Weird.

Michelle_W
on 5/4/12 9:50 pm
Adjustable Gastric Band on 11/10/11
 All of a sudden, I am having pain after eating meals and some food comes up.  This happens especcially with chicken.  I did not think that there was too much in my band.  Has this happened to anyone?  I am trying to eat slower and chew more.  I don't want to have fluid removed if I don't have to.  Is this normal somethimes?  Michelle.

NanaB.
on 5/4/12 10:47 pm, edited 5/4/12 10:48 pm
You are being vague...first of all we do NOT know how tight your band is, secondly you mention you are having pain, what type of pain? Is the pain in your chest area? Or does the food go down hard from not chewing well and you end up PBing?

Also MOST people who've suffered band slippage and removal says the same thing you say, they did not think their band was too tight. Not being able to eat solid meat is the FIRST indicator that your band is too tight and secondly PBing AKA...bandster vomiting on a regular basis will eventually cause pouch dilation, meaning if your band is too tight to eat solids it will stretch if you keep forcing solids on a too tight band.

One important thing to remember while living with your lap band, if you plan on GOING TIGHT, then you need to adjust your diet and only eat soft and pureed foods, diet exercise and lose the weight, once you are done with that, you need to BACK UP OFF SALINE, you can't just live and eat regular food on a very restricted band, this is the MOST COMMON MISTAKE that many bandster make...hence why there is so many removals, you can end up slipping band or causing esophageal damage if you continue day end and day out forcing solids down a too tight band, and causing daily vomiting which will lead to reflux.

All that said, dark moist meat will slide down easier than thick white dry meat, if you can't eat moist meat you are TOO TIGHT, and if you don't want to get a small amount of fluid removed -- FOR NOW-- you need to go on a liquid diet while you are tight and once you are satisfied with your weight, THEN YOU NEED TO GET SOME FLUID REMOVED, YOU CANNOT KEEP A TOO TIGHT FILL FOR LONG PERIODS OF TIME WITHOUT DAMAGE BEING DONE, IT'S MUCH CHEAPER TO REMOVE A SMALL AMOUNT OF SALINE THAN TO EVENTUALLY GET THE BAND REMOVED....YOU CANNOT GET AROUND THIS...SORRY.

AND NO....with a properly restricted band it's NOT NORMAL TO VOMIT OFTEN.

Good luck
 Are you overall Happy with your Band and want a postive environment to stay on track? Join us and become a member of our Happy Lap Band Group Keep it bookmarked! http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Happy_Successful_Banders/ 

cheyenne000
on 5/4/12 11:18 pm
VSG on 03/25/16
You need to call your doctor. You should never have pain when eating and should never keep your band to tight that you cant eat solid protein. even if you don't have to much in your band you may need a slight UN fill. Hope you get relief soon

Lapband - Jan 2009 weight goal reached with lapband. Revised to VSG- 1/25/16

grannymedic1
on 5/4/12 11:46 pm - Lake Odessa, MI
Revision on 08/21/12
You may not have too much fluid in your band. Sometimes the tissue around the band will swell and cause increased tightness. When that happens for more than a very few days you must get some fluid removed. It doesn't have to be much but it is better to have some out than to risk complications. Never, not ever let a too tight band go. Having an unfill will not cause you to stop losing weight or gain weight but having a band too tight will. When you think about it you realize that when too tight we are more likely to turn to foods that will go down, like sliders.

Since this is the weekend try doing liquids for 24 hours to give things a break. Tomorrow do softs and if you can't return to solids by Mon. you need to call your doc. If at any time you have difficulty swallowing liquids or vomiting continues you must call the surgeons emergency number or head to the ER. Never, never let that go.

I know how discouraging this feels but I have been through it and it isn't so bad. Three weeks ago I had all my fluid removed because the tightness really snuck up on me before I caught on that I was nearly in trouble. I still am not having hunger and this week I lost 3.6 pounds of what I had gained when relying on sliders.

Good luck,
Sue

Highest weight: 212.8 Current weight 135 Lost 77.8 pounds

Michelle_W
on 5/5/12 8:17 am
Sorry that I was too vague.  I have 5 cc of saline in my band.  I had a fill of .25 about two weeks ago, and I was ok.  Maybe the tissues are swollen as was suggested.  I will call the doc's office on Monday.  Thank you all for the advice.  Michelle.

Hislady
on 5/5/12 11:35 am - Vancouver, WA
Well 5cc is fairly full for some folks just depends on the person. It could also be that it took this long for your fill to kick in, for some people it can be a week or two until they feel the fill. I don't know if it just hangs out in the tubing ot what but if it continues do get a small unfill, as little as .1 cc can be enough to ease the problems. For a day or 2 tho I would do liquids or mushies to let your tummy calm down.
Valerie12
on 5/5/12 1:05 pm
 I have the same problem with meat.  I can only eat salmon very little.  Try going on a liquid diet and drink fresh juices made of vegatables.  Eventually your band will losen up just in the begining it is hard to eat foods that are not soft. Treat your stomach like a baby.  Go slow.  if that doesn't work go back to the Dr. and have them look at the band.  

Good Luck to you

Valerie
Michelle_W
on 5/5/12 8:32 pm
Thanks.  I never thought that it would take a while for the fill to work.  I am eating soft foods until I can call the doc. 
looking4hope
on 5/6/12 2:15 am
I have had problems with my band being tight after a fill and have had some fluid taken out after a fill twice. There are other reasons. I have found that my body is so sensitive. When I get my period my body swells so much that my band gets tight for a day or two and when I am under extreme stress my band gets tight. Now these things aren't everyday occurrences and I am normal fine. I would say do liquids for a day or two and if you are still having trouble see your doc.
Highest 317 6/1 start pre-op diet312 6/15 2 days before surgery303 6/22 5 days post-op296  6/28 11 days post-op  290 7/5 18 days post-op 288 8/19 10 weeks post-op 278 9/10 274 11/6 268 2/18 257 3/26 249 5/14 237

Michelle_W
on 5/6/12 2:25 am
Thank you.

Most Active