Need to get back on track

stephp77
on 1/4/12 1:45 pm - Sioux Falls, SD
First off, hello again. I used to be on the boards a couple years ago and then for whatever reason I stopped.

A (hopefully) quick story about my journey. In November 2007 I had my lapband done in Omaha, NE. I did well after surgery. I can't remember what my weight loss at that time though. I believe it was the middle of 2008 my surgeon left Omaha and moved to another state. I stayed with the same office as there was another surgeon there that took over my surgeon's patients. Unfortunately the 2 or 3 times I went to see that doctor they were soooo backed up that everyone had to weight 2-3 hours for their appointments, with no notice they were running behind I might add. I became fed up and started to see a different surgeon through another hospital system in town. I liked the guy but unfortunately my insurance stopped coverage for anything related to weight loss. I couldn't afford the (in my opinion) expensive doctor visits, let alone the fills. I had to stop going. At that time I had probably lost about 50 pounds. Fast forward to 2010 and I lost my insurance all together with a job loss. In 2010 and 2011 I went through a lot of issues with family and depression from that stuff and I gained the whole 50 pounds back. In late 2011 I moved to Sioux Falls, SD after I left my husband back to where I grew up and still had family. I have a good job now with supposedly good benefits. I have started to see a family physician again, who did refer me to a bariatric doctor here. After giving them copies of my records they did decide they would see me although they want me to have an upper GI first. Both of these are scheduled for later in January.

I will admit that I am nervous about both the upper GI and seeing someone again for this. While I have lost 30 pounds since I moved back here I can't help but wonder what the doctor will say...will I be deemed a failure? Will the band still be in place? What happens if it isn't in place? I don't really know what the upper GI is or what it will entail.

I do know that I need to get this figured out. I know this was a big deal when I had the surgery to begin with and for the reasons I had it. I also know that some of my own personal health reasons haven't improved and in some cases are worse with this lack of treatment.

Ok I guess that wasn't a quick version...lol...sorry.

Steph

Stephanie
Sioux Falls, SD

Height:  5'5.5"; Beginning weight 253
Educational seminar - 09/05/07; First consult - 09/17/07; Insurance rec'd submission - 10/01/07; Insurance approved - 10/05/07; Surgery - 11/21/07 (253 pounds of the morning of surgery); Mini goal met of down to 225 - 12/23/07.

Vivian Prouty
on 1/4/12 8:43 pm - Fort Worth, TX
 Hi Stephanie,

Glad you came back to OH.    I assume that the doctor wants the Upper GI to make sure that everything is as it should be before he starts to give you a new fill in your band.    I am not a lapband patient so I am uncertain about that.     Congratulations on your decision to get your life back on track and regain control of your weight.    Stress can really do a number on you no matter what WLS you have done.    I do know that ALL the weight loss surgeries work and that you just have to use the "tools" the way they were designed.   I am sure the new doctor will be fine since he was referred by a doctor that you trust.     I hope that your band is still in tact and you have no issues with that so you can get back on the "band wagon" so to speak.   Have a wonderful day and welcome back to OH and the lap band board.    

Hugs and blessings ~~~ Vivian

GOD GRANT ME THE SERENITY TO ACCEPT THE THINGS I CAN NOT CHANGE;   COURAGE TO CHANGE THE THINGS THAT I CAN;  AND THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE !!!!    THIS IS MY DAILY PRAYER.
Vivian Prouty      Obesity Help Support Group Coach  "LOSE IT 4 LIFE"

wsmommy
on 1/4/12 8:48 pm
 Hi Steph,

I do't have the exact same journey as you, but pretty close.  I still don't have any coverage and my hubby has no job at the moment so seeing anyone is out of the question.  I am back at square one with 50 of my 70 lost back.  :(

I know you are nervous, but you are doing the right things to get back on track.  Sending you tons of well wishes for more success!

Toni

cheynne03
on 1/4/12 9:49 pm - West Monroe, LA
Does'nt matter what the doctor thinks.  You have made the right decision to take control of your life again.  Life took control of you for a while and you are regaining control.  Good for you.  Go to the doctors with your head held high.  I doubt unless you have had some indicators that there is a problem with your band. 

This is your do over.  JUST DO IT!

Theresa

S 254/C168/G150   
          "Patience is the companion of wisdom."  St. Augustine

Janine P.
on 1/5/12 2:53 am - Long Island, NY
Hi Steph
I'll work backward.

Upper GI - sooo easy.  They make you drink barium in front of an X-ray type machine and watch the barium go down your esophogus and stomach.  That's it.  Super easy.

You're only deemed a failure if you give up at weight loss altogether.  You obviously haven't done that and are working toward it.  You are far from a failure.

Best of luck!!!

Janine   Me on Youtube 

stephp77
on 1/5/12 12:46 pm - Sioux Falls, SD
Thanks everyone for the support. I guess we'll see what happens with those appointments.

Stephanie
Sioux Falls, SD

Height:  5'5.5"; Beginning weight 253
Educational seminar - 09/05/07; First consult - 09/17/07; Insurance rec'd submission - 10/01/07; Insurance approved - 10/05/07; Surgery - 11/21/07 (253 pounds of the morning of surgery); Mini goal met of down to 225 - 12/23/07.

Most Active