Band removed due to erosion- but no symptoms typical of erosion

P goode
on 12/2/11 3:54 am - Arlington, TX
VSG on 05/11/16

I want to tell you all my story.  I do not want to scare anyone, but at the same time, this needs to be told.  My lap band slipped and eroded all the way through at some point, and I did not have reflux, vomiting, nausea, or pain, or infection, only loss of restriction.  The symptoms I eventually had were mild shortness of breath after meals, and palpitations.  They continued to get worse and my internist sent me back to my surgeon who I had not seen in nearly 2 years( because I had put on 35 pounds). I maintained that weight for a year but still....  the last time I had seen him in 12/09 I told him that fills weren't working anymore and I had no restriction,but he did not do an upper gi because we had done one after I had been pregnant and it was unremarkable about 18 months prior to that and since I did not have the other symptoms of a slip/erosion.  I had surgery Monday and he was going to convert to GSV but the damage was too bad.  Now I have to heal for another 4-6 months before we can consider anything... I just want everyone to know it is possible for this to happen....

Done! Your Ticker:

"Long ago in a galaxy far away"- WT-325. Lap band WT-287. Sleeve WT- 220, SW- 215, CW-144

Kate -True Brit
on 12/2/11 4:01 am - UK
 I am so sorry this happened to you. I believe it is quite common for erosion to be asymptomatic.

I am glad they have ( eventually!) sorted it out for you and wish you all the best for whatever you choose to do next.

Thank you for sharing your story.

Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

NanaB.
on 12/2/11 4:03 am
I am very sorry to hear that, and I wish you a speedy recovery. It's good that you are sharing your story and what happened to you, I've heard that the most classic symptom of band erosion is total loss of restriction. Again, I am sorry this happened to you and hopefully you can heal and convert to another surgery.
 Are you overall Happy with your Band and want a postive environment to stay on track? Join us and become a member of our Happy Lap Band Group Keep it bookmarked! http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Happy_Successful_Banders/ 

twoxover
on 12/2/11 4:40 am - waterford, NJ
i'm so sorry this happened to you.  i hope you heal very quickly.

(and thank you for sharing)

betsey
Betsey

Nic M
on 12/2/11 4:58 am
Hi! I remember you. I'm so sorry to hear this bad news. I really feel for you.  I, too, had too much damage from the band to be able to revise.  I hope you heal well and can revise, if you opt to do that.

Wishing you the best.

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

MARIA F.
on 12/2/11 8:56 am - Athens, GA

Thanks for posting. So many ppl on here think they are immune to all the band complications that occur.

I have seen so many posters on this Lap-Band forum that constantly defend the band and some go so far as to blame the bandsters when there is a problem with the BAND. Then when THEY start having band issues...........they go  to the revision forum and won't post on the band forum anymore. Or sometimes they stay on the band forum but change their screen names b/c they think you won't know who they are. They do other bandsters or prospective bandsters such a disservice by doing that, b/c they are causing a false sense of security of how safe and effective the band really is. :-(

I appreciate you honesty in coming to the band forum letting others know what can happen with the band! Even after making it to that 5 year mark with the band..........things can still go wrong.

Best of luck to you!

FormerlyFluffy.com

Sally L.
on 12/2/11 10:16 am
So sorry, P, for your trouble.  I just recently found out that I have a slipped band too.  My doc said I may not need to get it out since I am not having any symptoms like vomitting or dehydration.  My symptom, and my weight regain is almost identical to yours.  I don't think I have an eroded band, though.  I have noticed one thing though, and wonder if it is normal or not.

When they told me I had a slip about 2 weeks ago, they took some more fluid out of the band.  I have 3.3 cc's, I think.  Anyway, I have been very constipated.  I had to really strain to have a bm, and there was some blood in it.  I feel some soreness around the port area from all the straining as well.  I almost feel as if my stomach is swelling, but maybe it is in my head? 

I plan on going ahead and getting the band out eventually, thanks for the advice of someone who has "been there and done that."  She told me complications that could result in an ER trip are almost inevitable. 

Let me know, P, if any of this sounds familiar.  Best wishes to you. I wish you well.
SALLY - banded May 9, 2007 Check out my new fun fall photos!

2011Mommy
on 12/2/11 2:29 pm
 How did they know the band eroded? I've had a band for almost 6 years and currently have no restriction even though I got 6cc last fill (which used to be too tight).. a few years ago I would not have been able to eat with 6cc but right now I can eat the same foods and the same amount that I did when I was not filled at all. It's very frustrating to say the least.
P goode
on 12/4/11 5:35 am - Arlington, TX
VSG on 05/11/16
he ordered an upper gi.. the radiologist is the one who saw it.  My surgeon only saw the slip.  He really thought that He would be able to to the conversion.  You should insist on an upper gi sieries so at least you would know.  My fills quit working as well.  My sweet spot was 1.3 cc (4ccband) forever, then all of a sudden, we kept filling and filling and ended up with 3cc and it was not working. THAT is when he should have ordered it.  Since I had no other sympotoms and no signs of infection, he had no idea.  Scary.

Done! Your Ticker:

"Long ago in a galaxy far away"- WT-325. Lap band WT-287. Sleeve WT- 220, SW- 215, CW-144

karen C.
on 12/2/11 8:42 pm
I lost my band to erosion in October. I only had it about two years. Although erosion usually presents with total loss of restriction, I actually had pain under my sternum every time I took a deep breath. I was shocked when I found out I had erosion.  I didn't qualify for any kind of revision because I am no longer obese (BMI about 27).
My heart goes out to you.  It is so devastating. For about a month after my band came out I had depression and anxiety attacks. It really is a grieving process. At first I was so angry because I had followed all the bandster rules and felt I didn't deserve to have this happen to me. Then I went through a period where I obsessed about every bite of food I put in my mouth to the point of panic.
I feel better about it now. I have maintained my weight (I'm on the scale everyday!) by continuing to eat as I did when I had the band but adding a lot of vegetables. Surprisingly, I haven't been that hungry. I also exercise a lot. I have been seeing a therapist to try to address the issues surrounding my eating. I still don't have much confidence that I can maintain in the long run.
I loved my band and it worked well for me, but I can't help thinking that if I had gotten the sleeve, it couldn't have been taken away from me.
If you are able to get a revision, think very carefully about which surgery you have. Did restriction alone work well for you? Do you think some degree of malabsorption would help?
Good luck. Again, my heart goes out to you.
karen c
liquid diet 5/8/09
lap band 5/22/09
first fill 6/17/09 2cc
removed 10/6/11 due to erosion

Most Active