Sometimes I am reading to get this thing taken out.... any advice?

traceyls57
on 1/16/12 10:12 am
Ok, let me just say that without the band I am sure that I would still be almost 300 pounds or dead.

Here is my problem, Iam not getting to drink enough because of waiting a hour after everytime I eat, sometimes I have to wait longer or I get gas, you know the burping kind, and so uncomfortable. Sometimes I don't even have to eat and I am burping, it's crazy, sometime I will go lay on my stomach to get rid of it. I have had times where I am so much pain, that I just want to cry, or I feel so bloated that I am just so miserable.

I am thinking of having a complete unfill and see what happens, I would love to just drink like a normal person.... If I can still lose weight with the unfill I might just have the band taken out.

I love that I had the band, don't get me wrong, I have gone from almost 300 to my current weight of 233, yep, didn't get where I wanted to be, but I am tired of trying to keep hydrated and eat what I am suppose to.

Help with this would be so welcomed!!

Gp/weight.png[/img]
://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wp3oOyK/weight.png[/img]
[/url]

SeriouslyDoubtful
on 1/16/12 10:43 am
I got my band in 2007, I got to the point where I was not getting enough to drink in 2008, at that time, I had developed a hernia just above the band.  The doctor took all the fluid out of the band and told me that I would be fine and my stomach would heal itself.  I trusted my doctor and believed what he told me.  Had I known then what I know now, I would have forced someone, anyone to get the band out of me.  One month ago today I almost died because here almost 4 years later, the band had slipped anteriorly and destroyed over half of my stomach.  Over half of my stomach was dead and gangrene had started to set in.  They had to get the dead stomach and the band separated from my liver.  I still have a feeding tube in my stomach for another 3 weeks.  My life has completely changed and I didn't have the option. 

If you are having problems, make sure to get it checked out.  Don't think that just removing the fluid will solve the problem, it won't.

Good luck with your venture...  I will pray for you...
traceyls57
on 1/16/12 11:00 am
That is terrible, what were your symptoms? I have always had a hard time with staying hydrated, proly because I just have to wait to long after eating to drink without gas... some days are better, but I just want to feel like I can wait my hour and drink a gallon of water if I want to.

Gp/weight.png[/img]
[/url]

SeriouslyDoubtful
on 1/17/12 12:20 am
Ever since I had the fluids removed, I would have my "good food", "bad food" days.  I was told this was normal.  It is not...
A few days before my emergency surgery, I reached up putting a mini blind up and it felt as if I had pulled a muscle in my back.  There was severe pain like I have never felt, then over the next 2 days I couldn't hold anything down again, could barely move.  At first I thought it was because of my back pain, then after the 2nd full day I started thinking  back to 2008 when I  had the hernia.  I had a severe pain in my left shoulder, which I discovered later is a common sign of damage caused by the band.

Good luck with your venture.  I have been doing a lot of reading since my surgery (wish I had done it earlier).  There is a very high percentage of people that have had to have their lapband out due to major complications. 

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Wellness/lap-band-surgery-half- patients-complications/story?id=13187452#.TxPhq_mW2Sq

there is one sight that shows new studies to added complications of teh lapband.
MARIA F.
on 1/16/12 12:12 pm - Athens, GA
On January 16, 2012 at 6:43 PM Pacific Time, SeriouslyDoubtful wrote:
I got my band in 2007, I got to the point where I was not getting enough to drink in 2008, at that time, I had developed a hernia just above the band.  The doctor took all the fluid out of the band and told me that I would be fine and my stomach would heal itself.  I trusted my doctor and believed what he told me.  Had I known then what I know now, I would have forced someone, anyone to get the band out of me.  One month ago today I almost died because here almost 4 years later, the band had slipped anteriorly and destroyed over half of my stomach.  Over half of my stomach was dead and gangrene had started to set in.  They had to get the dead stomach and the band separated from my liver.  I still have a feeding tube in my stomach for another 3 weeks.  My life has completely changed and I didn't have the option. 

If you are having problems, make sure to get it checked out.  Don't think that just removing the fluid will solve the problem, it won't.

Good luck with your venture...  I will pray for you...

Omg that's horrible! Glad you pulled through!

There is one lady in the failed band group that was in the hospital last wk. and almost died. I think the tubing detached and poked a hole in her stomach. Then she got a staph infection.

PLease join the failed band group!

FormerlyFluffy.com

Hislady
on 1/16/12 11:12 am - Vancouver, WA
That's one of the things I love most about my empty band is I can finally drink a ton of water without it bubbling back up. That and being able to eat healthy food again! I've had mine empty for several months now and am holding my own on weight, haven't lost but have;nt gained either. Actually the band seems to be working better now than it did when filled. I still have some restriction but can eat my protein with out feeling like death afterwards.
MARIA F.
on 1/16/12 12:07 pm - Athens, GA
On January 16, 2012 at 7:12 PM Pacific Time, Hislady wrote:
That's one of the things I love most about my empty band is I can finally drink a ton of water without it bubbling back up. That and being able to eat healthy food again! I've had mine empty for several months now and am holding my own on weight, haven't lost but have;nt gained either. Actually the band seems to be working better now than it did when filled. I still have some restriction but can eat my protein with out feeling like death afterwards.

Well that bubbly water just matched your bubbly personality! ;-)

FormerlyFluffy.com

traceyls57
on 1/16/12 12:21 pm
Wow, another bander with this problem. I am actually crying because I have been so uncomfortable for a very long time, and thinking I am doing something wrong! I had restriction before I ever got the first fill, so I am hoping when I go down for a complete unfill that I will be able to mantain the same loss and even feel good enough to lose more. Thank you sooooo much for sharing!!

Gp/weight.png[/img]
[/url]

traceyls57
on 1/16/12 11:46 am
Hislady, thank you, thank you, I am so glad you replied, I was thinking I was the only one with this problem. As I am sitting here writing this, I am burping, and I haven't eaten since 6 pm, haven't drank anything yet, cause I am afraid I will get worse gas, or fill like my head will expolde from the pressure. I am one of the people who had restriction from no fill at first, and then after almost 4 years still feel like I missed the perfect fill stage. I drive 2 hours for a fill, and I go a very long time before I make the call to drive down for a fill or unfill. I am hoping that with the unfill I will be able to matain my loss and feel good enough to lose more weight.

So please tell me can you now drink while you eat or do you still have to wait the 1 hour of so to drink?

Gp/weight.png[/img]
[/url]

Hislady
on 1/17/12 8:04 am - Vancouver, WA
I can drink a big drink anytime, I usually wait 1/2 an hour tho after a meal to drink just so I don't wash the food thru. Our program only has us wait 1/2 hr which is pretty doable. Now if I'm eating and get dry mouth (from my meds) I will take a tiny sip or just swish some water around my mouth. If you had restriction from the get go you may be one of the lucky ones who needs little to no fill. I think it would be good for you to go empty for awhile anyway just to let your stomach rest and heal from all the trauma it's been thru. Then in a month or so if you are gaining then a teeny tiny fill and see how that goes. It's always better to go looser than tight with the band, being tight causes so many problems. If you have any particular questions please feel free to PM me I'm glad to answer anything I can help you with. Let us know how you do after the unfill.
Most Active