pre op diet

finchy
on 10/24/11 1:46 am - IL
hello,

i'm going to keep digging here because i'm sure it's been discussed, but i'm wondering what your doc's pre-op diet is.  mine said two weeks of  lean protein with fruits and veggies (no potatoes or corn) and then three days of clear liquids.  this is for corrective surgery... and i feel like this is different than my last pre-op diet.  that was several years ago, so i can't remember.  anyway, i'm just curious what other docs are asking of their patients. :)
Highest Ever *Surgery* Current * Goal
            289 *281.6 *249* 170

Karebear79
on 10/24/11 1:49 am
My pre-op diet was 3-4 protein shakes a day and 3-4oz lean meat and veggies for dinner.  And then the day before surgery was strictly liquids. (it was 2 weeks long)

~Karen~

6cc's in a 10cc band
finchy
on 10/24/11 2:02 am - IL
thanks... i felt like two weeks was really long, but maybe not.
thiknena19
on 10/24/11 4:58 am - bronx, NY
my pre-op was 5 days of clear liquids and 3 protein shakes a day ;0 i know it sucked!!!!

finchy
on 10/24/11 12:51 pm - IL
thanks!  it's so interesting how they are all different.  i remember that from last time, and i remember following someone else's liver shrinking diet last time... my doc never knew the difference.  i feel like back then, she may have even requested 5 days of clear liquids... i remember it was insane and i knew i needed a different option.  she said that my liver had shrunk, so eating all protein for a week did the trick.
Bttrfly613
on 10/24/11 11:10 am
I did not have any required pre-op diet.

It was SUGGESTED (but not required) I go to clear liquids the day before and take a does of Mag Citrate to "clean me out" at 3pm the day before surgery...

midnight the night before-surgery was no food.

LM
Highest Measured Weight-361 Weight Pre-Op Appt (10.12.11)-304 Surgery Date 10.18.11  
finchy
on 10/24/11 12:55 pm - IL
lucky!  again, so interesting how they all are different.  i vote for your doc's diet!  however, i do like the jump start at weight loss pre-surgery.  my surgeon said it is for my safety... to remove as much as possible from the tract so that if there is a nic during surgery, infection is minimized.  also, to shrink the liver.  then again, no one talked to me about it after surgery... hard to know who does it and who doesn't and how necessary it all is.  there is a blurb on my info about it showing your willingess to commit to changing your eating habits pre-wls.  i'm just so bummed i have to go through all of this again.  i've been through this once, and that was enough.  hoping for the best.
Iam_with_the_Band
on 10/24/11 7:46 pm
I had 14 days of protein only - no carbs!  No calorie or fat restriction.  I lost 17lbs.
A true Liver Shrinking Diet really just limits the carbs.  It's the carbs that send the glycogen to the Liver and makes it swell.  Without the carbs, the Liver will shrink and be great for surgery.  My doctor said he realized how difficult these other diets are for his patients to follow and we've been dieting our entire lives.  A No carb diet isn't that hard to follow, you lose weight pretty fast and then you are not in such weakened physical condition for surgery.  I remember one person on here had to drink one protein shake, eat sf jello, black coffee.  She was passing out by the 2nd day.  Poor Girl - sometimes, I wonder if the pre-op diet is just to torture the obese patient - "If you really want this surgery  you will stick to this insane diet!"  It makes the patient feel bad about themselves if they can't do it and seriously some of these diets are so unhealthy.

Just my 2 cents!

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

finchy
on 10/25/11 4:04 am - IL
thanks!  i like your 2 cents.  couldn't agree more.  interesting that it isn't the fat count for reducing a fatty liver... i was thinking it included fat restriction.  i love this forum for exactly this reason.  such a great resource.
Iam_with_the_Band
on 10/25/11 2:28 pm
Not all obese have "fatty liver disease" - it's a disease caused by several things and it does sometimes happen to obese people and alcoholics.  Most obese just have larger livers - which make band placement difficult.  A true diagnosis of "fatty liver disease" would cause a doctor to wait on placing the band - whereas someone who is just obese can shrink their enlarged liver by not eating carbs.  Does that make sense?  So "fatty liver" is a disease process that can lead to cancer and death - Just being obese is not a cause.  Obese individuals don't always have "fatty livers" -
hope that makes sense...

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

Most Active