4 days post op with trouble getting liquids down

tferguson77
on 1/2/12 9:43 pm - horse cave, KY
I am 4 days post-op with lap-band and having a terrible time getting the recommended daily amounts of fluids and protein down.  The pressure (gas pain?) is horrible anytime I take a drink of anything.  Gas-x, walking, pain meds, and a heat pad provide only minimal improvement.  The most I've been able to do is 2 muscle milk lights (15 grams protein each, 11 oz each, and 100 cals each), about 4-5 oz of water, and about 3-4 oz of apple juice in one day.  This is still barely over 200 cals, 30 grams of protein, and under 30 mls of fluid for the day.  Needless to say, I seem to be feeling more tired, weak, shaky, foggy headed, and just worse in general as the days go on which I'm sure is primarily due to such low caloric and protein intake and dehydration.  Has anyone else had this problem and if so, what worked for you?
thindownunder01
on 1/3/12 2:26 am - Kingwood, TX
I had a hard time too. I think you should just sip what you can and not worry about what is reccomended. Also, try sipping your fluids at room temp or warmer, the temperature thing gave me a hard time. Warm chicken broth worked well for me. I think the pain meds make the gas pains linger a little longer, so if you can back off some of the pain meds and down to liquid tylenol that will help too. Anytime I was uncomfortable I would walk in circles in my living room.

My doctors advice was to try to not lay completely down for long periods of time..something about letting gravity help with the gas, so whenever possible prop yourself up on the couch or something and for every 5 minutes sitting or laying walk for 2.

I would also try to get as much clear liquids in as possible... so just sip sip sip..

You will start to feel normal very soon. I had my surgery on a Monday... stayed home tuesday and wednesday and went to work for a half day thursday and full day friday.. by Friday I was starting to feel like myself again. (I have a desk job)

I hope you start to feel better.. and remember, this is very temporary and you will feel "ON TOP OF THE WORLD" in no time. :) Happy Healing
tferguson77
on 1/3/12 7:30 am - horse cave, KY
Thanks for all the tips.  I will put them to good use.  Thanks for the words of encouragement as well.  I really appreciate you guys :-)
-Mari-
on 1/3/12 6:42 am
I agree, it's too early out to be worrying about calories, etc. Just take in what you can, if it's a tablespoon of broth than that is OK, it will get easier after about a week or so. Do your best not to get dehydrated, sip as much as you can. You need to be trying to heal and take it easy, the gas is the worst, I used a heating pad for the shoulder gas pains. Give you Dr's office a call for reassurance and guidance. Welcome to the losers bench and let us know how you are doing.
 Mari  Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels!
tferguson77
on 1/3/12 8:14 am - horse cave, KY
Thanks so much for the reply and the encouragement!  I called my Dr. today and they recommended coming in.  He said they put some fluid in the band during the surgery as primer and it sounded as if I was too tight.  He withdrew 1.5 cc and I am starting to feel a little better.  It is easier to get small drinks of water and clear liquids down and the pressure/pain has decreased as well.  Thanks again!
Bexie
on 1/3/12 8:42 am, edited 1/3/12 8:42 am - MO
I had serious problems drinking, would burp up foam every time I tried. I had my band removed after less than 2 weeks because I wasn't getting any better. They even put an NG tube down so I could force water into my stomach.
Ready For A Change
Most Active