Revision surgery

five0fan
on 7/15/12 9:11 am
VSG on 01/25/13
I have not posted here since I had my band removed back in March, because it had slipped down causing big problems. The worst news is that my weight has increased (big surprise), and I took the first steps by contacting my obesity doctor for a revision to a VSG. If he will to it I will have the vsg done.  I will after surgery, and be moving over to the vsg forums, but I have spent countless hours on this site and still come here for some reason.  I have spent many hours considering which surgery to have(my insurance will cover any of them).  Does anyone have a opion on my choice of surgery's??  Thanks, I have many memories here.

Highest weight: 302 / Pre-surgery weight: 240              

SueBee01
on 7/15/12 9:57 am - Orange Park, FL
Lap Band on 01/30/12
If something ever happened to my band, I would try to do it on my own or if I still needed a WLS my choice (at this time) would be the sleeve.

Best wishes to you.
 Sue

kathkeb
on 7/15/12 12:02 pm
I know a few people who have revised from band to VSG and great success.

I wish the same for you.

Best of luck
Kath

pineview01
on 7/15/12 2:59 pm, edited 7/15/12 3:00 pm - Davison, MI
I am getting my band out.  I will be trying to get the VSG.  I'm done with the artificial opening.  The sleeve leaves you with a natural stoma in and out of the stomach.  It also removes most of the stomach that produced the hunger hormon.

I have done research and felt it was what I would be best for me even before I was banded.

Have you scooped out the revision boards?  Also check out the boards of any surgery you are thinking about.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Greg M.
on 7/15/12 7:11 pm - Cincinnati, OH
I had the sleeve after two slips with my band.  I'm doing very well and suffer no ill effects from the sleeve.  Most of the time I don't even know that I've had anything done except that I get full very quickly.  At 7 months I am 4 pounds lower than my lowest band weight and only have about 12 - 15 pounds left to hit goal.  My diabetes is in remission and I'm off all my other medications.

I was in the surgery center for 23 hours post op and on pain meds for only 6 days.  Back to work in two weeks, back to the gym in a month.  I track all of my food on myfitnesspal.com and try to get 80 -100 grams of protein while keeping my carbs at ~ 100 grams.  For me that works out to about 1300 calories per day.

Post op bathroom issues lasted for about 6 weeks.  I eat 4 times a day and don't feel that hungry most of the time.  I wish you well in your decision!

Dr. Curry did find and repair a large hiatial hernia during my sleeve surgery and my GERD and acid reflux is MUCH better.  Dr. Curry is a very skilled surgeon, answered all my questions and has a great staff and support clinic.

Lapband 12/11/08 - Slip 6/16/09 - 2nd Slip & Removal 8/3/09...Sleeve 12/22/11

nicole u
on 7/18/12 6:03 am - holbrook, NY
Revision on 12/01/08 with
I had the band removed and had the RNY.  Each person is different, but I Love my RNY and wouldn't change a thing...except for having the band in the first place!  I would have NEVER gotten that stupid thing and I would have been skinny 4 years earlier!  Good luck!

298/182/143
Surgery/ Current/ Goal

bethmalone
on 7/19/12 8:28 am
 There are tons of band to sleeve revisions on the vsg board, come over and visit us if you have any questions.  I can't believe the difference in the wls boards.  It seems tons of complications and no loss on the lap band board.  VSG board if full of "I made it to goal, I love my sleeve" posts.  I'm only 7 weeks revised to sleeve from band and to be honest, I do love my sleeve.  the band stole all my self esteem and confidence, I thought there was something wrong with ME until I found out most people with bands have problems.... good luck!

Most Active