Haven't visited in 3 years, band slipped, but in ONE-derland anyway

bigred_z
on 12/26/11 5:41 pm - Independence, KY
VSG on 11/16/12
My band slipped earlier this year and I was completely unfilled.  So of course I was concerned about wt gain.  But I made another change.  I went organic!  Went from 220lbs to about 185 lbs.  The holiday has me back up to 195 about now, but I will get back on the wagon.  Just thought I'd check in.  Hope everyone had a fabulous holiday.

Lori

Lori RN, MS     Band 2/9/07 265lbs    Removed 4/13/12@ 185lbs (slip&erosion) Sleeve 11/16/12@ 225lbs  If I could get as excited about exercise as I am about a Big Mac...Now in ONEderland!!  197.4

Vivian Prouty
on 12/26/11 9:31 pm - Fort Worth, TX
 Hi Lori,

Are they going to remove your  band?   Congrats on your weight loss.    I know that aftert the holidays you WILL get back on track along with the rest of us.    Hope 2012 brings you lots of joy and success.

Hugs and blessings ~~~ Vivian

GOD GRANT ME THE SERENITY TO ACCEPT THE THINGS I CAN NOT CHANGE;   COURAGE TO CHANGE THE THINGS THAT I CAN;  AND THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE !!!!    THIS IS MY DAILY PRAYER.
Vivian Prouty      Obesity Help Support Group Coach  "LOSE IT 4 LIFE"

iwilltry
on 12/27/11 4:01 am
Hi, had a lap band placed 5 years ago.  Loved it in the beginning, but now I really would like to get it removed, not just opened to the max.  Has anyone known anyone that has gone thru this?
S. smith
on 12/27/11 5:16 am
Jean M.
on 12/27/11 6:22 am
Revision on 08/16/12
A band slip doesn't always require further surgery for repair or removal. My band slip was treated by a complete unfill and 6 week rest period. My surgeon and I think that my untreated hiatal hernia (which my original surgeon failed to repair during my band placement) probably contributed to my band slip, but when I asked if I should have the hernia repaired to prevent a future slip, my surgeon said no, there's no reason to assume that a 2nd slip will occur. If it does, I'll insist on repairing the hernia.

Jean

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

MARIA F.
on 12/28/11 9:52 am - Athens, GA
On December 27, 2011 at 1:16 PM Pacific Time, lesley S. wrote:
i'm surprised your surgeon didn't make you get it fixed(revised or removed) - I'm curious how that happened

Lesley slips are extremely common! Sometimes an unfill resolves it. Apparently she just never got the saline replaced after that and is flying on her own. Too bad she had WLS and now has to rely on diet ALONE for weight loss though! :-(

FormerlyFluffy.com

bigred_z
on 12/28/11 9:53 am - Independence, KY
VSG on 11/16/12
Yes, the doc wanted to do the whole resting period and reassess.  I'm waiting till after Jan 1 d/t insurance reasons.  So there is more to come.  Just not sure what it will be.  Also, if I can maintain the weight loss I've had thru diet in a long term manner, my reliance on the band will be less and removal (if it's necessary) won't be so scary and overwhelming. 

Been looking at info on the sleeve, but wow that seems drastic. 

Lori RN, MS     Band 2/9/07 265lbs    Removed 4/13/12@ 185lbs (slip&erosion) Sleeve 11/16/12@ 225lbs  If I could get as excited about exercise as I am about a Big Mac...Now in ONEderland!!  197.4

Most Active