Life of the Band??

CindyLyn
on 9/10/11 3:51 pm - Evadale, TX

I have a friend who had Band surgery 2 yrs ago.  She is having issues with it.  Her band has slipped and her port is trying to flip.  She is going in for surgery Monday morning to either remove the band or repair the issues.  When she told him she was really disappointed that she was already having problems with it he told her that she was nearing the full life of her band.....
When I had mine done in 08 I was told that it had a 10yr life.   Does this sound correct to you?   I had to have mine removed because of  not being able to get fluids in and getting sick all the time. 

Revision from Lap Band to Gastric Sleeve.  August 16, 2011

MARIA F.
on 9/10/11 4:25 pm - Athens, GA

It may not be the "average", but unfortunately it is by all means realistic. :-(

Now when I called and spoke to the Allergan rep prior to my banding I was told directly by them it would last a lifetime. What a bunch of CRAP!

I have seen ppl get slips, erosion and esophageal dysmotility after just a month or 2. So sad. Those ppl never even had a chance with their band!

The Lap-Band is very much a crap shoot! Unfortunately I was not one of the lucky ones. My band does not work, but I am greatful that I have not had the immediate band problems like some of the other bandsters.

FormerlyFluffy.com

Jean M.
on 9/11/11 1:18 am
Revision on 08/16/12
I never heard that the band had a 2 year or 10 year life span. My surgeon told me that it was permanent and would not be removed unless I had serious medical problems because of it. I'm pretty sure that neither Allergan or Endo-Ethicon make any claims as to the life span of their adjustable gastric bands, but it would be interesting to hear what they say about it. If I were your friend, I'd give the manufacturer of my band a call. Contact numbers are:
Lap-Band - Allergan - 800-624-4261
Realize Band - Endo-Ethicon -  866-732-5493

It sure would have been nice if your friend's surgeon had warned her about this supposed 2-year band life span before he put the band in her.

Jean

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

JULIA_D
on 9/11/11 4:56 am
Ordered your book. I can't wait to get it.
NanaB.
on 9/11/11 4:04 am, edited 9/10/11 7:32 pm
I will be 7 years post op and so far, so good. I still have my original 4cc 10ml lap band and I have 2.6cc of saline in my band and it has been holding steady for about 2 years now and I really appreciate the great quality of life the band has given me, no complications, hospitalizations, and no long term illness. From what I see the band is just not a good fit for everyone, some people have trouble eating and some don't. I feel totally normal now, when I eat a work, I eat just like every one else, I thank god I don't dump, I just eat what ever I want and get full quickly, it's helping me maintain my weight loss and I really appreciate that going on 7 years post op.

I still get food stuc****asionally, I ate some Chinese food, (it's the devil by the way), at a luncheon at work recently, and it did not digest well, I will not go into the details, but as long as I stay away from sticky rice, I think that in itself will prolong the life span of my band..lol, but I honestly feel my band has passed the danger zone and I no longer fear slippage or erosion at this point, apparently it is well healed and seated properly in my body, I thank my surgeon for his skills.

I will report back in about 3 1/2 years to let you know if my band just somehow, slip, erode or explode..lol.

Edited to Add: I've never heard of a lifespan with the band either. I would guess, as long as we don't do anything that may weaken the stomach wall, such as frequent vomiting and taking NSAIDS, it should last forever. I rarely get headaches, pain or anything that requires pain meds, I guess that's the benefit of weight loss.

JULIA_D
on 9/11/11 4:55 am
I have never heard a lifespan on the band.
Most Active