question

Wendybrum
on 7/9/12 2:41 pm - Oceanside, NY
 As many of you know i go to camp for the summer. I had issues last summer after camp, Now i can eat but have some heart burn hours later, I am having issues with drinking. I bought prilosec to help haven't taken it yet.
Tonight i did something stupid. I drank a new water that was sparkiling. It had too many bubbbles. Not a lot but more than a few sips. 
A little while ago o drank snapple and wanted to barf. I finally did and it wasn't pretty.
I am better now but could it have been a residual from the bubbles??
Wendy
MARIA F.
on 7/9/12 2:50 pm - Athens, GA

If you have been avoiding carbonation then it could very well be b/c of that. If you're not used to it or drank it a little too quickly I would think it could cause that. However...........please go and get checked! The heartburn and having issues drinking are NOT a good sign! Please get this checked as soon as possible. The longer you wait the more damage that could possibly occur.

FormerlyFluffy.com

Annac
on 7/9/12 3:07 pm - Royal Oak, MI
Speaking from experience...if you are having hear burn- request to have UpperGI just to make sure your band did not slip. Don't mean to scare you but mine did. Listen to your gut.
NanaB.
on 7/9/12 7:38 pm
 Please be more specific, are you having issues with drinking and eating? Also over the years I've had my band frequent use of sparkling beverages can stretch the pouch, but drinking a flat soda every now and that is harmless. Also depending on how TIGHT your band is carbonation will cause vomiting. 

Frequent heartburn can happen when your band is too tight and also it can happen after you've gotten your band unfilled DUE TO BEING TOO TIGHT and the acid will rise up from all the irritation from being too tight, if your band is not snug to keep the acid down.

I would suggest calling your surgeon if your heartburn does not go away. violent vomiting from liquids sounds like are too tight and you are putting your band at risk of slippage. Always remember as long as you keep your band, if you are having "issues"  even it's from eating to much and you've gotten irritated that last longer than 1-2 weeks, it's time to see your surgeon -- band slippage is NOT easy to occur and preventable if you follow up with your surgeon when you are having issues, time is of the essence, if you ignore issues, you can suffer band damage and when band damage occur an unfill will not help...only band removal will.

Also...ps. Protonix is the script for bandsters since it's strong and will heal any type of severe heartburn, not over the counter prilosec.

Good luck
 Are you overall Happy with your Band and want a postive environment to stay on track? Join us and become a member of our Happy Lap Band Group Keep it bookmarked! http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Happy_Successful_Banders/ 

Wendybrum
on 7/10/12 1:51 am - Oceanside, NY
  Nana I thought my doc had told me prilosec or nexxium
Tarris
on 7/9/12 10:23 pm
Wendy,

I apologise but I can't recall how long you've been banded?  If you're within the first 6 months you obviously need to be VERY careful about drinking carbonation...because you're really still healing.  If your past that, my doc says it's ok but that I should be prepared for not being able to "handle" the carbonations as well as I used to.  He told me that the band sort of changes the air pressure down there...that it's not as easy to expell gas through burping as it was preband.  So if you threw up, that might be why.

But that said, I've had diet carbonated beverages since being banded, and while they occaisionally cause me some mild discomfort if I take too big a sip, I haven't ever thrown up.  So it never hurts to call your doc...especially if you are having heartburn...that is never a good sign.

Wendybrum
on 7/10/12 1:44 am - Oceanside, NY
 I never drink carbonation and I am banded
2 1/2 yrs
Stephanie M.
on 7/10/12 2:12 am
On July 9, 2012 at 9:41 PM Pacific Time, Wendybrum wrote:
 As many of you know i go to camp for the summer. I had issues last summer after camp, Now i can eat but have some heart burn hours later, I am having issues with drinking. I bought prilosec to help haven't taken it yet.
Tonight i did something stupid. I drank a new water that was sparkiling. It had too many bubbbles. Not a lot but more than a few sips. 
A little while ago o drank snapple and wanted to barf. I finally did and it wasn't pretty.
I am better now but could it have been a residual from the bubbles??
Wendy
Pardon me for logging out to see what sort of advice was given in a hidden response...

Please be more specific, are you having issues with drinking and eating? Also over the years I've had my band frequent use of sparkling beverages can stretch the pouch, but drinking a flat soda every now and that is harmless. Also depending on how TIGHT your band is carbonation will cause vomiting. This is an absolute statement of misinformation.  Everyone is different and will respond differently to individual foods and beverages.  I was told to avoid carbonation by my band doctor for the first 3 months post op and then I was cleared to try it and see how it affected me.  Wendy did not say she vomited.  She said she felt like vomiting.  Wendy is an experienced successful bandster and was asking a specific question regarding a specific incident.

Frequent heartburn can happen when your band is too tight and also it can happen after you've gotten your band unfilled DUE TO BEING TOO TIGHT and the acid will rise up from all the irritation from being too tight, if your band is not snug to keep the acid down.  What??  The band keeps acid down if it is tight enough?  No, it is the sphincter muscle at the top of the stomach that keeps acid down and out of the esophagus.  This is again, specific medical misinformation.  Wendy did not say she had frequent heartburn and also stated it wasn't bad enough to have to take her medication.

I would suggest calling your surgeon if your heartburn does not go away. violent vomiting from liquids sounds like are too tight and you are putting your band at risk of slippage.   Who said anything about violent vomiting?  Not the OP.  Always remember as long as you keep your band, if you are having "issues"  even it's from eating to much and you've gotten irritated that last longer than 1-2 weeks, it's time to see your surgeon -- band slippage is NOT easy to occur and preventable if you follow up with your surgeon when you are having issues, time is of the essence, if you ignore issues, you can suffer band damage and when band damage occur an unfill will not help...only band removal will.

Also...ps. Protonix is the script for bandsters since it's strong and will heal any type of severe heartburn, not over the counter prilosec.  This is outright medical advice.  

Good luck

Wendy, I drink champagne on occasion, and once in a very long while drink a few sips of a pepsi next.  I am having issues, but trust me it isn't related to drinking carbonated beverages.  It is my band and the scar tissue that seems to have developed under it around my stomach, in essence creating a "natural" band.  My band wasn't too tight (3.5 cc in an 11cc Realize Band), is completely unfilled for 4 weeks now and I am still getting stuck, not able to eat veggies and salad without vomiting and I followed all the band rules precisely and they were presented by my very competent team of Bariatric Surgeon, PA and Nutritionist at Virginia Mason Seattle.  The only advice I would give you at this point would be to follow your doctor's instructions and seek further medical attention if this continues to give you problems.  I am just about positive this will be pulled due to one of the drones following orders from the Queen Bee and mommy buttoning me.  I will cross post on the unmoderated board before posting here to preserve the information.

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

grannymedic1
on 7/10/12 4:34 am - Lake Odessa, MI
Revision on 08/21/12
I appreciate you correcting the errors. We have to be careful when answering posts that we state that something is in our own opinion, and that we never give medical advice. The advice was well intentioned but went a bit too far.
Sue

Highest weight: 212.8 Current weight 135 Lost 77.8 pounds

Bette B.
on 7/10/12 9:42 am
 Also...ps. Protonix is the script for bandsters since it's strong and will heal any type of severe heartburn, not over the counter prilosec.  This is outright medical advice.  

It's outright and it's also outright wrong. NO Rx is ever right for EVERYONE, and if you ask surgeons, most will say that an OTC med is perfectly fine.

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

Most Active