Help band erosion??? picc line antibotic :-(

WannaSew
on 1/2/12 10:14 am - Dandridge, TN
I am looking for info... I was recently told that my band has eroded...I go back to the Surgeon on Thurs...

they are fighting with the Insurance to see if they can just do this all at one time either RnY ..or to the sleeve..the currant surgeon just feels that if she has to go in "open" that she didn't want to  have to go back in at a later date to do the revision...I am at this time fighting a staff infection with a picc line and iv antibotic..

this past year has been bad..and I believe the  surgeon (not Dr. H.) here may have  dropped the ball...I was 5.5 yrs out...no problems,
I  developed a leak.. port replaced, weeks of wound care,  port removed, 7 months of wound care.. 2nd port put in, (different doc and hosp.) same trouble..did EDG ..found erosion, picc line with Cubisin...
their has been staff inection in there since the first port replacement, they said that it was every day staff...put on 10 days of antibiotic...never re-tested until recently... 
finally up to date..waiting to find out what is next...just wanting to know what you thought....any info would help, I am just so tired of this (has now gone on for nearly a year)

I guess I just wanted to let you know what is going on.

Thanks in advance, Debbi
Blessings...Debbi

Lapband .. May 2005 .. Starting weight 311.6
Revision surgery Jan 2012 .. RNY .. 231
Currant weight 168

Nic M
on 1/2/12 12:54 pm
Hi,

Sorry to hear you're going through so much, Debbi.

Boy, I would think if you have a staph infection, surgery would be a dangerous endeavor, not to mention a revision surgery.

Also, if your band has eroded into your stomach, it's going to need time to heal properly, from what I've always heard. I think you'd be better off getting the band removed, taking time to heal from the erosion and the staph infection and then revising at a later date, if possible. It's been over 6 years since I had my band removed and I still have considerable damage from it. Hopefully you will have better luck than I have.

Hope you heal well. Take care.

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

azunruly
on 1/3/12 7:26 am - Hot as Hell, AZ
What happened to your band that you had to have it removed? I'm 4 years out and have had no problems with my band. Just wondering.
Nic M
on 1/3/12 7:47 am
To make a long story... well, not as long... there's no way to really make it short!

I chose a horrible surgeon, he damaged my diaphragm while placing the band (incorrectly,) causing extremely severe referred left shoulder pain. Stomach twisted into a Figure 8, I was unable to eat solid foods for 2 years, had multiple corrective surgeries, did tons of chronic pain treatments to no avail, lost my job, went into debt, and finally, band removal. It's been over 6 years and I'm still damaged!

There's a whole lot more involved, but that's the condensed version.

I'm very glad you've had no problems with your band. I wish you continued success.

Nicci

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

Kate -True Brit
on 1/2/12 4:47 pm - UK
 Debbi, so sorry this has happened to you. No advice or experience to share! Just wanted to send a big e hug!

Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

spuddzy
on 1/2/12 11:17 pm - NY
what causes erosion?
Kate -True Brit
on 1/3/12 12:03 am - UK
 Spuddzy, not sure! Don't think anyone really is! In some cases it could be an overtight band for too long, but equally may just be one of those things. It is one of the most serious complications we can have but luckily is also one of the least common.

Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Dev *.
on 1/3/12 4:53 am - Austin, TX
On of the theories is that, when you get an infection at the port site, the infection can travel up to the tubing and begin affecting the area where the band sits. This may have been what happened in this instance, as she had a lot of trouble following her port replacement.

Banded 03/22/06  276/261/184 (highest/surgery/lowest)

Sleeved 07/11/2013  228/165 (surgery/current) (111lbs lost)

Mom to two of the cutest boys on earth.

sesmith
on 1/2/12 6:49 pm
 I am so sorry, esp when you write that you love your band. I would think it all has to come out. You will probably heal quickly after that. Keep us posted
looking4hope
on 1/3/12 12:42 pm
I am so sorry that you are going through this. I pray you have a speedy recovery. I agree that you should think about healing and then revising.
Highest 317 6/1 start pre-op diet312 6/15 2 days before surgery303 6/22 5 days post-op296  6/28 11 days post-op  290 7/5 18 days post-op 288 8/19 10 weeks post-op 278 9/10 274 11/6 268 2/18 257 3/26 249 5/14 237

Most Active