Honest opinions please.

MORTHNAPRTYFAC
on 3/23/12 2:15 am
VSG on 06/29/12
I had lapband surgery in 2007. Initially I was 320lbs. I got down to 170lbs. Currently I am at 209. I am not comfortable here. However I have been hang out in this area for over 6 months. I am diligent about fills and doctor visits. I have a 4cc band with a fill of 3.9 and still do not have the restriction I once had. Recently I started seeing a new doctor who decided to do a metabolic test on me (checks your resting metabolic rate to determine how many calorie you burn resting in 24hrs). I should burn at least 1700. I actually burn 1287. Very very very low. All of these factors have made me contemplate revision to a sleeve. Please tell me what you really think about this. Don't get me wrong my band has been my friend however I believe that we have come to the end of our long journey and may need to part before my weight gets out of control again.
natalie C.
on 3/23/12 2:40 am - Hialeah, FL
Initially, I was going to get the band. I am so glad, I went for the sleeve.

Are you eating well?

I got stuck at 207 for a couple months and it was because I was eating terrible. I started dieting and exercising. Now I am at 184. Still working on it.

NanaB.
on 3/23/12 8:45 am
On March 23, 2012 at 9:40 AM Pacific Time, natalie C. wrote:

Are you eating well?

I got stuck at 207 for a couple months and it was because I was eating terrible. I started dieting and exercising. Now I am at 184. Still working on it.
You said:

So are you saying you don't have to exercise and watch your carbs with the Sleeve????

I don't want to  burst your DREAM BUBBLE..but lap banders CAN get their band adjusted MUCH MUCH tighter than a Sleeve....so if she can't lose weight with a lap band what makes you think the Sleeve will perform miracles?

Are you overall Happy with your Band and want a postive environment to stay on track? Join us and become a member of our Happy Lap Band Group Keep it bookmarked! http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Happy_Successful_Banders/ 

Bubble S.
on 3/23/12 3:35 am
Hi,
The Band and the Sleeve are the restrictive surgeries only.  Every calorie we put in our mouth we consume.  So the Sleeve may give you the same results.

If you have a metabolic problem then the RNY would be the surgery of choice I think.

I have been lazy with my eating ( I started eating sugar and carbs in excess at Halloween and did not stop until a month ago - and have had a 15lb + regain)  I have been following a very low carb diet for the last month and have lost 13lbs, and the cravings for sugar - yes even at the TOM have disappeared.  I am amazed.

I always wanted crackers for the crunch factor of my lunch.  Now I eat sliced cucumber or my lastest fave is to microwave a slice of Swiss or Munster cheese for 1 minute and it comes out like a big fat cheese chip.  Amazing and so much better for me than the crackers I was eating.

Before you go the route of a revision surgery , try and give your band one last chance.  Sometimes a calorie is not always a calorie.  Track your intake every day for 2 weeks on a website like www.mydailyplate.com and really see the break down of your food intake.  I was amazed to see some days my carb intake was 130grms +  No wonder I was not loosing any weight.

Best of luck on your decision.
 Remember, if you want to be a 155 pound person, you have to EAT like one. 
  View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

cheyenne000
on 3/23/12 3:37 am
VSG on 03/25/16
Can you tell me how they did a metabolic test. Thank you

Lapband - Jan 2009 weight goal reached with lapband. Revised to VSG- 1/25/16

Lisaizme
on 3/25/12 7:12 am - TX
On March 23, 2012 at 10:37 AM Pacific Time, cheyenne000 wrote:
Can you tell me how they did a metabolic test. Thank you
 Jodi,

I had metabolic testing done in either Sept or Dec 2011.  I sat in a recliner and they put a soft clothespin on my nose and I had to breathe into a tube for about 10 or 15 minutes.  I think I paid about $75.00 for the test.  I think mine said that I could consume 1500 to 1700 calories a day and still lose.  I don't remember exactly because I didn't believe it.

There's also a test called a "Bod-Pod" that I think might be more accurate.  Have no idea what it would cost.

To the OP:  revise if you want, but I think if you could increase your exercise, it might increase your metabolism.  I have no idea what you're doing now or what might be your exercise limitations.

Good luck in whatever you chose.
Lisa
"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." Reinhold Niebuhr

MORTHNAPRTYFAC
on 3/29/12 2:32 am
VSG on 06/29/12
Jodi,

My Physician has what looks like a breathing treatment machine. A nose plug is place over your nose and you breath trough a tube in and out for 12mins. It is very uncomfortable but worth the knowledge.
kathkeb
on 3/23/12 5:20 am
I agree with Bubble S -- VSG is restrictive only --- so, it will have not change on your metabolism and in order to lose more weight with it, you will have to further restrict your calories or increase your metabolic rate through exercise.

RNY and DS have malabsorption -- RNY seems to last for a few years and then absorption of calories slows down and you will be back in the same boat.

If your band is still working to restrict your intake, my honest assessment is increase exercise and cut your calories to 1,200 ---

When you say that you no longer have the restriction you used to have, it is possible that you are eating more processed carbs than you were before -- those are alot easier to consume for me.
Kath

(deactivated member)
on 3/23/12 6:06 am - Mexico
On March 23, 2012 at 9:15 AM Pacific Time, MORTHNAPRTYFAC wrote:
I had lapband surgery in 2007. Initially I was 320lbs. I got down to 170lbs. Currently I am at 209. I am not comfortable here. However I have been hang out in this area for over 6 months. I am diligent about fills and doctor visits. I have a 4cc band with a fill of 3.9 and still do not have the restriction I once had. Recently I started seeing a new doctor who decided to do a metabolic test on me (checks your resting metabolic rate to determine how many calorie you burn resting in 24hrs). I should burn at least 1700. I actually burn 1287. Very very very low. All of these factors have made me contemplate revision to a sleeve. Please tell me what you really think about this. Don't get me wrong my band has been my friend however I believe that we have come to the end of our long journey and may need to part before my weight gets out of control again.

Have you ever ever ever had a port infection?  Have you been checked for erosion?
Zee Starrlite
on 3/23/12 7:19 am
OMG Michelle  - I've missed you so much.  I didn't think I could do it without your support.  You were there for me when I still had my fingers in my ears afraid to listen.  Thank you for saving me from plicating!

My sleeved stomach is a little too normal - it's fantastic though, really beautiful.  I'm not getting skinny fast yet I am working it.  I will be at "normal chart weight" by my one year.

Hope all is okay with you - I worried a bit for you.

(((BIG HUGS)))
Leila

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Most Active