'Fess up! Do you really take that small of a bite?

Thundergrrrl
on 11/8/11 1:06 am
I have a confession to make. I rarely ever take bites of food the size of a pencil eraser.

A bite for me tends to be the size of an almond. But what I do (sorry in advance if this is gross) is chew really really well, probably more than necessary, and swallow the bite in smaller incriments instead of all at once. I also find I eat very slowly and naturally pause for several minutes between bites. I don't even think about how long it takes me to eat (usually a pretty long time!) and I enjoy doing other things while I'm eating like reading or computing so that I have plenty to occupy myself during the pauses between bites. This is just kind of the way I've always done it and I've never had issues with being stuck or PBing except on very specific things like tough meat and overly-fiberous fruits back when my band was a fraction tighter.

So, of course, I wonder if I'm "doing it all wrong" lol ;)

Actually just curious if anyone else eats differently than the extremely tiny bite rule and finds it works for them.

Highest Wt: 274 / LAP-Band Low: 180 / Sleeved at 233 / Goal: 160!

Kate -True Brit
on 11/8/11 1:58 am - UK
 I take normal bite sized bites! And just like you , chew and then swallow small parts at a time. And I don't eat slowly either!

BUT - and  it is a very big BUT - i have had my band for five and a half years. I know it!  I was more careful at first.

Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Lisa O.
on 11/8/11 2:04 am - Snoqualmie, WA
I struggle with taking small bites and eating too fast.  AND I often pay the price.  When I eat too fast or don't chew enough the food stacks up in my esophagus and causes pain or comes back up.  It's not a healthy choice so I have to be very mindful when I eat.  I try to not eat while distracted because I'll revert back to these bad habits.  I also focus on asking questions and listening vs. doing all the talking while eating with other people because it allows me to put my fork down between bites.  Sometimes I literally sit on my hands until I'm done chewing!
I'm sure you know that all of the "experts" discourage eating while distracted, i.e. watching t.v., being on the computer, reading, etc.  But hey!  It certainly has worked for you.  I find it impossible to sit at a table and eat when I'm a lone but my DH and I try to eat dinner at the table without the t.v. on.  It sure is hard though!  You know, then we have to actually have conversation!

I guess if we just try to keep these basic bandster, healthy eating rules in our mind then we can continue to strive for progress.  But, we'll never be perfect so don't beat yourself up, kiddo!

Best~
Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

Thundergrrrl
on 11/8/11 2:10 am
I know it's counter to everything "they" recommend but if I don't multitask while I eat I tend to eat too fast due to wanting to get it over with and move on to something else. I also do well eating in the car since I have an hour commute and can mak my breakfast last that long if I want to.  As long as I'm eating with others who I can talk to, reading, watching tv, using the computer, etc. I am more interested in the other activity and eat very slowly. Guess I'm just strange but no, not beating myself up over it ;)  The point is to eat slowly and feel satisfied and how we get there doesn't matter all that much (to me.)

MARIA F.
on 11/8/11 2:06 am - Athens, GA

Oh I've never taken bites that small. I take regular size bites, but I chew it very well. I've seen a lot of WLS'ers eat and I've never seen anyone take bites that small.

FormerlyFluffy.com

Thundergrrrl
on 11/8/11 2:12 am
I know a few people many years out from RNY but otherwise don't socialize with WLSers so I really had no idea if everyone but me is eating things that qualify more as atomic particles than bites. Glad I'm not the only one, even though I am of the "it works for me" mentality.

harmony9975
on 11/8/11 2:12 am
My bites are bigger than an eraser---but still MUCH smaller than they used to be and I eat very slowly and chew well.  I think the eraser thing was to train us. 
Thundergrrrl
on 11/8/11 2:13 am
You're probably right. If they told us to take bites the size of an almond we'd double that, bites the size of a grape tomato, we'd double that. At least when we try to keep the eraser size in mind the bites don't jump too drastically.

Kitty C
on 11/8/11 2:30 am
Tooty
on 11/8/11 2:31 am - Germantown, TN
I take regular sized bites and chew well.  There are days I eat too fast and forget to chew well and I end up paying for it.  I try and get my mind focused when I eat, but it doesn't always happen..lol.
Cathlena - 39, 4'11"   Start - 210  3/31/09    BMI  Start: 42.4    
 LilySlim - (OdX3)
Most Active