Am I too tight

rpk62
on 9/26/11 11:40 pm
 I got a fill yesterday because I was beginning to be able to eat more quantitiy ,
Now I am gurgling when I drink and feeling a bit tight . Will this pass since it was just yesterday or am I too tight?
crystal M.
on 9/27/11 12:27 am - Joliet, IL
I gurgle when I drink.  I have from almost the very beginning.  The more important thing is how you feel.  I say if you can eat solid protein with no dicomfort you are fine.  Ultimately, I think you should go with your gut if you feel tight then call your doctor.  Only you know how you are feeling. 
Kim S.
on 9/27/11 12:46 am - North of Boston, MA
After a fill my doctor recommends two days of liquids and two days of mushies to let your body adjust to the new fill level.  Gurgling when you drink (sips, not gulps) is fine as long as things are going down.

Kim

Down 95+ pounds and still trucking along

libarra
on 9/27/11 8:06 am - WI
I had my first fill in over 6 months last week, I was feeling the same way from day of fill (thursday) to tuesday afternoon,,, but then things started to calm down.  I say give it a few days, and don't stress!!!! By day 6 or 7 of feeling uncomfortable call the doc.  You may only need a 1/4 cc taken out?  Don't be afraid to call the clinic.  The nurses and doctor are getting paid to know this kind of stuff and will be able to give you the best advice of all.  Good luck!
Hislady
on 9/27/11 9:10 am - Vancouver, WA
It's a little early to tell for sure but do pay close attention to it. Stay on the liquids for a day or so (I usually needed closer to a week). If it is at all difficult to get solids down do see your doc. Being too tight is not good! Good luck to you.
(deactivated member)
on 9/27/11 11:17 am - Califreakinfornia , CA
On September 27, 2011 at 6:40 AM Pacific Time, rpk62 wrote:
 I got a fill yesterday because I was beginning to be able to eat more quantitiy ,
Now I am gurgling when I drink and feeling a bit tight . Will this pass since it was just yesterday or am I too tight?
If it sounds like water circling the drain..... it's like too much volume going through a small funnel, YES you're too tight, but it may loosen up soon.

Don't wait too long if you feel you need to have your fill adjusted. Like a previous poster already stated. My doctor had me on liquids for 24 hours before I was able to move onto mushies.

You should be able to fully swallow liquids before moving onto mushies. This means that any liquids you swallow do not remain above your band, it also means that you can feel the liquids flow smoothly through your esophagus pass the band and into your stomach. If you feel the liquids " pause " then don't advance to mushies.

If you are still too tight tomorrow then call and speak with your surgeon.
Iam_with_the_Band
on 9/27/11 3:38 pm
I have always gurgled too!  So I don't think that is a problem.  Vomiting. sliming, or reflux issues i.e. night coughing - is more of a concern for me.  I've never been "overfilled or too tight" - I see a big difference in my restriction with as little as 0.2ml.  I actually got 0.15ml last week and it made a huge difference!

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

NanaB.
on 9/27/11 11:17 pm
Fills usually don't settle in to about 2 weeks, but most people can tell if they are too tight within 5 days after a fill, most surgeons recommend to come back if you are not able to eat solid protein without vomiting.

Fills are not an exact science, and sometimes it takes going back and forth to get it about right, even with the sweet spot, there will be days when you will feel looser or tighter, you will have to learn to adapt to your varying restriction and modify your food accordingly. It should not hurt to eat, nor should you have repeated vomiting after a recent adjustment, also your surgeon should have a chart on the ideal restriction levels for you determine how you are feeling.

SANDI H.
on 9/28/11 9:17 am - Ventura, CA
It's not unusual to feel tight right after a fill. My doc recommends a progressions from liquids only to soft to solids as each is tolerated. If you are able to get your protein in and keep it down give it a few days, but if you can not get liquids down, or are having trouble keeping them down call the doc right away as you may be a bit too tight. You should to be able to drink comfortably while any swelling or irritation caused by the fill subsides. Check out what the folks who make the band have to say about fills- pay special attention to the red zone www.bandedliving.com/public/Lap_Band_Fills__The_Green_Zone.c fm
Most Active