Unfill BEFORE surgery?

Jeppa
on 4/22/12 10:57 am
Revision on 06/02/15
Hi all,  I am scheduled for a hysterectomy this summer and it has been suggested by someone that I should get completely unfilled before surgery so as not to have complications.  Has anyone had a surgery unrelated to WLS after being banded? I'm curious as to your experiences. My only hesitation of being unfilled before surgery is that my doc is in Mexico...and since I am already taking several weeks off for the hysterectomy, I can't really afford to take time off to run to Mexico to be unfilled...

12.25.08 - Starting Weight: 408...7.30.09 - Surgery  Weight: 336

6.2.15 - Revision Surgery (Lap removal/RNY) Wt: 295

kathkeb
on 4/22/12 12:14 pm
I have had 2 surgeries since my banding.

I had Brachioplasty and a Breast Lift about 18 months ago --- did not get an unfill before or after.
Had no nausea and no problems.

I had a tummy tuck 7 weeks ago --- did not get an unfill before it.

I did go in about 10 days ago and have about 1/2 cc removed because I felt tight after a plane trip to Atlanta.
I feel as though my stomach is smaller since my TT ---- I know he didn't change my actual stomach, but I just feel fuller on less food now that my abdominal muscles are tighter.

Personally, I would not worry about it -- make sure you have some anti-nausea stuff on hand, to limit your need to vomit following the anesthesia.

Kath

Hislady
on 4/22/12 2:01 pm - Vancouver, WA
I've had at least 6 surgeries (on my feet mostly) but also my gallbladder since being banded and didn't get an unfill for any of them. Not even a partial for my gall bladder so it may not be necccesary. My surgeon said the only time I would need and unfill would be if I needed and actual stomach surgery of some kind so you should good.
-Mari-
on 4/22/12 2:24 pm
I've had one surgery and did not have an unfill before,but had to get some out a while after. I would have some taken out, but not it all. Something to do with anesthesia can make it tighter, I think that's what I heard any way. But since you have to go all the way to Mexico you will just have to decide. Good luck!
 Mari  Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels!
vlp1968
on 4/23/12 2:52 am
I have had 2 plastic surgeries since being banded, didn't get an unfill for either one.
Jeppa
on 4/23/12 8:46 pm
Revision on 06/02/15
Thank you everyone for your input. I think I might be able to get away without an unfill. Maybe I'm just paranoid But I suppose I could do a bit of a "self-prevention" before hand by sticking to clear liquids for a couple of days before and a couple of days after, just in case. (wouldn't hurt me on the scale either LOL) - Thanks again every one!

12.25.08 - Starting Weight: 408...7.30.09 - Surgery  Weight: 336

6.2.15 - Revision Surgery (Lap removal/RNY) Wt: 295

Lisaizme
on 4/24/12 9:08 am - TX
 I had a hyst before banding and was required to do a bowel prep and be on clear liquids for a day before surgery.

You might check with your surgeon and see what your pre-op prep is.  If you do have to do a bowel prep, see if they can do one that is low volume.  I had to drink a gallon of stuff fairly quickly.  

Good luck with your surgery.  

P.S.  If your situation allows for a DaVinci Hyst.. I highly recommend it.  Recovery is very fast and tiny tiny scars.
Lisa
"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." Reinhold Niebuhr

Most Active