this may be a "beginner's" question..

Evelyn M.
on 11/6/11 4:59 am - United Kingdom
 ...but when do you know if you are too tight? I did not have real restriction, so I had another fill a few days ago and have now 5.5 in my 10ml band. I was pleased to have restriction, but it hurts me when I eat- but only during eating I have hurtburn and the food doesn't get really stuck, but it doesn't go through immediately. Now, is it too tight? Are my bites too big? I have never had restriction, so I am not sure if this is how it's supposed to be and I am maybe just taking too big bites? Please can you guys advise me?

Thanks
Evelyn
Roll on weight loss!

Bette B.
on 11/6/11 5:41 am
 It should hurt some when you OVEReat, but not when you eat. Take smalls bites (some recommend the size of a pea or pencil eraser), chew very carefully and thoroughly, wait a minute or so after each bite.

Food is supposed to stay in your pouch, to keep you feeling full, but not so full that it hurts.

If you're doing everything right and still feel like something is wrong, call your doc tomorrow and see if you can get a little of that fill removed.

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

camietam
on 11/6/11 6:17 am - Ceres , CA
If your fill was a few days ago keep to soft foods and soups. Are you taking any medication for the heartburn? I take prescription prilosec, but you need to get this from your doctor. I have also drank ho****er to dissolve the food to make it easier to eat. You will in time learn how much to eat and to recognize the signs to stop.
Camie

Thundergrrrl
on 11/6/11 11:17 am
Make sure you really are taking tiny bites and eating slowly. But if that isn't solving the problem, and if the heartburn is a recent development, I'd say you may be too tight.  How big of a fill did you get? Is it possible for them to remove only a tiny bit from what they put in? Sometimes it's a real balancing act. Much better to be on the looser side than the tighter one though if you can't find the perfect place. Being too tight will not help weight loss in the long run.

Highest Wt: 274 / LAP-Band Low: 180 / Sleeved at 233 / Goal: 160!

Kate -True Brit
on 11/6/11 4:51 pm - UK
 Heartburn and pain... Sounds a bit tight!

Give it a few days of extra careful eating. Tiny bites, well chewed, no known problem foods.

Then if it is still hurting, get it checked out. Can't remember if you are NHS or not, but you should  still be in your aftercare package if not! So whichever it us, a quick e mail or phone call never hurts! Oh, do I remember Kensington and Chelsea and lousy aftercare?? Try anyway!

Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Iam_with_the_Band
on 11/6/11 6:46 pm
I wouild say that if it hurts when you eat, you're too tight.  It really shouldn't hurt when you eat and if you have heartburn that is also a sign of being too tight (if this is a new occurance)  Try what everyone else says, "eat smaller bites - the size of a pea or pencil eraser, chew 30 times, if it's still hurting call your doctor."  Don't drink with your meals it just causes you to fill your upper pouch too full and you will have more reflux issues.  Try to not eat or drink at least 4 hours before bedtime - until they can figure out if you're too tight or not.  Being too tight over time will cause issues with your upper stomach and other serious problems. 

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

Lisa O.
on 11/7/11 1:10 am - Snoqualmie, WA
You may be having heartburn from your food choices if it's happening while you eat and not afterwards.  I have developed a sensitivity to acidic foods like tomato based sauces and salsa as well as chocolate and caffeine.  If you've irritated your esophagus in anyway then it could be the type of foods you're eating.

Pain?  Slow down, chew everything 20-30 times.  If you're still having pain you may be too tight. 

You could also be experiencing first bite syndrome.  For me, this often happens when I take a first bite.  After that bite has passed I'm fine.  It seems that sometimes I have to loosen up my mechanism.  I often drink a warm beverage before I eat which seems to help.

Take care and keep us posted.

Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

Evelyn M.
on 11/7/11 3:32 am - United Kingdom
 Thanks Lisa!! First bite syndrom, interesting! I just had dinner and had the same symptoms the first 4-5 bites, afterwards it's fine, and it is actually with all the meals like that. I think I really need to get used to eat slow and eat supersmall bites- since I never had restriction (except for the mornings), I didn't have problems with eating big bites. Well, it's all a learning process, isn't it? :) Many thanks Lisa and everybody!
Roll on weight loss!

Lisa O.
on 11/7/11 4:14 am - Snoqualmie, WA
Just keep in mind that first bite syndrome should not cause heartburn.  That's something totally different and shouldn't be ignored.  If you are getting heartburn more than on the rare occasion that's something to be brought up with your dr.  I take daily Omexeprole, but once I had my Hiatal Hernia repaired during my LB surgery I didn't have heart burn untill 2 years post op.

Take care!

Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

Most Active