscyh found nothing wrong.
I am hopeing that maybe someone has had similar issues...
(deactivated member)
on 6/30/11 7:17 am - Califreakinfornia , CA
On June 30, 2011 at 1:38 PM Pacific Time, Patiurple wrote:
the sad part is before she haad her surgery I told her all the facts about lap band how it could be sabatoged and that she had to live a new life.
I cant even imagine eatting cheetos...and to drink COKE i would die...she knows all of this but claims everything else makes her vomit. hard to beleive. her surgeon unfilled her no restriction at all  but then she never was completley filled. she claims the pscyh found nothing wrong.
I am hopeing that maybe someone has had similar issues...
It appears you both are heading in the wrong direction. Maybe you could help each other out by attending a support group together.

Patiurple
on 6/30/11 8:55 am - Wheatland, OK
My my how supportive you are.  I am asking because i had RNY not lap band. I read about the band and knew it was not for me.
Kinda funny you write that to me and you had a revision..what someone didnt tell you all the facts? I told her everything I had researched on all wls.  No rosy colored sales pitch came from me. Thats why when I was a moderator for a support group I had the best attendance cause I knew my facts. I never saw or read anything like this...can only drink coke and eat cheetos...If I knew the answer I wouldnt have aasked on here...SO thank you for your reply..I will place it in the iggy bin...
Nic M
on 6/30/11 9:37 am
I wasn't even able to eat Cheetos when I was banded. Every single solid thing made me puke for hours... with an unfilled band, even.

Once you find something that you can actually eat and keep down, it's like you latch onto it. But it's most definitely maladaptive eating and your friend really, really needs help, I mean, desperately.

I left my band in longer than what was prudent... and have a whole lot of damage. She really needs to do something to protect her health... and soon.

I hope she'll be all right.

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

(deactivated member)
on 6/30/11 10:30 am - Califreakinfornia , CA
I read this on your profile and I thought you and your friend could help each other out. I really don't care which surgery you had, I was just puzzled that someone ( you ) who was having a problem " hitting their protein goal " because they themselves are eating " diet pop and junk food " might want to attend a support group meeting with their friend who can " only drink coke and eat cheetos "

There was no need for you to assume I thought you had a band. In fact I never once looked at your surgery choice. I just found it ironic ( your post ) that's all.

on March 28, 2011 10:28 am
I know where all this got started..the first diet mtn dew  it tasted so good I started with one and now I drink them all the time..nothing tastes better that junk food with pop so here conmes the junk. I dont even think I have hit my protein goal in months. DOnt keep a food journal either. I lost my mojo and cant seem to get it back.

mary101678
on 6/30/11 11:38 am - RI
VSG on 07/10/12
You are a very good friend.
You made a wise decision for yourself, but it seems like your friend did not realize the band is not for everyone.
It's a foreign object for starters, and reacts very differently in each individual.
As I've said on other posts, my surgeon told me he removes more bands than he actually puts in.
I hope her condition improves and her health is restored.
Best,
Mary

Most Active