Nasogastric Tube (NG tube) with the band

michele1
on 9/4/12 12:30 pm
Revision on 07/07/15
Hello everyone.........

It has been a long time since I have been here........I hope everyone is doing ok.

Has anyone ever had a NG tube while having the lapband? If so did you have to have all the fluid out first and if the fluid was taken out did they still have to use a guide of some kind like a endoscopy or another type? 

I have to have colon resection surgery and might have to get one.  I have gained a considerable amount of weight but I would still like to keep the band in one piece LOL. Of course will be checking with my Surgeon but was curious in the meantime.

Thanks Michele!
MARIA F.
on 9/4/12 1:08 pm - Athens, GA

The fluid doesn't need to be removed. They just can't do a blind NG.

FormerlyFluffy.com

michele1
on 9/5/12 12:39 pm
Revision on 07/07/15
Thanks!!! I was thinking that the stoma would be too small for the tube to get through....I'd really like to keep the level I have now.....gained with this level wouldn't like to see what it is like without it LOL.......

Michele
kathkeb
on 9/4/12 2:45 pm
I have not had an NG tube -- so can't answer your question.

I have had 2 endoscopies -- with no fluid removal first.

My gastroenterologist laughed at me because I told him 5 or 6 times "be careful, I have a lap band" -- my first words to him and my last words as I was going under the anesthesia -- and a few times in between!!

Best of luck with your procedure.
Kath

michele1
on 9/5/12 12:46 pm
Revision on 07/07/15
Thanks for the response and luck!!! Oh, I will be shouting it from the roof top about my band to everyone LOL......my Oncology Surgeon knows nothing about the band...........he said at one point he hopes it won't get in the way............ugh, the band is no where near the large colon thank you......he does have my Surgeons information and the hospital I am having my surgery at has a Bariatric program so that is a small comfort.

Michele
Kate -True Brit
on 9/4/12 2:46 pm - UK
 Never had one but I once asked my surgeon. He said the end of the tube is hard and smaller than even the tightest band. So it should go through without problem. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

michele1
on 9/5/12 12:52 pm
Revision on 07/07/15
Hey Kate!!!! I hope you are right, not looking forward to having a feeding tube let alone the chance to screw up my band.........my insurance now has a only 1 weight loss surgery per lifetime limit....... 

Thanks!!!!

Michele
Most Active