Realize Band.

Mrsdwhite
on 1/8/12 1:17 am
On Jan.24th I will be getting the realize band because thats what my dr does.  I would love to hear  from others about their success with the realize band and is there a big difference between the two bands.  Thank you in advance.
percycat11
on 1/8/12 2:30 am - Madison, WI
Congratulations on your surgery date.  I got the realize band on Jan.22, 2010.  I am pleased with the results.  When I started my journey, I weighed 275 and now I am 175.  I have chronic kidney disease and I believe that had I not lost the weight, I would be on dialysis today.  The band is merely a tool.
The challenge is mostly mental.  I do not think that there is much difference between the realize band and the lap band.  You should simply celebrate that you were approved for the realize band,

Best of luck, Elizabeth
Mrsdwhite
on 1/8/12 2:33 am
Mrsdwhite
on 1/8/12 2:35 am
Your weight loss is amazing.  Thank you for responding I'm excited and nervous and can't wait to live a healthier life.
crystal M.
on 1/8/12 2:48 am, edited 1/8/12 2:49 am - Joliet, IL
Hello there

I got my Realize Band in March 2009.  I started at 354 and I am now 202...I can't seem to get those 50 lbs off but I am extremely pleased with my 150+ weight loss.  I started at a size 30 and now wear a size 16.  My BMI was 54 now it's 29.  I am off all my meds (except for migraines) and I'm healthier than ever.  I go running and bike riding now.  I feel great....and that feeling is better than anything.

As far as the brands there isn't much of a difference as far as reliability and results.  It's like comparing Nike and Rebok...which one makes you run faster???  Everyone will have a preference but in the end they do the same thing.  I got Realize because it's what my surgeon prefered also...I went with his decsion.  I truly believe I would have had the same results with either band.

Good Luck!!!!
kathkeb
on 1/8/12 2:54 am
I got my Realize Band on 6-5-09 --- my surgeon uses both the Realize and the Allergan bands.

I got to touch and play with both, and I chose the Realize because of the feel of it and because I liked the way that the port 'clipped' into place (I think that the newer Allergan bands may do that now).

I have an 11cc band ---- it was placed in me empty - and I started to have fills at 4 weeks out (then every 3 weeks after that for a while -- then we spaced them out more.)

I got 4cc at my first fill -- and then less after that - and probably have about 9 cc in there now, but don't know for sure -- I just know that it is enough.

I lost 131 pounds over 18 months and have been maintaining my loss for a year now.

I have had great success with my band --- and my surgeon, love him!
Kath

Mrsdwhite
on 1/8/12 3:31 am
Oh boy guys I'm really excited I really appreciate all the feedback.
kathkeb
on 1/8/12 5:40 am
I wrote this last week -- and didn't want to re-write, so this is a cut and paste about my primary philosophy ----

One more thing ---- I never really expected the band to 'keep me from eating'.

I wanted something that would make dieting a little easier for me --- just a boost.

So, I started to eat better before my surgery (like a million times before, I cut out crappy carbs and ate more veggies and lean protein).

After I had my surgery, I visualized that I had this band around my stomach -- like a belt on a pair of jeans.  And I convinced myself that if I could diet BEFORE the band, that I could diet easier WITH the band ....even with no fluid in it.

I did not try to see how MUCH I could eat, I challenged myself to see how LITTLE I could eat and become satisfied.

Then, with every fill, I visualized that the band was a little tighter -- and that I had to be even more careful with my eating.

So much of this journey has been a mind game for me --- and the body has come along for the ride.
I acted 'as if' I had a sweet spot or restriction or whatever you want to call it.

I guarantee that getting the sweets out of my house and my life has made the whole thing easier.  Those foods work to convince me that 'one won't hurt, one more won't hurt' --- they will kill me.
Just like crack to an addict, 'one is one too many, because one more is never enough'.

I limit my choices and then eating is not really very exciting -- it is just food --- I eat one or 2 meals a week at a restaurant -- and enjoy whatever looks good to me (1/2 portion or less) and let it go.
At home, I eat the same old boring stuff day in and day out (like most normal weight people).
Kath

Mrsdwhite
on 1/8/12 5:55 am
I like your way of thinking, I'm gonna have to steal that, lol.
marymcd54
on 1/8/12 5:46 am - Warwick, RI
I got my realize band in July 2011 and love it! I have had two fills and look forward to another one
next Tuesday 1/10. I know my ticker says 42 pounds lost but is more like 50 something now.
I love the fact that I am not starving anymore and can eat smaller portions.
I am up to 3 miles on the treadmill a couple of days a week, should do more but sometimes just need a kick to get going.
I bought a size 18 pants yesterday after wearing size 26 I think I have done very well and I am
sure you will too! Good luck!
Marylmcd

Most Active