Veteran needs advice

Lori F.
on 7/26/11 11:11 am - Chula Vista, CA
Hi everyone. Ive been banded for four years. Never was very successful but I am trying again. The story in a nutshell:

After being unfilled for three months ( I was unfilled because I was puking every day 2-3 times but still not losing), I got a fill three weeks ago. I can eat everything except starches. I have only thrown up once. Can't figure out why. I can drink pretty quickly but I am full for 3 hours  after eating. Haven't lost an ounce at all (but haven't gained either). I've been recording EVERY bite that goes into my mouth- I run between 1400 and 1500 calories a day with a few slips for desserts in three weeks. Very complaint! Exercise is difficult due to a compression fracture in my back, but I walk a bit or swim daily (I love the pool!).

Here's the question: Should I get a fill next week as planned? I can eat about a cup of food and I'm full for awhile. I am not sliming or puking that much. But I just can't lose!

Successful bandsters, please let me know what you think!
Pre-band highest weight: 244
Pre-band surgery weight: 233
Lowest: 199 ( for, like, a day)
CW:
260 (yes, with the band!) 
Current Fill: 5cc in 10cc band
BMI: 49
cjk5
on 7/26/11 11:36 am - Cincinnati, OH
OMG lori, I was just getting ready to post on here and your post struck me so b4 I posted mineI read yours and WOW we have pretty much have the exact same story and questions (except I have gained 17 lbs during my unfill and currently getting filled up again).  I need some advice on how to get started again, it's been so long!!!!!!
tamiissunshine
on 7/26/11 1:23 pm - Halsey, OR
I know that some people can lose eating 1400-1500 calories a day, but I can not. I need to eat under 1200 to lose. I personally aim for 1000 and then if there's the occasional unplanned event it's not too horrible. I also am not a crazy exerciser though. I exercise about 3 times a week for about 30 min each time. Just a though, I could be wrong, but I think you might try reducing the calories a little each day.
Tami   "I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me!" Philippians 4:13
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lori F.
on 7/26/11 2:51 pm - Chula Vista, CA
Wow- maybe I am still eating too much. This next week, I think I will try to reduce the calories some more. What do you think about the fill, though? Thanks for responding.
CW:
tamiissunshine
on 7/27/11 1:12 am - Halsey, OR
If you find yourself hungry after reducing your calories more than usual, then I'd get a small fill.
Tami   "I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me!" Philippians 4:13
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

melly37
on 7/26/11 3:19 pm - Rio Rancho, NM
VSG on 04/03/12
Lori, I agree with Tami.  I have to keep my calories pretty low and I also exercise.  I understand that you can't, so keeping the calories and carbs low is probably the best bet.  

My advice would be to keep the band as is, for a bit.  See if you can get by with more solid protein and lower calories.  IF you start feeling hunger or find that you are really struggling keeping the calorie count low, then consider a small fill.  

We vets certainly know that the band is a VERY fickle brat.....it takes a lot of patience and tweaking to get it right.  It also helps to be as honest as you can with yourself....having a good, snug band is what a lot of us want, but it isn't always best.  

Good luck and keep us posted!

LapBand Surgery 01/10/08, Revison to Sleeve 04/03/12

Janine P.
on 7/26/11 10:56 pm - Long Island, NY
Because you're eating the correct amount and it's lasting for a good period of time, I think you should *not* get a fill.  Getting a fill is going to tamper with that throw-up mess you had going on before and more saline in your band will not make you lose weight.

Have you looked into a revision?  That's what I had to do after 3 1/2 years.  It might be time to revise.

Janine   Me on Youtube 

Lori F.
on 7/27/11 7:47 am - Chula Vista, CA
Thanks Janine. I have been looking into a DS with Dr. Keshishian. It's just taking a looong time with referrals, etc. I am so miserable that I am also trying to do something with my band- I just can't gain anymore. I'll be immobile! Thanks for chiming in!
CW:
Janine P.
on 7/27/11 10:48 am - Long Island, NY
I'm sorry you're so unhappy.  That stinks.  Dr. K is awesome.  Best of luck!

Janine   Me on Youtube 

faithgirl140
on 7/26/11 11:38 pm
I am 3 years out I have lost 65 pounds I am at 209. I want to be under 200 lbs so bad. I have done the HCG diet with injections. You only eat 500 cals a day but boy do you loose weight and inches fast. I haven't done this in a long time. You don't exercise with this. A forum for this diet is happily thinner after.com. You can get your supplies at WWW.HCGBASICS.COM This will break your stall and get you started loosing again. It's hard but you can do it. I am going to do it after summer is over. I wouldn't get another fill because you won't be able to eat meat you will be back to the mashed potatoes or anything that will go down. Good luck I feel your pain about not losing. God Bless Renea

Most Active